JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

Magicka is 75% off today on steam (it's under 7 Euros), people should definitely pick this game up if they haven't already done so! it brings all the content apart from the new content released today (3 new costumes*)

*One of the costumes is a purple Tentacle

Thanks to a Sega sale on Steam, Alpha Protocol is currently $2. At this point, it doesn't even matter that I personally think it's a brilliant but unfortunately deeply flawed game. You can find out for yourself for a dollar less than taking the bus will cost you in my city. Check it out.

Thanks to a Sega sale on Steam, Alpha Protocol is currently $2. At this point, it doesn't even matter that I personally think it's a brilliant but unfortunately deeply flawed game. You can find out for yourself for a dollar less than taking the bus will cost you in my city. Check it out.

Yeah I bought it for $5 last steam sale, couldn't get it working at all, there were so many work arounds to get it to authenticate because I guess the sega code server is done, nothing worked.

So just word of warning to anyone, maybe the steam version is better.

Yeah I bought it for $5 last steam sale, couldn't get it working at all, there were so many work arounds to get it to authenticate because I guess the sega code server is done, nothing worked.

So just word of warning to anyone, maybe the steam version is better.

Funny for it to come up, I'm actually about to re-install the game (having rage re-installed it last year) and give it another go.

Also, this GOG promotion is quite a neat idea I think, particularly for heathens like me who missed out on a lot of these D&D based games first time round:

http://www.gog.com/en/page/dnd_promo/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=game_subject&utm_campaign=dnd_promo

The Company of Heroes games are also 80% off on Steam, and the Gold pack is £2.99. Sounds like a deal to me.

Edit: Actually, here's an interesting quirk. The 'Complete Pack' for CoH - which gets you the main game and the two expansions - is slashed to £5.39, which is 2p dearer than buying the three games individually, and, weirdly, 39p more expensive than getting the Gold Pack + Tales of Valor.

Pennies! Although Tales of Valo(u)r doesn't seem to be rated that well, so I might drop that and throw in Alpha Protocol instead.

Pennies! Although Tales of Valo(u)r doesn't seem to be rated that well, so I might drop that and throw in Alpha Protocol instead.

Tales of Valour adds nothing of use and in fact unbalances the game in a couple serious ways, so you can avoid it without any major repercussions.

Does anyone know if the Steam version of AP gets authenticated differently then other versions? Because Im am willing to pay an extra $2 just to get the f@#$ing thing running.

EDIT: $2 and 11gb later I can tell you in fact, that it does work and is completely painless. Wow, I remember getting it for $5 from direct drive a month ago and went through about 3 hours of trial and error/google searching to try to authenticate the damn thing.

Anyway, just download and hit play, yayyyy, I now get to play it!.

Edited by Murdoc

I just know I'm going to buy the Sega Classics Collection, but it sucks that it's not a real collection and that every game is separate, it's nice for those who want to buy individual titles, but the other collections have them all in one program, which is much less messy. :S

I dunno... 230 games isn't any less cluttery than 200 games, in my personal situation. I guess if your Steam library is less substantial than mine, it might be more of a problem.

I guess I'm really miffed by the fact that if doesn't feel like a true retro collection without a menu with extras and maybe even some unlockables, but then again, I haven't bought them yet, so who knows? Maybe there is some extra content in each individual game?

But I'll follow your suggestions to deal with the clutter.

Eh, the Ultimate Genesis Collection wasn't particularly better on consoles despite having the setup you're talking about. There were achievements, but that was about it as far as I remember.

Both versions I have has unlockable games and interviews, different games in each version though.

Well, it looks like I was wrong, even though they sell them individually, it is a "proper" collection in the sense that you just install one program with all the games, but it has no extras at all, although it does seem to offer more graphical options than the PSN and XBLA versions obviously.

It does have quite a few games that aren't in the other collections but have been available in the Wii Virtual console, like Alien Soldier and Gunstar Heroes.

Has anybody asked about the Aliens Vs. Predators game? It is worth it? :erm:

Has anybody asked about the Aliens Vs. Predators game? It is worth it? :erm:

I played it on the PS3, and I can tell you that it has reasonably interesting concepts, but the execution of them feels quite lacklustre.

Human is just a bog-standard FPS campaign with a couple cool weapons and some clunky controls (or at least on the PS3 they were, I imagine they may be a bit smoother on PC)

Alien is a slightly annoying free running/stealth thing. It's a nice idea, but you might get slightly frustrated at times.

Predator allows you to play as a stealthy tank, that has to kill lots and lots of things.

But you might like it more than me.

I played it on the PS3, and I can tell you that it has reasonably interesting concepts, but the execution of them feels quite lacklustre.

Human is just a bog-standard FPS campaign with a couple cool weapons and some clunky controls (or at least on the PS3 they were, I imagine they may be a bit smoother on PC)

Alien is a slightly annoying free running/stealth thing. It's a nice idea, but you might get slightly frustrated at times.

Predator allows you to play as a stealthy tank, that has to kill lots and lots of things.

But you might like it more than me.

Did you play the previous two AvP games? How does it hold up to them?

Did you play the previous two AvP games? How does it hold up to them?

It doesn't.

The basic three team multiplayer mode is all about getting special executions (stand behind enemy, press F on PC) and devolves into foolish shit pretty quickly. Predators are generally overpowered, both with their various toys and the fact that they can take several aliens/humans on in melee at once.

The campaigns aren't bad for the 4 bucks or whatever they're asking for it, but don't expect AvP1/2 again.

Later: Welp, can't play Alpha Protocol 'cause my eyes can't handle computer hacking. Wonderful shit, Obsidian.

Edited by Orvidos

Apparently Steam can run out of serial keys during promotions. :fart:

I still can't play Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor.