JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

I saw that MGSV: Ground Zeroes was on sale digitally on PSN for $13-ish with PS+ and almost grabbed it, but I'm glad I didn't because it's $9.99 w/ FS at Gamefly used -

http://slickdeals.net/f/7241690-gamefly-9-99-used-game-sale-metal-gear-solid-v-ground-zeroes-ps4-or-xbox-one-batman-arkham-origins-ps3-or-360-need-for-speed-rivals-360-9-99-each-with-free-shipping?src=pdw&v=1

Enhance. What does it mean to you now?

I dunno, part of it I'm sure is going to the strategy games thread about Paradox games and kind of getting jaded with the whole thing. After they put our Rajas of India in a fairly broken state and their general move toward emphasising the multiplayer (which is fun, don't get me wrong, but fairly impractical most of the time) I don't really like the way the game is going. I'd say if you could play it as it was two years ago (specifically when Old Gods came out) I'd recommend it hands down, but even if you don't buy the expansion, they still do these major balance patches that are pretty much stuffed down your throat.

It was my favorite game of 2012, but I don't play it much anymore. I guess I'm just feeling pessimistic today.

Edit: Back on topic, I mentioned this in the Middle-Earth thread but, just in case it was missed there, GreenManGaming's current code for October is good for another day. OCTOBE-R25OFF-GMGXXX gets you 25% a few recent games such as Middle-Earth:Shadow of Mordor and I think a pre-order for Alien:Isolation as well.

I dunno, part of it I'm sure is going to the strategy games thread about Paradox games and kind of getting jaded with the whole thing. After they put our Rajas of India in a fairly broken state and their general move toward emphasising the multiplayer (which is fun, don't get me wrong, but fairly impractical most of the time) I don't really like the way the game is going. I'd say if you could play it as it was two years ago (specifically when Old Gods came out) I'd recommend it hands down, but even if you don't buy the expansion, they still do these major balance patches that are pretty much stuffed down your throat.

It was my favorite game of 2012, but I don't play it much anymore. I guess I'm just feeling pessimistic today.

No, I think you're justified. Now that Chris King is gone, Johan Andersson has become the biggest influence on Paradox's design philosophy, and he's focused on multiplayer to the point of myopia. Tuning a systems-based game of emergent narratives for multiplayer balance feels like a lesson in unintended consequences. Hundreds of events and decisions are nerfed or buffed to make sure that no one can upset the game just by getting lucky, meaning that i) there isn't the same potential for wild swings of fortune from some random event during a hunt, so it's a slower and flatter experience overall, and ii) the exploits that will always exist in this kind of game become all the more powerful for the ways they allow the developer's increasingly restrictive and prescriptive intent to be circumvented.

I just played a 867 Byzantium start that was really fun, but I got bored around 1240 because there were no more challenges or surprises to be had. I have never failed to play a game to completion before, short of a corrupted save or a dynasty wipe. Still, for someone with a less than perfect understanding of history and the game's systems, I think there's twenty or thirty hours of fun to be had before everything I've written above becomes apparent.

It is possible to tell the game to revert to an earlier version though. I forget how, but I did that to be able to play an old save after the game had a big update that made it incompatible.

Hmm, how's the PC work on the new Tomb Raider. My wife bought it on Xbox 360, but for only $4 it might be worth it to just get the PC version.

The PC version of TR is excellent, though I played it with a controller so I can't speak for MK controls. I honestly still feel that the PC version trumps the Definitive Edition even with my relatively aged PC (i5 Ivy Bridge, 7870 2gb).

Every Tomb Raider game 80% off until October 17th, fans of the original should check out Anniversary and Underworld if they haven't yet. Now I'm also going to finally find out how Guardian of Light is.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/49800/

The old ones are worth getting/playing as well in my opinion. I went through I & II this year, hope I have time for III and TLR as well. Still great games if you ask me, not without their issues but what game is.

Nice, that's pretty close to my PC stats and I have a controller as well.

should run fine, i had it almost max (no weird treehouse hair effect) and ive a gen1 i7 & xfire 6850's

i also played with a controller and found it to be great (ps3 controller)

Payday the Heist (payday 1) is free on Steam for 24hrs

http://store.steampowered.com/app/24240/

Additionally "The Free Weekend Weekend" promo is on this weekend

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/free_weekend_weekend

Bunch of games free to play this weekend and marked down 75%,

personally, im looking forward to trying Blade Symphony

And once again I feel like a chump for buying a base version of a game (X-Com) on sale, because buying the expansion separate is weirdly a lot more expensive. Why not just have the same discount rate at least? I can't impulse buy when it looks like I'm not even getting the best deal!

And once again I feel like a chump for buying a base version of a game (X-Com) on sale, because buying the expansion separate is weirdly a lot more expensive. Why not just have the same discount rate at least? I can't impulse buy when it looks like I'm not even getting the best deal!

~$10 is probably as cheap as Enemy Within has been so far (its current sale price), it's been out less than a year. It's worth every penny of that if you enjoy Xcom. I also like the Slingshot Mission, it freshens up a campaign a bit if you've already played multiple, though I feel like once you've been through it a couple of times it makes the game easier because everything regarding it is fixed, not random.

The cheapest it's ever been was $7.50, but it was only that cheap once and I think it was a price mistake. Still, it may go back to $7.50 for Black Friday/Winter Sale so if you really feel $10 is too much and you don't mind waiting a month and a half+, by all means wait.

Hmm, mixed reviews, but tempting at that price.

Edit: Mordor season pass and Football Manager 2015 on there as well.

I can get Deadly Premonition for a piffling £2...but, is it even worth that? I've heard a few good opinions but a lot of other negative ones.

As someone who has played all three versions of Deadly Premonition, I have to say the PC port is atrocious, so I hope you're not talking about that version.