Erkki

Other podcasts

I was also recommended this. But I haven't listened to it yet.

I gave it a try today. After I finished, I immediately downloaded the first episode to keep listening. It's not a "comedy" podcast, but weird facts are often funny and they seem to keep things pretty light.

If you think you would enjoy listening to pleasant British people talking about random stuff they look up, I can back up the recommendation.

pfft, I've posted so many times about cbb, mbmbam, and superego!

You have! And so have a lot of others. I was referring more to the not-mentioned-nearly-as-often ones.

I was tempted to do their sf sketchfest show among others but my February is just going to be too insanely busy

I was actually tempted to consider a vacation to San Francisco for Sketchfest, because it's right around my birthday and it seems like there's a ton of awesome podcasts I could go see live in one shot.  I could go see Improv 4 Humans, MBMBAM, Superego, and U Talkin U2 To Me (which I love despite and perhaps because of it being the dumbest thing on the planet).  But I decided against that when I realized that the MBMBaM and Superego shows were at the same time.  You can't ask me to make that decision, it's just unfair.

It's been going on for a while now, but it continues to make me smile twice a week. Gilmore Guys is a podcast about Gilmore Girls (spoiler free as one of the hosts is watching the show for the first time.) They bring on a variety of comedy guests out of the LA area, especially women. 

If you like the tv show, I would recommend it.  The podcast really fun and funny.  You'll either love or hate the guests that don't like the show.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/12/gilmore-guys-podcast-interview/383851/

I gave it a try today. After I finished, I immediately downloaded the first episode to keep listening. It's not a "comedy" podcast, but weird facts are often funny and they seem to keep things pretty light.

If you think you would enjoy listening to pleasant British people talking about random stuff they look up, I can back up the recommendation.

If you like random facts podcast, I strongly recommend Answer Me This. People write in questions and they answer them. It's pretty entertaining and funny. I like it a lot.

Someone at the MIT Singapore campus recorded a series of interviews with former members of Looking glass studios talking about the games the worked on. I have listened to the first three episodes and its an interesting insight into the creation of System shock 2 and thief 1/2  so far. 

http://gambit.mit.edu/updates/audio/looking_glass_studios_podcast/

Someone at the MIT Singapore campus recorded a series of interviews with former members of Looking glass studios talking about the games the worked on. I have listened to the first three episodes and its an interesting insight into the creation of System shock 2 and thief 1/2  so far. 

http://gambit.mit.edu/updates/audio/looking_glass_studios_podcast/

I've listened to much of this and I'll listen to the rest eventually - it really is tremendous, whether you're a huge fan of even the more obscure Looking Glass stuff (Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri represent!), just a fan of the most popular things, or even just interested in a lot of stuff that was both extremely formative and relatively obscure that undergirds so much of what is in video games today without much acknowledgement most of the time.

Chrissy and I recorded another episode of our podcast about free short games and started a tumblr with links to the games for easy access.
http://shortfreegamestalk.tumblr.com/post/109258167783/episode-2-short-free-games-talk-podcast

Here is the podcast file standalone.
https://t.co/FeMdIPyYqQ

Sound quality has improved drastically since the first episode.

I wish I listened to more podcasts. It's pretty much just Thumbs and the Bombcast for me at the moment. I don't know why, but I've gradually dropped every other podcast I've enjoyed: Retronauts, No More Whoppers, Tinycast (in this case I think the terrible audio quality finally got to me).

Most recently I tried to get into Isometric last month, but Brianna Wu went on a fairly lengthy rant about Nintendo composed of a lot of details that were just straight-up wrong. I try not to defend a lot of Nintendo's more bullshit policies, but that was irritating enough to be a deal-breaker for me.

My current weekly line up is Gilmore Guys (Monday & Wednesday), Sailor Business (Mondays), This American Life (Mondays), My Brother My Brother & Me (Mondays), Twin Peaks Rewatch & Idle Thumbs (Tuesday? Wednesday? Thursday? depends on the week!) The Adventure Zone (Every other Thursday), Polygon's Quality Control (as it comes out), Pop Culture Happy Hour (Friday)

Things I don't keep up with every week, and prefer to build up a backlog or listen for specific guests/topics: Judge John Hodgman, Good Job Brain, Jordan Jesse Go, Sawbones, NPR's Ask Me Another, You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes

I have ~2 hours of commuting every day that is perfectly filled by podcasts, which is how I keep such an extensive list of them. 

The ones that are 50+ minutes are used for that. The shorter ones are what I listen to at my desk between streaming thecurrent.org

Haha I thought Gilmore Guys was a joke made on My Brother, My Brother, and Me. Didn't realize it was a real thing. I guess there might as well be.

Griffin tries to emphasize that it's real and funny, but it's hard to be serious on a show where everything is predicated on them totally making up just about everything they talk about.

(I think Gilmore Guys is really good, and I think they have really solid guests, have funny & thoughtful conversations about the show and I would recommend it to anyone who watched it or got interested after it was on Netflix.  They bring on a variety of guests, ranging from people who are superfans of the show to those who have never watched it before.  That second group then breaks down into a range of hatred, apathy, and affection.   They do a good job of having conversations about criticisms that are more nuanced than "they talk too fast and that's not realistic." There's a genuine joy to the podcast. It's definitely not RiffTrax-esque. It is much more like Twin Peaks Rewatch in that it's just episode summaries & impressions of the episodes, but much more silly.  Demi, one cohost has never watched the show before so it's pretty solidly spoiler free since Kevin the other cohost doesn't want to spoil anything for him. I know that this community is not largely the target demographic of Gilmore Girls, but I'm a huge fan & Jeff Green is a fan too! He knows what he's talking about.)

As much as I like Lauren Graham, that show just seems like it wouldn't sit right with me, like I couldn't relate with the sparkly nice lives they have (do they?).

Most recently I tried to get into Isometric last month, but Brianna Wu went on a fairly lengthy rant about Nintendo composed of a lot of details that were just straight-up wrong. I try not to defend a lot of Nintendo's more bullshit policies, but that was irritating enough to be a deal-breaker for me.

I know it's weird for me to say, but Isometric is probably still worth your time. Although I love her in most other mediums and even in the podcast itself, Brianna Wu is easily the worst part of Isometric, for reasons I covered when discussing their GOTY episodes, but she goes into these hyper-technical, opinion-first and rationale-later rants only occasionally. Of course, I say that when the most recent episode had its discussion about the boob-kerfuffle in Resident Evil HD Remaster interrupted by a long and seemingly clueless rant by Bri about the technical demands of physics modeling, so whatever. Maybe you shouldn't listen to it, Bri loves to rag on the lack of "innovation" in Pokemon despite playing it obsessively the past few months...

Actually, it was announced that Brianna Wu has a new podcast where she invites guests and talks with them about various geek things, so I'm hoping that a lot of her more incongruous and intrusive rants will get let out there.

Honestly I find her kind of annoying everywhere. Lately, I've been going back and forth between unfollowing her on Twitter, or not doing so. But as annoying as I can find her, I also respect her a lot. Anyway, that's pretty much the number one reason I haven't yet given Isometric a shot. It's on my list and I'll get to it some day, but... Ehhhh.

@syntheticgerbil

I think there are certainly times the facade breaks. Like they live in a very nice house, that they don't seem like they would actually be able to afford given Lorelei's job or the fact that it is sometimes very visible that it's on the WB lot in like Santa Barbara and not in Connecticut where it claims to take place.

It's very much a low stakes family drama, with very funny portions. They seem to have enjoyable lives, but the central conflict of the show is the friction between Lauren Graham's character & her parents who are stuffy WASPy old money New Englanders. Lorelei (Lauren Graham) rejects their lifestyle when she becomes pregnant at 16 and refuses to marry the father of her child and runs away from home.

The show starts when her daughter is 16 and circumstances force them to interact with them on a more regular basis past Easter & Christmas.

I'm a big fan, I think it's a really enjoyable depiction of female friendships, and generational gaps in understanding.

Their life is very safe and clean in a way that may be off putting to you, especially if that's an impression you got from just general knowledge of the show, but I would recommend trying an episode or two.  You'll very quickly get the idea of what may or may not rub you the wrong way, and then at least you'll know it is or isn't for you.

Well I might try it out because it's kind of fun to watch an episode of something and then listen to a jokey podcast on it afterwards, sort of like the Twin Peaks one here. I sort of decided upon this viewing I don't even like Twin Peaks now but I will keep watching and listening.

I always need to perpetually listen to or watch stuff while I work on the PC.

Honestly I find her kind of annoying everywhere. Lately, I've been going back and forth between unfollowing her on Twitter, or not doing so. But as annoying as I can find her, I also respect her a lot. Anyway, that's pretty much the number one reason I haven't yet given Isometric a shot. It's on my list and I'll get to it some day, but... Ehhhh.

Man, I hate to trash talk someone who is clearly pretty rad and puts up with massive amounts of bullshit, but yeah, I can't really stand Wu either. She's largely why I couldn't get into Isometric even though It's really right up my alley in pretty much every way. 

Anywho, The Dissolve started podcasting again this past week! I've not had a chance to listen to the newest one yet, but they are my favorite people who write/talk about film, and Tasha Robinson always comes up with fun trivia games for the end of each episode.