Erkki

Other podcasts

Sorry if there's already been a thread about this, I couldn't find one with search.

Are there any other gaming podcasts you listen to? What are they? I didn't listen to any before the Idle Thumbs podcasts started, but lately I've also been listening to Brainy Gamer, which is more serious but the guests (including Hot Scoops) often have really interesting things to say. Occasional poor audio quality, though.

Also, I've listened to a couple of RPS episodes, but they sure talk about themselves a lot (at least in the last episode). Which isn't necessarily bad, but I wasn't expecting that.

I apologize for seeming really opportunistic, but I think you'd do pretty good checking out a website I write for called CastMedium, where we do weekly recaps of lots of video game podcasts.

If I had to make a few quick recommendations, I'd say you should definitely check out the Giant Bombcast, Drunken Gamers Radio and A Life Well Wasted, which are some of my favorites among Idle Thumbs. Each of them are at the top of their game as far as different show formats go -Giant Bombcast being the roundtable type discussion where they talk about anything game related, Drunken Gamers Radio being a far more segmented show, and A Life Well Wasted being almost a narrative type radio show similar to This American Life.

The Giant Bombcast, Out of the Game, and a Life Well Wasted (if that counts) are the three others that I actually look forward to. Other than that I listen to stuff like Rebel FM, Geekbox, and the Gamespot podcasts, but they're more for noise at work than anything else. I get really annoyed at the people on Geekbox quite frequently, and possibly to an irrational degree, so I've been avoiding it recently. I used to listen to a couple of 1Up podcasts, but most of the people I liked left, and I got fed up with Garnett Lee's infuriating earnestness (that may be the wrong word) about some stuff. On the whole it got pretty boring. I'm not into all that NPD stuff, for example. Sometimes it's good, but I generally can't be bothered to listen on the off-chance that I will be entertained.

I should probably retire some of those in favour of something better, but I've never gone to the trouble of properly looking.

The RPS Wireless show is a pretty good listen. It's the podcast from the fine gentlemen at Rock, Paper, Shotgun. The sound quality can be cruddy sometimes. Maybe it's just because I'm a stupid colonial, but I really can tell any of the dudes apart. I still think it's worth a listen despite my whining.

Retronauts is pretty sweet if you're into old games, even if sometimes Jeremy Parish's self-depreciating comments get on my nerves.

Gamers with Jobs is decent and they play a fair bit a PC games, which is always nice.

The Brainy Gamer is quite good, even if the name strikes me as a bit...dunno, presumptuous? arrogant? pretentious? Also, Steve 'Mah Scoops be on Fire' Gaynor was on a recent episode.

Geekbox can be fun sometimes, though I've occasionally wished I could somehow punch Andrew Fitch through the internet.

I'll throw in another vote for Out of the Game, Giant Bombcast, and A Life Well Wasted.

I enjoy the Rock Paper Shotgun podcast, partially in spite of and partially because of its incredibly lo-fi nature. It's just two British guys talking into a microphone about PC games for an hour or so. I like it.

I enjoy the Rock Paper Shotgun podcast, partially in spite of and partially because of its incredibly lo-fi nature. It's just two British guys talking into a microphone about PC games for an hour or so. I like it.

Heck it's not just about PC games, sometimes they'll get distracted by a dog that walks by or get sidetracked into talking about their garden or Warhammer or anything else that catches their fancy. It's super low-key and casual, which I generally like in a podcast.

I generally find podcasts where everyone is in the same room to be vastly superior to ones where the people are talking over Skype or whatever. If nothing else, it dramatically reduces the amount that people talk over each other.

Side Note: Who is Luke Smith? I know who all the other Out of the Game guys are, but I'm not at all familiar with him.

Well, I did listen to Played, but they haven't updated in a long time. Too good for your old cohosts now, Chris?

Side Note: Who is Luke Smith? I know who all the other Out of the Game guys are, but I'm not at all familiar with him.

He's a former-1UP-editor-turned-Bungie-employee.

Speaking of, the Bungie Studios podcast doesn't release new episodes frequently or regularly, but it's a good listen when it happens. Aside from that, I'll echo Rebel FM, Geekbox, and the RPS Electronic Wireless Show, as well as The GameSpy Debriefings and the Mega64 podcast.

Edited by Lord Korax

I generally find podcasts where everyone is in the same room to be vastly superior to ones where the people are talking over Skype or whatever. If nothing else, it dramatically reduces the amount that people talk over each other.

I would say you're right most of the time, but some pull it off extremely well. Out of the realm of video game podcasts, the Engadget podcast is pretty damn good for a Skype podcast. And speaking for CastMedium's podcast, I know that our host does a bit of editing to just take out those moments where someone starts to talk over someone but quickly quiets down, which can be distracting but is easily editable. The quality of a Skype podcast really all depends on how much post you want to do and if the recording is over Skype or on each podcaster's computers.

I like A Life Well Wasted, Out of the Game and Talkradar when I can. Used to listen to the Giant Bombcast, but it really pales in comparison to Idle Thumbs (it was ironically GB that led to me checking this one out with Brad in Episode Six). I'll have about two and a half hours combined travel time each day when I start uni next week (it's only ten miles away, but bussing to Aberdeen takes a good 40 minutes and I grudge paying a further 70p when I get there to save a twenty minute walk to campus, so I'll probably try to scrape as much material as I can). Not too keen on RPS for some reason, it rarely holds my interest. Occasionally I'll chuck on X360's one if I'm really stuck.

I also listen to The Guardian's Politics Weekly, that'll be back soon when parliament resumes. Reasonable Doubts as well, it's a great little show for religious sceptics. How Stuff Works' "Stuff You Missed in History Class" is worth a listen too, but it can be a bit hit and miss.

A Life Well Wasted

I completely agree. This podcast is lovely. I only discovered it the other week, through a friend who designs the artwork for each episode. It's certainly more of a features-led podcast, as opposed to RPS, Thumbs, even Brainy Gamer, who are more topical and discussion-led. But, wow, it is immaculately produced, well researched, and really takes you on a journey.

I'll have to check out Out of the Game.

I completely agree. This podcast is lovely. I only discovered it the other week, through a friend who designs the artwork for each episode.

Who's your friend who does the artwork? It looks like he, or the Life Well Wasted guys, likes Olly Moss a lot. The A Life Well Wasted site and art is pretty nice and clean. I should listen to this!

Who's your friend who does the artwork? It looks like he, or the Life Well Wasted guys, likes Olly Moss a lot. The A Life Well Wasted site and art is pretty nice and clean. I should listen to this!

Your instinct is spot on, Olly does the artwork. He crops up everywhere nowadays.

Your instinct is spot on, Olly does the artwork. He crops up everywhere nowadays.

Yayhooray ? :shifty:

Besides Idle Thumbs the only Video game podcasts I listen to are the Joystiq podcast and Retronauts.

Joystiq is a lot like Idle thumbs in that it's three guys talking about games and gaming news (there's even one that's too busy to play games anymore), however it has a more console-centric focus than Thumbs.

Retronauts has a rolling cast of 1up editors on to talk about their favorite older games and consoles, it's pretty fun and informative, however the high volume of contributors on some shows can make it difficult to keep it all straight.

I used to listen to a lot more of the 1up ones, like 1up Yours, GFW, Good Grief, and whichever one it was that spawned Rebel FM. But over the last year there's been a huge brain drain over at 1up with all the top podcasters (Jeff Green, Shawn Elliot, etc.) leaving or being laid off. Now Retronauts is the only one left I can stand.

I don't regularly listen to any other podcasts, but on occasion I'll listen to Giant Bomb, Gamers with Jobs, or Gamespot or IGN (lol). I've added A Life Well Wasted and Rock Paper Shotgun to my list to check out.

edit: I lied, I've been regularly listening to Kotaku Talk Radio since they started a few weeks ago. It's good.

It's not games related, but I do a monthly podcast of new music.

It's mainly new stuff that I'm trying to get around and expose to people.

Basic Text it's mainly indie rock stuff (a mix of US and UK stuff) and can either be downloaded via an mp3 or streamed via Mixcloud.

Give it a go and let me know what you think!

There's two up there so far!

If we're doing non-games stuff, Do or DIY by People Like Us is generally a refreshing break from chart music and playlists, even if it will sometimes break or be sick on your eardrums.

This isn't about games, but I've been listening to Hardcore History over the last few days. It's pretty great. I just finished the third part of an ongoing series about WW2's Eastern Front.

This isn't about games, but I've been listening to Hardcore History over the last few days. It's pretty great. I just finished the third part of an ongoing series about WW2's Eastern Front.

I just started listening to this too in the past week. The guy is good at starting out with simple ideas and then bringing in increasing complexity without losing you.

3306249101_09c4238d87.jpg

Came across this meeting of Olly Moss and a wizzard thought it'd be the appropriate thread.

Came across this meeting of Olly Moss and a wizzard thought it'd be the appropriate thread.

That's a cool image, but I think you may have accidentally clicked on the podcast thread rather than the Wizard thread.

A non-gaming podcast that I rather like is Philosophy Bites. Each week is a quick (10-20min) chat with a philosopher about a random topic. The guests are almost always articulate and able to make complex ideas clear. It's also great if you need a British accent fix and RPS hasn't released a new podcast yet.