Erkki

Other podcasts

For those listening to Serial, Sarah Koenig was interviewed on The Gist earlier this week talking about the podcast. It is really interesting. She gives a few details of her process and hints a little bit at what is going on. Apparently, each episode is being put together each week and as of yet the reporting hasn't even finished. Certainly puts a different perspective on what is going on!

For those listening to Serial, Sarah Koenig was interviewed on The Gist earlier this week talking about the podcast. It is really interesting. She gives a few details of her process and hints a little bit at what is going on. Apparently, each episode is being put together each week and as of yet the reporting hasn't even finished. Certainly puts a different perspective on what is going on!

That's specifically one of my concerns (and I'm assuming others) that it won't end in a satisfying way. Not that it won't be an interesting and well produced story, but that instead of reaching a conclusion, they're eventually just going to have explored it as much as possible and it will end. 

I'm willing to accept Serial as feeling like Lost. A really interesting and fun rollercoaster ride that I'm slowly realising will end abruptly before that big exciting finish.

Also I should link the Radiotopia kickstarter in here.

Radiotopia is an independent podcast network, started by Roman Mars of 99% Invisible, a fantastic podcast about the thoughts behind architecture and design that affect our lives but we barely even notice. The shows on it are all interesting in their own way... to varying degrees. (I find the Truth's writing pretty meh, but it's interesting sometimes).

They've already hit their target, but if they can get a total of 20,000 backers Hover will give them a sponsorship of $25,000, so they're looking for any amount donated just to increase the size. So at least try out one of the shows, and if you like it you could kick in a dollar to help the network build and expand.

I particularly recommend 99% Invisible, Love + Radio and Benjamin Walker's Theory of Everything (pretty sure I already recommended all of them already).

That's specifically one of my concerns (and I'm assuming others) that it won't end in a satisfying way. Not that it won't be an interesting and well produced story, but that instead of reaching a conclusion, they're eventually just going to have explored it as much as possible and it will end. 

From the sounds of it, that is pretty likely. It doesn't concern me so much, I guess as at this point following the narrative is enough for me, but I can understand that. I'd just assumed that the series had been finished and was just slowly being released, rather than the still very ongoing project it sounded like on that podcast. 

I´ve started listening to Daft Souls so thanks to who ever recommended that little gem. I had seen it mentioned previously, but I didn´t drive straight in because the name put me off. I´m a big Souls fan, but not enough to listen to a full pod cast about it. So imagine my surprise when it´s 3-4 Brits talking about interesting video game stuff! 

I also didn´t initially get the phonetic joke that one of the hosts points out in an early episode due to my northern accent.

For gaming: Usually when I'm working-out or work or on the run, I listen to podcasts that match that style: Ladies of Leet, Isometric and Spawn on Me 

When I'm in a relaxing mood, I usually put on Virtual, Select Button and A Life Well Wasted

Non-gaming podcast (and I listen to a lot of them):
Stuff Mom Never Told You

Faculty of Horror

Fugitive Waves | The Kitchen Sisters

Futility Closet

The Factual Opinion

Stuff You Missed in History Class

Love + Radio

On The Media

You Must Remember This 

Geez, concerning Serial. Not sure if anyone has seen this yet, but there's others (or just one guy posing as a bunch of people if you ask Rabia) speaking about Adnan on Reddit, most notably the Adnan is a psychopath thread.

Rabia and Adnan's brother kind of lurk around many threads on the serial Reddit and they certainly seem to have a bad attitude as people speculate after each episode. I'm not sure if having a Reddit for people to argue with thousands of posts inbetween episodes is necessarily good for this new podcast format. Especially because I see people digging up persons of interest from the case and info from documents Rabia posts and using it to find them on Facebook, checking their addresses out in streetview, and attempting to contact these people. Some of the names are changed in the story, but really it doesn't seem to phase them.

I'm pretty much leaning towards Adnan being guilty after the last episode anyway, but there are 7 episodes left. I wonder if they are going to start addressing all of this talkback on Reddit.

That's probably something they they should have anticipated, and possibly trued to avoid (I don't know how you do that). Having a bunch of internet sleuths try to track you down on reddit has to be terrifying.

This is totally tangential, but does anyone else feel really bad for the girl in the opening ad block who can't pronounce the word Chimp? I feel like it was almost a little mean to leave it in there, but I'm probably being oversensitive. :P

I find it weird that you could misread chimp that way, ch is not an uncommon sound. But I don't think the girl sounded very distressed about her mistake.

Also about the latest episode

I liked hearing their conversation when she was clearly sussing out something that went towards proving his guilt. I've thought all along, given that she's not advocating specifically for his defence, it must be an incredibly strange experience to have someone who's willing to go in deep on your story, check every nook and cranny they can and regular talk to you about it all... but you don't even know whether she believes you or believes everyone else. This episode really doubled down on making him feel insecure about being accused of being wrong at all, let alone in the case of a murder accusation.

The latest Bombcast is making me really glad I got my Famicom Gameboy micro when I did.

I wish I had a Gameboy Micro. Though at this point, I really wouldn't have much to play on it except Pokemon. Actually, that's probably enough.

I like to think I've done a pretty good job of assembling a decent GBA collection long after the fact.

ptDYXR8.png

The Micro was seventy, shipping included. The games that I didn't already own from when I was a kid (2 Pokémon games, Super Mario Advance, both Golden Suns, and Drill Dozer) were all super cheap. I think the most I paid for one was twelve bucks for Mario & Luigi. Fortunately there's not enough nostalgia surrounding the GBA for prices to be super high, but they're starting to get up there.

There's no Wario Land 4 in that photo, which is weird, because it is literally and objectively the most superiorest of all GBA games.

There's no Wario Land 4 in that photo, which is weird, because it is literally and objectively the most superiorest of all GBA games.

No Warioware? You're missing out.

I have both of these on the 3DS as part of the ambassador program!

Golden sun! Ace!

Fortunately younger me took exceptionally good care of her shit and as such I still have the boxes for both of those in pristine condition.

i am watching this now

HOW IS THIS A REAL HUMAN BEING

Also this tweet, which just blows my mind https://twitter.com/DanRyckert/status/527899500195872770

Hah, ouch.

Well, I'm going to file that one under plain ol' ignorance, rather than willful ignorance, until I see otherwise. That's where most of the Ryckertisms go for me. I wonder like... if he'll REALIZE some day... Now THAT'S a video I want to see. That precise moment when finally all that gradual pushing and pulling finally reaches that point, and it just clicks, and he goes "oooh". Dan Ryckert is a fascinating specimen.

The more I see of Ryckert, the more my opinion of him shifts to the positive. This man is a goddamned hero. His stupid shit is amazing. Although, like Twig, I hope one day he realizes how stupid some of the political-ish things he says are, his amazing ability to follow through on dumb ideas and make them fun astounds me. I don't think a pre-Ryckert GB would have done the Mario 3 Rollercoaster challenge, for example. I really don't know if he's an idiot or a genius. He's probably both. Fantastically entertaining though.

I can't respect a man who takes 8:23 to do something so simple, no matter how dumb. Learn to fucking edit, I only have about a minute to waste on stupidity like this.