gdf

Life

Just fo' clarification, I do mean cute in a good, complimentary way. It is cute. :) I just tend to dislike the word. It feels girly.

This post courtesy of me realizing my last post could be misinterpreted as sarcastic in tone.

A week ago on sunday me and my wife got almost seriously injured/killed when we went to a metal festival in southern Finland.

We were standing next to some booths were the people sold shirts and food and stuff. It was interesting that the sky was clear and it was 32 degrees, then I saw a huge pitch black cloud the shape of a tornado coming towards the area, it was followed by an enormous grey cloud formation and I knew this was not going to lead to anything good.

Huge lightnings were soon visible everywhere and the whole place was flashing all the time, the rain started quickly and in about 5 seconds time it went from little to hard rain and suddenly it felt like someone was throwing rocks at us. This of course wasn't the end of this, soon came a small tornado like wind that almost threw people around, and it threw in the air bunch of booths. One of those booths with it's metal frames almost landed on top of us. Also one of the main stages was starting to go apart and some metal junk fell on people waiting for Iggy Pop.

Two people got seriously injured, one of them died a few days later in the hospital. Around 40 people got injured in total.

That was one interesting day, Mötley Crüe cancelled as their gear got destroyed, Iggy Pop played only four songs acousticallya s his gear got destroyed and it took hours for things to clear up. In the end Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden came and said that "we are not fucking going home before you do". They had also lost all their gear, but somehow they built up something and loaned stuff from elsewhere and played for two hours until midnight. The whole place was really foggy and dark at the end and the athmosphere was quite unique, insane and awesome for sure. Bruce said that the whole band will go to the hospitals to check on those who got injured. Superb class act and I'm really sorry for that one guy who in the end lost his life just because he wanted to see and hear some music.

Human is a puny little creature when nature shows it's power.

Holy crap. That is also really cool of Dickinson and co. but holy crap. Glad you're okay.

That cloud in the video is absolutely awe inducing.

Glad you and your wife are okay, Kolzig.

Kroms, what the hell is that? It's like an incarnation of evil or something; if I were a fundie Christian I'd be expecting the rapture on being confronted with it.

Glad to hear you're ok Kolzig. Your description reminded me of the torrential downpours that parts of Africa get, which in turn reminded me of this very, very clever video.

Just give the beginning a listen at least - very authentic.

A week ago on sunday me and my wife got almost seriously injured/killed when we went to a metal festival in southern Finland.

We were standing next to some booths were the people sold shirts and food and stuff. It was interesting that the sky was clear and it was 32 degrees, then I saw a huge pitch black cloud the shape of a tornado coming towards the area, it was followed by an enormous grey cloud formation and I knew this was not going to lead to anything good.

Huge lightnings were soon visible everywhere and the whole place was flashing all the time, the rain started quickly and in about 5 seconds time it went from little to hard rain and suddenly it felt like someone was throwing rocks at us. This of course wasn't the end of this, soon came a small tornado like wind that almost threw people around, and it threw in the air bunch of booths. One of those booths with it's metal frames almost landed on top of us. Also one of the main stages was starting to go apart and some metal junk fell on people waiting for Iggy Pop.

Two people got seriously injured, one of them died a few days later in the hospital. Around 40 people got injured in total.

That was one interesting day, Mötley Crüe cancelled as their gear got destroyed, Iggy Pop played only four songs acousticallya s his gear got destroyed and it took hours for things to clear up. In the end Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden came and said that "we are not fucking going home before you do". They had also lost all their gear, but somehow they built up something and loaned stuff from elsewhere and played for two hours until midnight. The whole place was really foggy and dark at the end and the athmosphere was quite unique, insane and awesome for sure. Bruce said that the whole band will go to the hospitals to check on those who got injured. Superb class act and I'm really sorry for that one guy who in the end lost his life just because he wanted to see and hear some music.

Human is a puny little creature when nature shows it's power.

I heard about that, Sonisphere right?

In the end Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden came and said that "we are not fucking going home before you do". They had also lost all their gear, but somehow they built up something and loaned stuff from elsewhere and played for two hours until midnight. The whole place was really foggy and dark at the end and the athmosphere was quite unique, insane and awesome for sure. Bruce said that the whole band will go to the hospitals to check on those who got injured. Superb class act and I'm really sorry for that one guy who in the end lost his life just because he wanted to see and hear some music.

Oh man, this part is the coolest. That's how you care about your fans!

Holy crap, is that real? Or from some fan made LOTR movie!?

As far as I know, it's real. I thought it could be the same cloud because it's in Finland and, as far as I know, happened in the same time frame as the concert Kolzig referred to.

Probably not the same cloud but perhaps the same storm. Sonisphere was held in Pori which is about 200 km north-west of Helsinki where that video was taken. I watched that cloud come from the south and devour the clear sky in 2-3 minutes on my balcony, though. It was weird and majestic.

Yeah, glad you guys are alright.

Was it this particular cloud, by any chance?

It was that kind of cloud exactly. It was advancing so damn fast that I couldn't almost believe it. It struck all over Finland on that sunday.

It seriously looked like doomsday is coming.

I heard about that, Sonisphere right?

Yes, it was the Sonisphere festival in Pori.

It was that kind of cloud exactly. It was advancing so damn fast that I couldn't almost believe it. It struck all over Finland on that sunday.

It seriously looked like doomsday is coming.

Yes, it was the Sonisphere festival in Pori.

Just want to add that Iron Maiden are ridiculously awesome dudes, very few bands would do that.

Max Ides: Death Cloud

So dudes, I'm off to Stockholm on Monday(!) and it still hasn't yet sunk in. I'm not used to travelling at all and haven't really spent more than a week or two away from home, but I'll be there for most of the next year of my life. Pooping a bit but also super excited.

Got a question and I'm fairly optimistic of an answer. I'm pretty amped for the trip, but I know jack all about electricity and it'd be pretty revolting if all my shit got fried as soon as I plugged it into the wall. I've bought some cheapish generic Euro adaptors and apparently the electric current that comes out of the walls (if that's what it is) in Sweden is the same as the UK. Does this mean I could, for example, use my netbook with the adaptors? Even some advice on what watts and hertz are would be nice so I could work it out for myself. Got numbers here if you need any. Don't get pissed at me for being an idiot, I tried to read about that stuff and had no idea what most of it even meant.

So i'm going to Japan for a month, pretty excited about it but I do feel pretty apprehensive about going somewhere where I don't know the language. Luckily, one of my uncles lives there so we should be able to get by alright. Anyway, we'll be down south and around tokyo doing how knows what. Should be awesome.

Got a question and I'm fairly optimistic of an answer. I'm pretty amped for the trip, but I know jack all about electricity and it'd be pretty revolting if all my shit got fried as soon as I plugged it into the wall. I've bought some cheapish generic Euro adaptors and apparently the electric current that comes out of the walls (if that's what it is) in Sweden is the same as the UK. Does this mean I could, for example, use my netbook with the adaptors? Even some advice on what watts and hertz are would be nice so I could work it out for myself. Got numbers here if you need any. Don't get pissed at me for being an idiot, I tried to read about that stuff and had no idea what most of it even meant.

Just read and understand this, or you will suffer death by electrocution.

So i'm going to Japan for a month, pretty excited about it but I do feel pretty apprehensive about going somewhere where I don't know the language. Luckily, one of my uncles lives there so we should be able to get by alright. Anyway, we'll be down south and around tokyo doing how knows what. Should be awesome.

Hey man, I hope you enjoy your time there. That country is amazing, be sure to travel around and not just in Tokyo. The countryside awesome!

You need someone who can speak Japanese as the locals don't speak English that much (at all actually). So it's good that your uncle is there, he can help you.

PLUGS

I've never had problems using UK devices with cheap adaptors in Sweden. I brought my netbook on my most recent visit and it charged fine. As far as I can tell I didn't die; if I did, death is so similar to life that it's really not anything to be worried about.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it. I think Stockholm's a pretty nice city, but I have ancestral bias.

MY LIFE IN SURBITON

Pro: We have a nice big telly and a generally pleasant living room.

Con: I'm having difficulty making the desk area in my bedroom feel "right". I guess I was pretty lucky to have a separate study-type-room where I was before. I'm having difficulty seeing myself doing much PC gaming here. I'm almost tempted to rig up some elaborate system to make my PC available on the living room TV so I can play through there when it's not otherwise occupied, but there doesn't seem to be a good way to get the video across. Also, that would be insane and stupid. I could just have my PC in the living room, but that seems to be losing some of the P, and probably isn't very fair on my flatmate.

CON: I'm posting about this at three in the morning with no reasonable justification.

GDF, you should have no problem with a netbook. Generally Laptops have alternating power meaning you don't need a power converter anywhere in the world.

I was in Stockholm a while back and used my North American Laptop everywhere, just needed the right plug adaptor.

You will be fine, Stockholm is awesome.

Except for their bullshit licensing laws, so don't expect to enjoy drinking in Stockholm. System Bolegeta I hate you.

Except for their bullshit licensing laws, so don't expect to enjoy drinking in Stockholm. System Bolegeta I hate you.

Out of curiosity, what?