gdf

Life

Could be, still have 2 connectors left, but I'm pretty sure I properly attached it all correctly.

Unless your cable has been treated horribly, stretched and bent, I'll bet a million dollars it's the connectors. Anyway, a new preterminated cable shouldn't cost a fortune either, so whatever.

So,

1,5 weeks ago we came back from Japan. It was quite nice summer vacation. I got one thing off my list that I wanted to do in my life.

We visited Hiroshima. I've always wanted to go there. It was a beautiful city, I have deep respect towards the Japanese people how they completely rebuilt the city after the totally useless waste of human lifes that was the atom bomb. We went to the Peace park and I saw the A-Bomb dome as they call it these days, we also visited the museum telling about the history of Hiroshima and especially August 6th 1945 8.15am. That experience was as crushing as I thought it would be. I'm not ashamed to admit that tears came to my eyes there when I saw all the historical data that they saved up there. In my opinion every person in the world should visit this museum at least once.

We went also to Itsukushima (Miyajima) island to see the famous Itsukushima shrine and there was a Akira Kurosawa festival on that island as this year it is 100 years from his birth. That day was quite bad because of the weather, everything was gray and foggy. The rain never stopped and it only became worse as time passed. We climbed up to the mountain to see the "eternal flame", but we laughed so much as we got there because the flame was not burning! We took a picture of that as proof. Also the restaurant on top of the mountain was closed so that was fun after travelling a long way in the rain to get there with the purpose of eating and getting some time to warm up while eating.

I got a nasty cold because of that day and I'm still suffering from it even if it's three weeks now since we were there.

Nikkou was nice also. They have the World Heritage area with lots of old temples. One of the most famous artworks there is the three wise monkeys that are part of the art depicting the human life. It was great to see that with my own eyes. In Nikkou I had the chance for the first time in my life to experience onsen. That felt like I was reborn. It was the most relaxing experience I've ever had. Even better than the Finnish sauna. :)

Tokyo Sky Tree was coming up fast, already 398 meters tall at the time when we were standing next to it. It will be quite a landmark, don't know really why they need it to be built, but I heard some talk about the tower being used for tv/phone/radio signals or something like that. Apparently the old Tokyo Tower is being used for that already now and it's not good enough?

Interesting to come back from 35 degrees of sunshine to 15 degrees and rain. Yay Finland! You never disappoint me. :tdown:

Unless your cable has been treated horribly, stretched and bent, I'll bet a million dollars it's the connectors. Anyway, a new preterminated cable shouldn't cost a fortune either, so whatever.

you were right, redid the connector on the other end and now it's 1gpbs.

huzzah :woohoo:

... In my opinion every person in the world should visit this museum at least once...

I whole heartedly agree with this, it'll change your perspective on life. I too wandered around the museum with a tear in my eye.

The memorial garden held and exhibition when I visited, it was heartbreaking to read the diary of a woman who remembers her mother teaching her at 9 years old, and her sister at 7 years old, how to cook rice and repair clothes as she lay in incredible pain, dying of radiation poisoning and burns.

With all that weight of history, Hiroshima is a wonderfully serene place.

Wonderful to read your experience in Japan, Kolzig. Wouldn't mind visiting Hiroshima either. I always thought the radiation would still be quite high, a mere 65 years after the explosion?

We went also to Itsukushima (Miyajima) island to see the famous Itsukushima shrine and there was a Akira Kurosawa festival on that island as this year it is 100 years from his birth. That day was quite bad because of the weather, everything was gray and foggy. The rain never stopped and it only became worse as time passed. We climbed up to the mountain to see the "eternal flame", but we laughed so much as we got there because the flame was not burning! We took a picture of that as proof. Also the restaurant on top of the mountain was closed so that was fun after travelling a long way in the rain to get there with the purpose of eating and getting some time to warm up while eating.

This part is just simply awesome. I possibly got too much of a kick out of reading it.

I would love to visit more countries, maybe I should make Japan a stop for myself one day? Kolzig seems like he had tons of fun.

Wonderful to read your experience in Japan, Kolzig. Wouldn't mind visiting Hiroshima either. I always thought the radiation would still be quite high, a mere 65 years after the explosion?

The atomic bomb differed greatly from conventional bombs made of chemical explosives in that it released vastly more energy and some of that energy was in the form of radiation. About 5% of the energy released was in the form of initial radiation and about 10% was residual radiation.

"Initial radiation" refers to the radiation that was released the instant the bomb exploded. This radiation did tremendous damage to human bodies. Nearly everyone who was directly exposed within one kilometer of the hypocenter received enough radiation to kill them.

Residual radiation appeared as the initial radiation subsided. About 80% of the total amount of residual radiation was released within 24 hours of the bombing. One study found that a person standing at the hypocenter 24 hours after the bombing would have received only one thousandth the dose of residual radiation that would have been received by a person who was there right after the bomb exploded. One week later, the dose would be only one millionth the original dose. In other words, residual radiation levels fell very rapidly.

Today, the background radiation in Hiroshima and Nagasaki is the same as the average amount of natural radiation present anywhere on Earth. It is not enough to affect human health.

My PC is currently fucked. It started occasionally crashing with graphical garbage after I moved, and it got worse with (not a great deal of) time. Now it frequently won't get past POST before freezing (no graphical garbage in ASCII mode, though), and I've had it crash in the BIOS. I've also had it fail to initialize video output at all. It seems fairly severe. I suspect the motherboard may be on the way out. Or it could be that something got knocked out of place during the move and now it's overheating. I should get it fixed, but broken computers depress me a bit, so I tend to put it out of my thoughts. Any advice would be welcome, but I'm likely to take it into a shop and let them handle it rather than run the risk of making things worse.

Desktop PCs really tend to suffer when moved any significant distance, especially if they're more than a few years old. It's worth opening the side up and just making sure everything is seated properly; just push all the cards firmly into the slots, likewise all the cables and connectors. Make sure there are no loose screws rattling around inside too, one of those could easily take out your motherboard if it shorts something. If you're worried about static, touch a radiator pipe before opening the PC up or touching anything inside.

My PC is currently fucked. It started occasionally crashing with graphical garbage after I moved, and it got worse with (not a great deal of) time. Now it frequently won't get past POST before freezing (no graphical garbage in ASCII mode, though), and I've had it crash in the BIOS. I've also had it fail to initialize video output at all. It seems fairly severe. I suspect the motherboard may be on the way out. Or it could be that something got knocked out of place during the move and now it's overheating. I should get it fixed, but broken computers depress me a bit, so I tend to put it out of my thoughts. Any advice would be welcome, but I'm likely to take it into a shop and let them handle it rather than run the risk of making things worse.

You could open her up and re-seat the video card, probably only the one screw and it'll pull out. My video card tends to work itself loose if I move the case around too much.

The big problem I have is that if I take the computer anywhere in the car I have to take the heat sink of the processor, it's that heavy it could crack the motherboard with the vibration.

Tomorrow myself, my brother, and my dad will begin our 2000 mile, 5 day, cross-Kansas, around-Colorado, and back motorcycle trip. I'm real excited, especially as it's a precursor to my month-long cross country motorcycle trip in September. I'll be sure to post some good pictures.

So I put in my two weeks notice yesterday (without anything lined up, as said before) so that I can move in with my girlfriend in another city while I revamp my website and portfolio full time (it's too hard to do enough work after work hours and on weekends, making my girlfriend sad I'm gone five days a week).

Thing is, I feel terrible, like I let my bosses down. Everyone seemed disappointed and sad when they found out I had wanted to go. At this point the company had shrunk so much and hasn't been doing so well lately that I'm the only artist left, and I was doing like 4 or 5 things at once. I'll probably end up leaving some stuff unfinished, but I offered to freelance anything (hopefully) for them from now on and apologized to just go. One of my bosses was IMing me and asking if it was something they did that made me upset. I guess my explanation to just move is strange, especially in this climate. It is, but oh well.

I guess I've never quit a job before where anyone actually cared I was going or my absence would make an impact. I didn't expect to feel so sad about it. I tried to keep my personal life away from the people I work with, as standard protocol to keep from getting to close, as I feel like that stuff eventually leads to workplace politics, but I'm going to miss a lot of people here.

On the bright side, I referred a friend who hasn't had a job for 8 months after working for another one of those crooked contract work Houston "movie-making" companies. Hopefully he'll get the job. They need someone who can draw and animate characters, concept and finished, as well as can dabble in 3D... so I think he'll be a good fit. I usually riff things I made off of him and trust his criticism and bug him for technical tips a lot, so he can probably offer more to the job than I can in many cases.

I guess the last thing is just I have to work my ass off from this day on or face changing careers from artist/animator back to Kinko's copy jock or photo developer or hotel front desk or waiter or... phone surveyor... bleh.

So do they know you're following your girlfriend to another city? That should be understandable motivation. To me it's commendable! If they can't accept it, it's on them, whatever the circumstances really... Your life trumps your job.

I have been putting off choosing a minor subject* for my masters degree for something like a month now. There are so many options to choose from in electronics alone that I had to keep a list of modules I had already ruled out, and while some of them might prove to be useful in the future, most of them will almost certainly be dull as hell. Just thinking about the whole mess made my head ache. Then finally, a couple of days ago I decided to choose the one that interested me the most no matter how good or bad the employment prospects were (something that I wasn't that concerned even before to be honest) or how well it would support my major subject. The selection was actually quite a lot easier than I had made it out to be. Feels really good finally know what I will study for the next 2+ years.

So micro- and nanotechnology, here I come. :fart:

*Not sure what is the equivalent of major and minor subjects of Finnish universities in other countries.

Just woke-up from a starvation-fuelled dream. Thought I'd write it down while I was still sleepy for reference later. I always have the best dreams, so I want to remember a random one.

- Was at a bookshop, seeing if I could get Scott Pilgrim. They only had the "novel novel" version, which was a badly-novelized cash-in, written backwards, right-to-left, so you'd read the last page on the right ala a manga. This was called Hipster English.

- Ended-up at Carleton University, where almost everyone had gotten so fat they sandwiched 72 floors (not flights of stairs) in between the 2nd and 3rd floors of the Computer Science building (for anyone at Carleton, Herzberg). They gave us orange pips (infinite amount), and asked us - including me, the guest - to unlock an achievment called "All All All". This meant we had to go to the dozen or so pot plants on each floor and throw three orange pips each inside the soil.

- Flew away over an icy river on a cloud, listening to "Holiday" by Scorpions and reading soliloquies from Hamlet.

- Somehow ended-up running into my girlfriend. Was kissed.

- Woke-up feeling terrible. Glanced at open laptop screen. Realized I'd dozed off from the hunger and the heat. Wrote this.

Awesome dream. I didn't realize you were an Ottawa guy. Beautiful city, and one of the few that I really want to spend a decent chunk of my life in.

A week and a bit ago was my third anniversary with my girlfriend. We both said we weren't going to buy each other anything, but lied about that. I got her a DVD of Beyond The Valley of the Dolls (she loves old exploitation movies and had been trying to find it for a long time) and a promise to hold a big screen showing for her an all her friends. She surprised me with a hand-painted mug that had a picture of Koffing on it. Written on the bottom of the mug are the words "KOFFEE TIME!" I love my girlfriend.

Awesome dream. I didn't realize you were an Ottawa guy. Beautiful city, and one of the few that I really want to spend a decent chunk of my life in.

I used to be, but then life screwed me over and cast me into Jordan. Soon as I get back on my feet I'm out of here for good.

A week and a bit ago was my third anniversary with my girlfriend. We both said we weren't going to buy each other anything, but lied about that. I got her a DVD of Beyond The Valley of the Dolls (she loves old exploitation movies and had been trying to find it for a long time) and a promise to hold a big screen showing for her an all her friends. She surprised me with a hand-painted mug that had a picture of Koffing on it. Written on the bottom of the mug are the words "KOFFEE TIME!" I love my girlfriend.

'grats, dude! :) I've never lasted that long with someone. Plus the coffee/Koffing thing (the Pokemon? Shameful that I had to Google it, and I used to be the biggest fan of the original 150 when I was 12) is super...cute, really. I hate that word but it's the best way to describe it. :)

Edited by Kroms