gdf

Life

Tromso looks super nice! Those pictures are great :tup:

Nachimir, I'm glad you didn't get hurt. It wouldn't do to have one of our scarce members to suffer bodily damage. Have a med kit.

As for myself, it's the 18th... and that means that, if Blizzard kept their promise, they'll announce the winrars of the Global Writing Competition today. Stomach firmly in a knot, I'm F5-ing the day away.

Just kidding, I'm working pretty hard to get some crazy deadline. Work never sleeps!

Good luck, and thanks Rodi.

Ordered a full face helmet this morning; one near miss is enough. Also, I *actually* have a stiff upper lip right now :)

Wow. Good plan :tup: It's kind of scary how it can take near misses to do something that really sounds quite sensible, but most people don't bother with. (I experienced something similar when I ran across the road once... now I never rush. Ever.)

Well done. How many entries? If yours was a short, that's pretty good going for getting an honourable mention out of 18 million words! :tup:

I had my first job interview ever yesterday... I'm happy with the fact that I didn't puke or sweat like a pig. I was energetic throughout and my French wasn't as rusty as I thought. If they call me for the second round, I get a free trip to Paris!

I'm waiting for job offers or rejections, it's gonna eat me alive this weekend...

The Rangers advance to the baseball World Series. Meaning the Yankees don't. This thrills me.

Jesus Christ, I can't wait for tomorrow, the first answer should come...

i'm interviewing in the top 4 management consulting firms, it will be pretty sad if I can't land at least one offer.

Bah: I cornered too fast and my bike crossed the road in traffic without me this morning. Luckily just grazes and it wasn't a particularly busy road, but my glasses got run over by the car behind, thankfully not me. A truck stopped in time to not crush my bike.

My fault. I'm learning a lot about autumn weather and my tyres; I'm used to only riding in dry or warm and wet conditions, when you can push things quite far :-(

Woo: I'm building a laser assault course for GameCity on Friday. I prototyped it with working code, three red lasers and a smoke machine on Saturday, and it worked amazingly. The smoke lingers and (in the dark) makes perfectly visible beams for about 30 minutes. Breaking one of them makes this sound and knocks 5 seconds off a countdown.

I'm pretty excited about building the whole thing; we have a stock of about 40 lasers if we need them.

Sounds like quite a scare! I had a similar experience last year, when, not used to wet weather biking, I braked for a tunnel way too late and crashed into the fucking wall, luckily only grazing my hand.

YES, I got an offer!

I feel like a ton has been lifted from my shoulders... now I can relax a little bit and say adios to the hellish life of research.

Got back from our trip on late sunday evening.

Used my dad's Toyota Auris model 2010 for the trip as my old shitty Mazda 323 from 1990 would've got broken somewhere after 150km propably. New cars are so sweet.

Total trip length was 3157km and I did all the driving while my wife was just reading the maps. It's pretty damn cool to use my wife's Nokia 5230 with it's free navigator service, it worked perfectly. I had no idea these things work this well.

Trip was Vaasa-Rovaniemi-Levi-up the arm to Kilpisjärvi-Tromsø-Alta-Honnigsvåg(Nordkapp)-Saariselkä-Rovaniemi-Ranua Zoo-Vaasa

We didn't unfortunately see any aurea borealis, because the weather was really cloudy, gray and snowfall every day. First time we saw clear sky was when we came back to Vaasa... that means we have to go for a new trip during the real winter.

15 different reindeer sightings during the trip ranging from 1 to 50 reindeers, also saw one dead reindeer being eaten by crows just after passing the border to Norway. 60km from Vaasa while returning back on sunday we almost run over a big dead elk that had crashed into possibly a huge truck, it was so foggy and dark that it was impossible to see what had happened there.

Almost nobody was in Lapland now as it's the "dead season" of October. All the tourists start coming in after November.

Oh yeah and I got a pretty big surprise on monday a week ago, I was driving up the Finnish maiden's arm in Lapland towards Norway and my boss called me. They selected me to go to Hamburg, Germany on a three day work assignment and also to Helsinki on one day assignment. My first work assignments in another city/country! Pretty wicked cool!

saw one dead reindeer being eaten by crows just after passing the border to Norway.

Typical.

Hehheh, I have to add though that the roads in Lapland and especially in Norway were amazing! None of that straight road crap, all the roads were curvy and really challenging, no way in hell I could fall asleep while driving, also the majestic (only 1km) tall mountains were awesome! Also there were no traffic cameras around except two cameras close to Tromsø. Also it was so much fun to drive around near the fjords. I want to get a summer cottage from somewhere up North someday in the future.

And if any are wondering why I think 1km mountains are awesome, the biggest hill around this area where I live is like 50m tall so this is very flat area, kind of like the Netherlands I think.

The underground tunnel to Nordkapp/Honnigsvåg was quite something, 8km long tunnel that went about 200 meters under the Arctic Ocean.

We managed to do everything in Tromsø that Hermie suggested plus more, with the only exception being the mountain lift. The weather was so bad that we wouldn't have seen anything.

Good luck mate! Have fun, the timing for the weather etc should be perfect around now in Japan.

We managed to do everything in Tromsø that Hermie suggested plus more, with the only exception being the mountain lift. The weather was so bad that we wouldn't have seen anything.

:tup:

Hope I provided good suggestions! What else did you end up doing?