gdf

Life

I recently bought an expensive espresso machine because it was rather cheap.

Is it a Schrodinger?

Looking for a job in the entertainment/gaming industry at the moment - anywhere in the world, with preference for north-west Europe. If anyone has a lead for a bright writer/community manager/journalist/web editor/wizard, please feel free to PM me! :tup:

Good luck Rodi :tup: Something will turn up to be sure.

Is it a Schrodinger?

No, it's more a paradox than a Schrodinger

No, it's more a paradox than a Schrodinger

Yes, but then the joke doesn't work.

Edited by Ben X

Good luck Rodi :tup: Something will turn up to be sure.

Thanks! And if everything fails I'll just become a doctor with all the experience I've been soaking up on these forums. Paging Dr. Death!

I'm prototyping a thing at the moment, which involves not just making it but also sourcing uncommon bits, spending a lot of time staring at screens, learning new stuff like g-code and CAD software, dicking around with machine setups, and testing things. I go through whole days of "You idiot, this is a stupid idea. Everybody will laugh and nobody will buy it", but all the people I know in a field related to it say it's a good idea.

Last night, I finished a CNC machined prototype, dropped it, threw it, bowled it about 50 feet, hit it back with a piece of wood, and kicked it down two flights of stairs. It did exactly as it was supposed to; the delicate electronics and glass inside survived without a scratch :)

I don't know what half of that means, but it sure sounds exciting!

I have a piece of machinery I'd like to kick down the stairs as well and it's my laptop. It is doing some weird thing where when I type certain characters like ' or " or ^ or ~, it produces the thing twice: '' '"" ^^ ~~. These are all characters used to create special characters in non-English languages, accent grave, accent circonflexe and the like. My keyboard started doing this out of the blue a while ago and it's annoying. Google doesn't offer anything particularly helpful and I don't remember anything changing in my setup. Ideas?

Sounds like the language setup for your keyboard changed. You can change this in settings, or, like you probably did accidentally, use the shortcut alt+shift.

I use US (International) most of the time, but that's exactly the language that does this weird double-thing now.

Chalkboard paint. Has any of you ever had a wall painted with it? A designer I know suggested it to me. One of my living room walls is going to be darkish/blackish anyway, according to a version my interior designers did (it would have some abstract art for the tapestry). I am starting to like the idea of having a whole 4 meter chalkboard wall in my living room, but am curious if anyone has lived with one and has any thoughts about it.

It is cool bus as the general says it can get dusty/messy really fast. And painting an entire wall with it will be rather expensive.

I think chalkboard paint gives a really nice matt finish. We had a wall of it in the office at a previous job, and it was really useful in meetings. Best to keep soft furnishings away from it though, and if the area near it is cramped, you'll probably get it on your clothes.

Life's pretty swell for the most part. Being a new dad is pretty awesome so I have no complaints there. The only downside is my job which I'm not too happy with. I have double the case load as others in my position at other agencies, and they continue to pile clients onto me without attempting to hire another person to help. On top of that, I had literally no training on my job duties when I started in November and none of the management does any follow-up to see how you're doing. The only time I get any feedback is when something I did months ago is suddenly discovered as being wrong. :shrug: I just got my BA last year, so my job opportunities around here are slim pickins until I get more work experience in the field built up. I start grad school this summer, so that will help me onto the path of something better.

Hmm. Yeah, somewhy I didn't think about it getting really messy. Definitely not good for the whole wall then, because a couch will be close to the wall. But maybe the other half of it...

At work I find whiteboards to be one of the best things for sketching ideas, so it might be actually more functional in my computer/office/storage room where I imagine I'll be working on things that need that more than in the living room.

You could try whiteboard paint instead. Harder to obtain, though, and it'll make you feel a bit like the old man in 2001.

There is also magnetic paint. It's a must have if you one day decide to become a detective and/or insane. Hanging old photographs and newspaper clippings on your walls has never been easier.

(I have no experience with that paint, though.)