gdf

Life

This reminds me of Robocop, which was an awesome film, which makes this an awesome idea. :tup:

Markets traditionally regarded as non-profit: hospitals, prisons, space exploration. I say good business is where you find it. Privatize everything.

I hope they show off the ED209 at parliament first.

This reminds me of Robocop, which was an awesome film, which makes this an awesome idea. :tup:

Markets traditionally regarded as non-profit: hospitals, prisons, space exploration. I say good business is where you find it. Privatize everything.

Yep, completely privatized healthcare in the US has led to it having the highest infant mortality rate in the first world.[Link] And because of their privatized prison system rich people can pay to go to nice prisons! (So provided you've got enough money, crime needn't be the risky venture it used to be :tup:) Also, here in the UK, we have privately owned prisons, too. One of them, run by Group4, was mired in so much controversy that it was taken permanently into the public sector.[Link] Guess who's up for the government contracts to take over our police?

Why do governments still think that privatizing public services works? More importantly: how can they not see this as the tremendously awful idea that it is?

Case in point: the Netherlands privatized the railway system some decade(s) ago. The result was a huge decrease in efficiency, poor communication between all the various parts of the company and the entire good image of public transportation down the drain. I hope they won't even touch the police or fire brigade.

It's the same for our postal service and insurance. Weren't the both of those were like a golden standard for Europe? Then they were privatized. Now you have 3 different mail people coming by your door, all from different companies, delivering the same mail you've always been receiving. Efficient! COMPETITIVE.

That and I'm reasonably sure that insurance is way more expensive now than it was before.

Sources? Where we're going we don't need sources!

Why do governments still think that privatizing public services works?

Because they're representing the ultra-rich. Or rather the conservative ultra-rich. The ultra-rich don't like the fact that they pay such high taxes to provide services for people they don't care about (and usually have a disdain for -- "Why should these (lazy) people pay less taxes than me, and get things I'm paying for, for free!?").

If things are privatized then there's less need for government spending, and so taxes can (in theory) be lowered. Governments try and justify this to the masses with the theory that capitalism/the market "solves everything": By adding "competitive" forces, prices should be lower, and so the privatised versions should be cheaper for everybody.

What happens though is this: Cheap ass companies make insanely low bids in order to get these "water tight" contracts from the government -- Water tight meaning that they're guaranteed public money for a set number of years, no matter what they do.

They then go about trying to satisfy their contracts in the cheapest, half-assed, manner they possibly can, because they're money motivated -- like a normal company. They only care about making government targets for the cheapest way they can, in order to maximise their profits -- Unlike services run by governments which are motivated by results felt by the public, so that government can get voted back in.

The quality of these services usually suffers massively, and is felt by those that rely on them the most (the poorest and neediest). The government's promise that market forces will lead to better quality services never seems to happen, probably because of the completely atypical way in which this particular "market" is run -- guaranteed contracts that sometimes last for decades, nothing like a normal market.

Meanwhile the ultra-rich can afford their own private services, and so aren't affected by poor quality "public" services, and now their money is being spent on themselves and their loved ones, and not the unwashed masses. They can then donate to the charities of their choice, if they feel like it, but at least the government isn't taking it all.

Then what frequently happens is that these privately own "public" services fail to make good on the promises they've made in such a big way, that the government is forced to step up and give them public money to help them out, anyway... just to try and save face. But the privatized companies only care about ticking boxes in the spreadsheet so they still get paid (e.g. "Our walk-in health centre serviced 500 per week for three months" -- no measurement of quality of service, because that's too vague).

And so it goes around and around... All because the rich want to pay less taxes.

A few scary things: The current economic crisis has allowed the conservatives (aka Republicans) to push all these changes past the public, because the public is buying into the fact that "something must be done". The fact that the conservative government is just pushing through all the things they tried to do in the 80s and 90s, and have always wanted to do, is being lost in the worry.

In America, a lot of people have lost all trust in their government, and have more faith in companies... even though the public controls the government, and big companies are invariably run by people with no ethics whatsoever -- and the public has no control over them at all.

As my conservative housemate put it: It's a company's job to make money by ANY means necessary, with no concern for ethics. It's the government's job to put laws in place to stop them from doing unethical things, and to protect the public. A pretty horrible point of view, but it shows how worrying it is when a nation starts to lose faith in their government!

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

It's much worse than shortcomings of Conservative ideology.

In response to concerns over the health bill, David Cameron called an emergency meeting, but only invited institutions that he thought would support it. They didn't, going off script and raising numerous concerns of their members.

The Conservatives promised that any petition on epetitions that got over 100,000 signitures would lead to a debate in parliament. This one, with nearly 170K, is being ignored.

Here is a list of members of the Conservative party that have vested interests in private healthcare companies.

Oh, there's this too. What they're doing is fucking outrageous and obviously corrupt.

Well, I'm not dead. This, I'm told is a good thing. I'll even be back home considerably sooner than I expected. I spent most of my afternoon alternating between fairly casual games and onset narcolepsy. Still, could be doing worse off, and my back doesn't hurt for the first time in years.

You know, you can't just post something like that and then not tell us what's up. :finger:

Glad you're alive though and that is great news about your back!! :tup:

Look uh, two or so pages back I think.'

E: Woah, 9 pages. This thread moves. And now, more uncomfortable napping!

Well, this was about the back thing, obviously. Glad it went well!

And boo for stupid government not owning up to their job!

Markets traditionally regarded as non-profit: hospitals, prisons, space exploration. I say good business is where you find it.

Nice quote, btw, Poo.

Thanks. :grin: You should hear ArmchairGeneral's Dick Jones impression. It's pretty good.

I told the girl I like how I felt and she said she likes me too. The word "love" may have been mentioned once or twice or maybe 20 times.

:tup::tup: I'm a happy skipper!

Look uh, two or so pages back I think.'

E: Woah, 9 pages. This thread moves. And now, more uncomfortable napping!

oh man, I completely missed that original post in my excitement of my recent couch purchase. Purcouchase, if you will. What will your recovery path be like the next couple o months? Seriously, I'm really glad to hear that it stopped hurting. :tup: And does that mean you have to sleep on your stomach and/or side?

oh man, I completely missed that original post in my excitement of my recent couch purchase. Purcouchase, if you will. What will your recovery path be like the next couple o months? Seriously, I'm really glad to hear that it stopped hurting. :tup: And does that mean you have to sleep on your stomach and/or side?

I sleep either on my side/stomach normally, so it's not a huge issue for me. As for the next couple of months, it's mostly just easy living, don't get too worked up, and some physical therapy here and there, if I feel I need it. It won't be too bad, it'll just be rather dull knowing I could be out running but instead I get to sit around. It's not as though I haven't been able to walk for the past few years, I'll just have a greater range of motion back now.

Gosh. You don't hang around, do you?

My girlfriend and I broke-up six months ago. I've moved on. And who dares wins, and I'm nothing if not a risk-taker.

I told the girl I like how I felt and she said she likes me too. The word "love" may have been mentioned once or twice or maybe 20 times.

:tup::tup: I'm a happy skipper!

Neat. Always nice to hear of things going well.

Enjoy yourself and so forth!

oh man, I completely missed that original post in my excitement of my recent couch purchase. Purcouchase, if you will.

Purchaise-longue.

Congrats Kroms and Orvidos!

I am currently doing something very scary and entirely independent. Early tests have gone well, but it could soak up a huge proportion of my remaining money, then fail. Eek.

Basically, to make it not fail, I need to learn a huge amount about marketing, which is not something that comes naturally to me :tmeh:

Congrats Kroms and Orvidos!

I am currently doing something very scary and entirely independent. Early tests have gone well, but it could soak up a huge proportion of my remaining money, then fail. Eek.

Basically, to make it not fail, I need to learn a huge amount about marketing, which is not something that comes naturally to me :tmeh:

I can maybe help, I know a little about marketing. What are you looking to market, what's your target audience, etc?