Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

Did someone mention Swans?

Stumbled across this video a few days ago.

Just discovered these guys:

Saw Ghost yesterday. Their live performances are hilarious and awesome. You should go see them.

I saw Ghost open for Alice in Chains. They were great, but only played for about 40 minutes, and the majority of the crowd didn't have a clue who they were. Then AiC came on and me and my mate left. Expensive 40m...

Have listened to this at least twice a day for the past week.

I highly recommend people listen to the songs from Sugar Ray's album, Floored. It's the album "Fly" came from (Iiiiiiiiiii just wanna fly~).

Spoilers: Fly was the outlier track from that album because holy fuck Sugar Ray is heavy rock.

Been on a Maus and Lower Dens kick

The singer of Dens is an open genderfluid artist and I find Hunter be an inspiration. 

@Roswell

I really enjoyed Big Bang's stuff along with the two lead's duet stuff (Top and GD). There last album was a big disappointment for me. The costuming is indeed grand. I enjoy K-pop fashion a lot in general. Often there will be overuse of something utilitarian or tacky to catch the eye that eventually grows on you. They often do this audibly in their songs too. My wife and I talk about the "baby-voice" of the band; some bands (4-minute, Hyuna in general, AoA) have a member with a raspy almost whiny member-voice that at first we find off-putting but which eventually ties the pop-song together for us. In the case of BIg Bang, GD is the baby-voice, T.O.P. is his complement.

ANYWAY..

I came in to praise Joanna Newsom's new album which I'm very impressed by.

Since I haven't seen these posted yet, I feel that I should spread some love for the new David Bowie and Busdriver songs: 

I feel so conflicted about the new Bowie because I've been successfully avoiding him all my life, but the backing band on this new album is made up of some of my favourite jazz musicians around today. This is what they sound like when they're not Bowieing:

I've liked plenty of Bowie Singles over the years and I've liked a fair amount of Bowie's production over the years (Raw Power) but I've never really tried and still can't listen to a full Bowie album. At least I thought that until The Next Day came out and it became the thing I listened to the most for 4 months.

Most of my opinions on Bowie come through the lens of my father's opinions on him (aka that he's weird but innovative.) Mostly he's told me that Bowie would come out with an album that was a good 2-3 years ahead of where music was, and by the time the rest of the industry caught up Bowie was on to something new.

I don't know how accurate this is, but if it's true it makes me respect the dude even if I'm not super into his music.

Yeah there's a lot of fun songs across those two albums but I think the only other songs I can dance to are Orgonon Gurlz and No Credit Card. I've ended up liking Gurlz way more than I should and it made me check out Kate Bush for the first time which has been great so far.

The back half of that new Bowie song is far more enjoyable than the front half. 

Whaa, nooo. The first half is so good with the hip-hop drum patterns and that Smooth Jazz saxophone! 

ANYWAY

Haha I was definitely a fan of both halves of the song but I've liked most of Bowie's music throughout the years so that may account for something. I think one of the biggest strengths this track has is how it incorporates the stylistic changes of Bowie's music throughout the years. It's bookended with a drum/sax/synth combo that would feel right at home on Outside, with a middle section straight out of Ziggy Stardust (also a 68-year-old Bowie groovin' out to said middle section, which will never get old). 

Anyway, now that I'm done rambling like an idiot about David Bowie, have some rad music videos from Lorn:

Scott Weiland, former front man of Stone Temple Pilots and generally just a cool rock artist, died tonight. I miss him so goddamn much already.

I'm starting to really fall for Blackstar. I'm feeling like this is another one of those albums that kinda alienates me at the start but almost overnight morphs into the next thing I can't be without.

I read somewhere that Bowie and Co. were all super into Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly and wanted to do their own take on that style of album. So I'm super hyped. 

Now St. Vincent and David Byrne just have to do another collab album and early next year will feel like 2013 all over again.