Spaff

New people: Read this, say hi.

Hi Guys, newbie here.

I run a one man studio called Binary Gambit, making game prototypes. I'm Australian but am currently touring the European continent, and right now find myself in Frankfurt, Germany. 

Starting out I was a one hat pony (Ideas Man) and spent a lot of energy trying to convince my programmer mates to get involved with my game ideas. Then I finally decided to teach myself all the skills needed to make games myself.

Its been a few years now and things are starting to take off. The industry is an exciting and scary place to be, but I think I have found my niche. 

Most importantly I'm a long time fan of the Idle Thumbs crew. 

Hey all,

So I've had this account for 5 years now, and I decided I should at least post something with it.  Name's Kevin, I'm 29, and I live in the entirely unexceptional state of Ohio working on jet engines.  I started listening around the episode 1-10 range, I think?

like the idea of playing a lot of different video games and having opinions about them, but Dota 2 has enveloped my soul and I'm now a good 2800 hour in.  The games I have the most nostalgia and fond memories for: Curse of Monkey Island, Jet Force Gemini, Yoshi's Island, Hero's Quest, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Armored Core series, Rollercoaster Tycoon 

There is a good chance I'll revert back to being a full time forum lurker after this.

Hi everyone,

I've been an Idle Thumbs reader for a long while, just never got around to posting here. I'm trying to kick a terrible lurking habit. :)

I'm all over the place when it comes to games, but right now I'm neck-deep in Guild Wars 2 (looking forward to the expansion!) and have been messing around in Elite: Dangerous.

I'm particularly interested in soundtrack composition for games. I've taken a couple stabs at covering or creating my own tracks, but I'm about as amateur as amateur can get.

I'm stoked to get to know you all, it seems like a wonderful community!

Jet Force Gemini

Jet Force Gemini is a game that I'm in two minds about. The story and the world was fascinating and awesome, yet the end game collectahon was a fucking joke, as well as maybe too hard for my little mind at the time. I think even Rare employees at the time realised it was too much, but it was too late to take it out. I think it was one of those things that meant that if they took it out it'd be labelled 'too short'. I never finished it, but I spent fucking ages shooting gems into a rotating hoover, to no avail.

Jet Force Gemini is a game that I'm in two minds about. The story and the world was fascinating and awesome, yet the end game collectahon was a fucking joke, as well as maybe too hard for my little mind at the time. I think even Rare employees at the time realised it was too much, but it was too late to take it out. I think it was one of those things that meant that if they took it out it'd be labelled 'too short'. I never finished it, but I spent fucking ages shooting gems into a rotating hoover, to no avail.

You're absolutely right.  I tried to replay it in college but couldn't will myself to collect everything all over again.  I think I was just of that perfect age where I was oblivious to the poor game design, and instead just saw it as a reason to keep existing inside the world.  I don't think I would ever recommend it to anyone, but it is still one of my favorite gaming experiences growing up.

The only time I'd recommend it is if someone is a serious Rare fan, in which case they've probably already played it. 

Rare was a large component of my childhood gaming, so much that I dreamt to work for them (and probably made me interested in working in the industry). I was heartbroken when they moved to Microsoft. 

For what it's worth, a bunch of ex-Rare employees who worked on BnK and DK have created a new studio called playtonic games, which gets me excited for some banjo spiritual successor.

Hello intro thread! My name is Root, I like to paint and make comics and make friends and have adventures.  I started listening to Idle Thumbs a few months ago and I enjoy it a lot, and I kind of only just recently clued in that there was a forum.  So uh here I am!

I've been listening to Idle Thumb's various podcasts for for a little over a year. I'm not really active on any video game boards since none of them really suit my interests. I'm hoping to feel at home in this community. 

Because someone (understandably) went to Idle Banter to introduce themselves, since it is off topic. It inspired the move over here. 

So how comes this has moved to Idle Banter?

Because someone (understandably) went to Idle Banter to introduce themselves, since it is off topic. It inspired the move over here. 

Ah fair enough.

THAT WAS ME!

So Sorry? /  Not Sorry & Hi!

That was you! I wasn't tryin' to put you on blast, which is why I didn't call you out by name. I think you were the inspiration for a solid move to make the welcome thread more visible!

That was you! I wasn't tryin' to put you on blast, which is why I didn't call you out by name. I think you were the inspiration for a solid move to make the welcome thread more visible!

Oh im more than happy to be the scape goat for logical change. 

Hi,

I've been an Idle Thumbs listener since... a long time, I can't remember when exactly, but I believe it was pre-baboo, so it's been a while.

I recently had my e-mail about the elephant trunked Final Fantasy character read on the show, so that's me. Connection made... boom.

Looking forward to messing around in here.

Hello,

I've become an avid Idle Thumbs reader in the last year. Love the podcast, and everyone in the forums seems awesome!

I'm a storyboard artist currently working in TV animation. I'm slowly making my way through Dragon Age Inquisition, in which my Samira Wiley-looking elf is an indecisive romancer and confusing everyone. Amazon has just informed me that Bloodborne is waiting for me on my doorstep, which I am feeling equal amounts of excitement and dread about.

My avatar is a mascot-themed meat bun I recently ate when I visited Japan. It was delicious.

Nice to meet you all!