wes_borland

Cancel the Simpsons?

Should "The Simpsons" be cancelled?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should "The Simpsons" be cancelled?

• Oh, for peak's sake, YES! Good things must end.
    • What? I still laugh at them the same way I did 10 years ago.

This might not be definitive, but since Matt Groening is (notoriously) running out of ideas, there's a strong rumor that says that "The Simpsons" will be aired until 2008.

This rumor is unverified and may be complete BS, but what do you think? Should they cancel the show or not?

It suffers the same illness as Friends did, which was also only funny for about five seasons. I happened upon some recent Simpsons episodes and it was pap. The characters have grown very stale for me, so even good jokes become meh.

they are still fun but no longer funny

that's why Futurama was supposed to replace it

Hell, no.

It's no longer funny and I don't watch it as regularily as I used to, but I'd hate to see it go. It's like... it's all right with the world as long as it's still on the air, you know?

Should have been done a long time ago already...

Ullman shorts, Christmas show,

Marge's fling, Homer's bro,

Bart in well, Flanders fails,

Whacking snakes, Monorail.

Mr. Plow, Homer space,

Sideshow Bob steps on rakes,

Lisa's future, Selma's hubby,

Marge not proud, Homer chubby.

Homer worries Bart is gay,

Poochie, U2, NRA,

Hippies, Vegas and Japan,

Octuplets, and Bart's boy band.

Marge murmurs, Maude croaks,

Lisa's Buddhist, Homer tokes,

Maggie blows Burns away,

What else do I have to say!

They'll never stop The Simpsons,

Have no fears, we've got stories for years, like:

Marge becomes a robot,

Maybe Moe gets a cell phone,

Has Bart ever owned a bear?

Or how about a crazy wedding?

Where something happens, and-do-do-do-do-do.

Sorry for the clip show.

Have no fears, we've got story for years!

CANCEL.

Earlier today I watched an episode that was extremely unfunny... it almost relied entirely on Family-Guy-like pop culture reference in lieu of the funnies. ;(

I love this sadley: ;( ;( ;(

i like the very, very, very old episodes where the profiles of the characters are pretty well done. and i also like the insane old episodes, which are very entertaining. but the new ones with stories built around celebrities and crap are ;(

so, please stop.

I haven't watched a new episode for years, honestly.

I don't get how South Park manages to keep being funny into it's 10th year, but it's the only show I still watch religiously. Admittedly though, even they have started to slip recently. Still beats most stuff on TV, but they seem to peak every three years. (Season 3 = Brilliant. Season 6 = Brilliant. Season 9 = not brilliant, but better than 7, 8, and [so far] 10) Simpsons had a similar pattern for a while, but they haven't had a good, solid season for a long time now. Time to shoot ol' yeller-skinned-cartoon-characters.

The show peaked at the Scorpio episode and it's been downhill ever since.

On Fridays the lunchroom serves hotdogs and burgers and beer! He loves German beer!

I guess characters are all important. For instance, I still love Family Guy because I love the characters and they haven't grown stale for me yet. And so, even stupid jokes or random flashbacks are humorous to me, because the characters are (still) fun. Most characters grow old after a few seasons and the show just can't possibly get on top anymore.

Wow, I haven't seen such an unanimous poll vote in a while.

I liked the simpsons when I was about 8 (don't get me wrong, I still like it), but right now I find Familiy Guy funnier, it's more sarcastic and all. The Simpsons is more goofy

Family guy has it's moments, but they often resort to cheap shots, but still the style is completely different and I don't think you can compare it to the simpsons. Just because they both are animated doesn't make them compareable.

Anyway... the simpsons just don't have a lot of playroom left. Family Guy doesn't have a lot of playroom either given it's in present space. Family Guy often uses other stories as it's base (e.g. movies or tv series). They could go the south park way (e.g. make the world they live in even more rediculous).

Futurama simply has a lot of freedom since it's in the future.

It suffers the same illness as Friends did, which was also only funny for about five seasons.

Woah, there! The Simpsons was funny for at least 8 to 10 seasons. And they still had the occasional great episode for several years after that. I rarely watch new episodes nowadays, though. For all I know, this latest season was a brilliant return to form—I don't know if I even saw an episode.

As for the newer animated shows everyone has mentioned, "Futurama" is the only one that has truly impressed me. "South Park" occasionally has the brilliant episode, but is self-satisfied, horrifically unfunny crap most of the time. "Family Guy" has had its moments, but I've never really understood the appeal of its clumsy, obvious humor. But I'm certainly in the minority in that department. :fart:

It's rubbish these days. When you find yourself more interested in seeing an ancient episode that you have seen at least twenty times rather than sit through one of the new ones, you know that the series has gone on too long.

If they're going out, they might as well quit when the movie comes out.

I wish there was some way to retroactively cancel it. Putting it down now after like a decade of lumbering around awkwardly and fading from relevance is so pathetic.