Jake

Important If True 1: A Gleaming Collaborative Future

50 posts in this topic

Important If True 1:

Important If True 1


A Gleaming Collaborative Future
I can't believe we've done this. It's a brand new podcast. Join us, won't you? We're delving into the minutiae of pop culture, technology, and our own lives to find some kind of meaning—or at least to spin everything out as absurdly as we can. This week: Why do hawks ride planes, when they could fly? Who oils The Terminator's pecs? And what's Snagglepuss up to, exactly? These questions and more are answered definitively, sort of.

Chris' Endorsement: Fish Spatula, aka Fish Turner, aka Oliver Fishturner

Nick's Endorsement: Farberware Nonstick Skillet

Jake's Endorsement: Listening to Nick starting at 54:30

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snagglepuss is more of a Bert Lahr (cowardly Lion), but I still appreciate an occasion to hear Jake's Ed Wynn voice. 

 

That comic looks so weird. I don't even get who would be nostalgic for those characters... That era of Hannah Barbara stuff is kind of terrible to begin with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey this was great!

 

Also if you wanted to make a joke about how everything is getting a dark modern reboot these days, you wouldn't even use Snagglepuss as a punchline because it's too implausible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, a race of robotic terminators who call themselves "The Collaborators" is a pretty great.

 

I second Chris's recommendation, that thing is a game changer - great for scraping fond as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I expected this to be a time filler podcast, as opposed to one I actively looked forward to, and I was completely wrong!

 

Amazing start.

0VgrHvs.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Salacious Snake said:

Snagglepuss is more of a Bert Lahr (cowardly Lion), but I still appreciate an occasion to hear Jake's Ed Wynn voice. 

 

That comic looks so weird. I don't even get who would be nostalgic for those characters... That era of Hannah Barbara stuff is kind of terrible to begin with. 

It's the only voice I have!

- read in "snagglepuss voice"

 

 

40 minutes ago, SL128 said:

I expected this to be a time filler podcast, as opposed to one I actively looked forward to, and I was completely wrong!

 

Amazing start.

0VgrHvs.png

Thanks!! That's so encouraging to hear. Hopefully you're one of many who feel this way :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I legitimately thought the cast was just getting confused and that the one who said "Exit stage left, stage right even" was actually the Pink Panther. As the conversation continued and I then googled his picture, I had a very slow descent into realising that the true fool was me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SuperBiasedMan said:

I legitimately thought the cast was just getting confused and that the one who said "Exit stage left, stage right even" was actually the Pink Panther. As the conversation continued and I then googled his picture, I had a very slow descent into realising that the true fool was me.

 

Its canon characteristic of all Snagglepusses in all the Snagglepuss multiverse 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was on the subway in Kiev at a very busy station and saw a man with a falcon walking to the train. It was just perched on his arm wearing its little hat thing.

Side note: also saw a man bleeding heavily from a badly bandaged hand sitting on the stairs out of a subway station there. Kiev was a very intense place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like that this podcast's name is not a reference to human anatomy. "Idle Thumbs" has always grossed me out a little. 

 

I realize that's probably weird and I'm likely the only one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jake, when you said all Terminator sequels are bad movies were you lumping Terminator 2 in that camp? Because I don't want to be Mr. Disagrees With Jake About Sequels To Seminal American Sci-Fi Films but Terminator 2 is pretty great.

 

This is a very good podcast and what I'd hope it'd be. Well worth supporting the Patreon to get it ad free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A robot is any machine that can perform complex tasks. An android is a robot that looks like a human. Or a robot is a rectangle and an android is a human-shaped square.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Chris was describing the kitchen implement at the end, I was thinking it was what I know as a "fish slice." And apparently it's called a fish turner in the US? Separated by a common language, I suppose.

 

Also, while watching the video version on youtube, I realised there are much more dainty little hand gestures being made at all times than I ever imagined during an episode of Idle Thumbs.

 

 

3 hours ago, Cordeos said:

I was on the subway in Kiev at a very busy station and saw a man with a falcon walking to the train. It was just perched on his arm wearing its little hat thing.

Side note: also saw a man bleeding heavily from a badly bandaged hand sitting on the stairs out of a subway station there. Kiev was a very intense place.

 

:tup::tup::tup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did not notice Nick's subtle Goldblum-ing until after Jake mentioned it, and I died laughing when I went back. I initially thought that Jake was just laughing at the fact that the ending had become a weird, low-key cooking show.

 

A great first ep! You guys certainly hit the ground running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patrick R said:

Jake, when you said all Terminator sequels are bad movies were you lumping Terminator 2 in that camp? Because I don't want to be Mr. Disagrees With Jake About Sequels To Seminal American Sci-Fi Films but Terminator 2 is pretty great.

 

This is a very good podcast and what I'd hope it'd be. Well worth supporting the Patreon to get it ad free.

 

Oh no I like Terminator 2. I like Terminator 1 more than 2 at this point (a flip of my opinion when younger) but I like the first two movies a lot. Anything after that, no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris,

 

I'm patronizing Important if True at the ad free version level but do you get extra income for listening to the ad sponsored version or do you only get paid if people use the referral codes? If you actually get some more ad revenue for more "ad version playthroughs" I'm happy to listen to the ad-sponsored version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, DocRandal said:

Chris,

 

I'm patronizing Important if True at the ad free version level but do you get extra income for listening to the ad sponsored version or do you only get paid if people use the referral codes? If you actually get some more ad revenue for more "ad version playthroughs" I'm happy to listen to the ad-sponsored version.

 

It kind of depends. The Idle Thumbs podcast is repped by a real ad company that pays based on download numbers. But Important If True is not, because it's new and small, so the ads are just based on direct referrals. (The other wrinkle here is that Idle Thumbs is probably not going to be repped by a real company much longer, as we have lost about half of our listeners in the last couple weeks, haha.)

 

So anyway, in the case of IIT for now, it doesn't make any difference if you listen to the ad versions or not. That may change if the podcast becomes big enough to actually get real ads again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished the episode and I was thoroughly entertained!

 

Random things:

7 hours ago, SuperBiasedMan said:

 

I legitimately thought the cast was just getting confused and that the one who said "Exit stage left, stage right even" was actually the Pink Panther. As the conversation continued and I then googled his picture, I had a very slow descent into realising that the true fool was me.

 

Fun fact: The original Pink Panther wasn't a character. The cartoon was the intro the the first 1963 movie starting Peter Sellers as Jacques Clouseau but was just a representation of the diamond that was to be stolen as the main plot of the film. I know I had only ever thought of the Pink Panther as that character from the cartoons that spawned from the series of films, so it was fun to see the original and how different it was.

 

Also:

I like the endorsements! I am on track to go three for three from today's episode as I already own a fish turner, definitely went back and listened to that clip while gazing into the eyes of Goldblum and will be picking up one of those farberware pans as soon as my first check rolls in (Though sadly won't use the fish turner with it because it's nonstick and needs a plastic spatula).

 

Cheers, and looking forward to next weeks episode!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great episode!

 

This might be an unpopular request, but since the pod count has been reset, but it'd be great if you guys could take a little time to introduce yourselves again next episode. Reason being is that I feel like the low number is a good opportunity to link the podcast to some friends, and promote the show a little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Flay said:

Great episode!

 

This might be an unpopular request, but since the pod count has been reset, but it'd be great if you guys could take a little time to introduce yourselves again next episode. Reason being is that I feel like the low number is a good opportunity to link the podcast to some friends, and promote the show a little.

 

This is a dumb question maybe but what information would you want in an introduction? I'm asking because I don't actually ever know what to say, haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally caught that Nick was Goldblum-ing before it was called out on the show.

 

I know it's silly, but I'm glad to hear the ad-reads staying as "live" ad reads, and not some pretaped boring nonsense. I guess this means that people will probably still want to hear the ad-supported versions for more of that hot #content

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was surprising to hear you talk about Snagglepuss without mentioning him as a gay stereotype. My primary connection to Snagglepuss was always as "the gay Hanna Barbera character", even without knowing he was supposed to work in the theater. And it even sounds like the new Snagglepuss has specified that further into a Tennessee Williams figure. Am I the only one who makes that association?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now