dium

Pokemon Moon (beautiful) and Sun (more beautiful)

y'all crazy nothing is cuter than a lil baby owl with a bowtie NOTHING!!!!!!!

See, for cutest I think I'd go: Squirtle, Chikorita, Torchic, Piplup, Snivy, Fennekin, Rowlet.

y'all crazy nothing is cuter than a lil baby owl with a bowtie NOTHING!!!!!!!

this is why i can't handle this, because i love owl but i also love cat D:

It's trivial to play through the game with both (or all three).

...but I know, it kinda feels like cheating.

this is why i can't handle this, because i love owl but i also love cat D:

they are for sure both great

the water one ain't too shabby either but not so much a fan of the nose

unless its final evolution is a giant-ass clown seal...

The real answer for cutest per generation is clearly:

ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, and ditto.

/s

Yo, i love the seal, and if my heart wasn't owned by kitty cats I would for sure pick Popplio.

GODDAMN THIS MANIPULATIVE HORRIBLE JAPANESE TRAILER

I'M NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING

DON'T LOOK AT ME

Chesnaught looks like crap. Seriously the worst final evolution in the history of starter pokemon. Especially when Chespin is really cute. 

Fire Kitty or Grass Owl is a tough decision. Circus seal can fuck right off though.

GODDAMN THIS MANIPULATIVE HORRIBLE JAPANESE TRAILER

I'M NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING

DON'T LOOK AT ME

I was welling up. No shame.

Oh my god that grass starter.

This is how the news was broken to me. 

1exkoH7.png

And that is pretty much my thought process too. And I don't even really like pokemon.

fingus, when you say you don't really like pokemon it's because you mean that you really really really love pokemon right? RIGHT????

These new starters are cute, but all starters post Smugleaf are its lesser.

pNO9oyn.png

This is not like, an opinion or anything, this is just a fact of life.

WWSD: What Would Smugleaf Disdain

Grass starters are always the best, beginning with the greatest pokémon of all time: Bulbasaur.

It just means that every two or three iteratons I get pulled back in, but end up never completing it because I realize I'm not that into the game after all and drop it halfway though the gyms. I love the art and mood of the games, but I'm just not that into the game itself. 

I suspect it's because the front facing mechanics don't have a very compelling amount of depth to them. I of course realize the games are incredibly deep, but most of that exists in sub systems like breeding which are outside the core loop. I'm aware that the combat has a great amount of depth to it with stuff like elemental pierce etc. But the game itself isn't really challenging enough to warrant me researching and building my roster around it. I've always just bulldozed through the games with my first 4 pokemon, and bring along a couple other that I think look cool.

Right, you don't like it, you love it.

In seriousness though it took me like 19 years to dig into the deeper stuff. I understand though Fingus. That stuff isn't exposed and intimidating and not even really available until halfway through a playthrough or more. I love the collecting, so that carries me through until the breeding is available.

It just means that every two or three iteratons I get pulled back in, but end up never completing it because I realize I'm not that into the game after all and drop it halfway though the gyms. I love the art and mood of the games, but I'm just not that into the game itself. 

I suspect it's because the front facing mechanics don't have a very compelling amount of depth to them. I of course realize the games are incredibly deep, but most of that exists in sub systems like breeding which are outside the core loop. I'm aware that the combat has a great amount of depth to it with stuff like elemental pierce etc. But the game itself isn't really challenging enough to warrant me researching and building my roster around it. I've always just bulldozed through the games with my first 4 pokemon, and bring along a couple other that I think look cool.

I was talking to my wife and what I said to her is that it feels like the game is missing a middle level of complexity. If you want to just kinda understand types and grab the pokemon that look the coolest and level them up, the game has that in spades and is very beatable that way. If you want to really get into the nitty-gritty and breed your own with all the perfect AVs to make them absolute fighting machines (or all shinies) you can do that. But there's no middle ground between them. I don't want to spend the time required to do the EV thing, but I also don't find the surface level tactics all that satisfying either. I want a deeper level of mechanics I can intuit without a 300 page guide.

I was talking to my wife and what I said to her is that it feels like the game is missing a middle level of complexity. If you want to just kinda understand types and grab the pokemon that look the coolest and level them up, the game has that in spades and is very beatable that way. If you want to really get into the nitty-gritty and breed your own with all the perfect AVs to make them absolute fighting machines (or all shinies) you can do that. But there's no middle ground between them. I don't want to spend the time required to do the EV thing, but I also don't find the surface level tactics all that satisfying either. I want a deeper level of mechanics I can intuit without a 300 page guide.

This.  I tried to do the whole perfect breeding thing back in college because apparently I made more time on my hands than I honestly should have.  That said, it was a HUGE time-sink, and it made me so jaded for the series.  Depending on if that mid-level complexity is somehow in there (I have no clue what they could come up with) this could be the first game I buy in a _while_.

The idea that the next level of engagement in the game is to keep track of invisible stats is just too tedious to me.

[edit: typo]

They've done more and more to make the EV and IV systems less opaque over the generations. Most of the challenges that exist are fan created, like nuzlocke or a living dex. I would like to see something from game freak in the middle. I have been a fan for ~20 years now. I'm okay with them staying as baby games with no middle, but it's something I would definitely enjoy if they do it.

I think the middle level IS EV training. It's honestly quite intuitive: fight a high attack pokemon, increase your attack; fight a fast pokemon, increase your speed. The 3DS games now show the spread of the EVs of each of your Pokemon off the bat (although they still don't show exact numbers, grr) and have that extra minigame for EVs as well. Moreover, your Pokemon will gain EVs from battling anyway, just not necessarily in the spread you want, but more EVs is better than no EVs. The crux of this is essentially, make sure you actually use your Pokemon before an important fight rather than use a freshly caught one, because that fresh Pokemon will have no EVs whatsoever and thus not be as strong as it could be, even if it were higher level. And this stuff isn't something that you NEED to consult online, talking to NPCs (like literally every other RPG) will elucidate some of these mechanics and that's really all you need to go on with for the single-player. 

Right, but all of that doesn't get you much unless you breed a level 1 Pokemon, and then fight level 1 enemies with the right EVs until you max out the ones you want.

Actually in X/Y (touch the magic) they give you a way to reset the EVs of any pokemon and I want to say you no longer need to level up a pokemon for EVs to take effect.

Oh, that's nice. I think the last one I played was Black so maybe they've fixed a lot in the interim I guess. The experience I had when moving through my history with pokemon (Blue, FireRed, Pearl, Black) was a lot of additional systems bolted on such as the dress-up game and more story with rivals and friends, rather than any really new mechanics. A lot has probably happened since then.

Yeah, that's what I meant when I said that they've made a lot of those systems less opaque and exposed them to the player. There's a EV training minigame that doesn't even require you to battle in X/Y, plus a goofy little 'tap the screen' interface that lets you EV train your pokemon in your party as well, and if you have a team that you want to EV train identically, you can turn exp share on and give them all the EVs you earn all at once.

A lot has probably happened since then.

...Eh. Not really. The EV stuff was the only major thing gameplay-wise from Black/White to X/Y. That and the least creepy petting minigame on the 3DS. Still a bit creepy what with the Jinx's and all that.