Sign in to follow this  
Jov

This forum is weird (Look a new topic!)

I am personally a little saddened that the "anime" thread is now literally just the home-away-from-home for the Key Frames team.

Perhaps there should be a new thread for each show.

Idle Banter is just a cluttered mess as it should be so it wouldn't matter.

Zeus (not Gormongous) wrote:

The mega threads in Idle Banter are great and I wouldn't change anything about this subforum. However, I agree with a lot of syntheticgerbil's complaints about the Video Gaming subforum. I really like going into deep dives about whatever game I'm playing and just generally love to discuss every little detail and what I do and don't like. I feel like that kind of discourse just really never gains enough traction there and I know I at least start to feel a little self conscious that I'm coming across as grandstanding when I do put up a 4 paragraph post about all of my dumb thoughts on a game and nobody responds. I don't know that there is an easy solution though since that is kind of just a side effect of having such a small community. The only games that are going to get more than a few people playing and discussing them are going to be the big releases and the rest of the games out there will maybe just see a few posts trickle in every now and then. That is definitely a bummer for me, especially because I tend to lag a few/20 years behind everyone else on whatever current game I'm playing. There are definitely a few interesting topics I keep up on there but I find myself just glossing over the subforum more and more lately.

Yeah, maybe I'm alone in searching for what people said about a game years after, as usually after I finish something I go and check for the thread on it and get happy there's like 10 pages to go through as someone might have something interesting to say. Then I bump if I have anything to add, but even if I don't bump it, I like them being in one easy to find place.

I used to have qualms about starting threads because I didn't know if other people would get any benefit out of them.

If I get what I was looking for out of them it was worth the thread, even if that was "figuring out other people aren't interested in this subject".

These forums have been pretty great and have been my only presence on the internet because the internet is usually a pretty damn annoying place. I signed up for the poop jokes and ended up staying for the constant barrage of insightful commentary. I like the balance between the serious and not so serious topics around Idle Banter and find that there is almost always a thread worth posting in that fits whatever mindset or mood I'm in.

The mega threads in Idle Banter are great and I wouldn't change anything about this subforum. However, I agree with a lot of syntheticgerbil's complaints about the Video Gaming subforum. I really like going into deep dives about whatever game I'm playing and just generally love to discuss every little detail and what I do and don't like. I feel like that kind of discourse just really never gains enough traction there and I know I at least start to feel a little self conscious that I'm coming across as grandstanding when I do put up a 4 paragraph post about all of my dumb thoughts on a game and nobody responds. I don't know that there is an easy solution though since that is kind of just a side effect of having such a small community. The only games that are going to get more than a few people playing and discussing them are going to be the big releases and the rest of the games out there will maybe just see a few posts trickle in every now and then. That is definitely a bummer for me, especially because I tend to lag a few/20 years behind everyone else on whatever current game I'm playing. There are definitely a few interesting topics I keep up on there but I find myself just glossing over the subforum more and more lately.

I have seen the same problem and have chosen not to post at times. I'll say that I find your commentary particularly insightful and near my own opinions and will actually open a thread for a game I haven't played when I see your name on the most recent post.

Also, I go back and read old threads for games I've just completed as well.

I have seen the same problem and have chosen not to post at times. I'll say that I find your commentary particularly insightful and near my own opinions and will actually open a thread for a game I haven't played when I see your name on the most recent post.

Also, I go back and read old threads for games I've just completed as well.

Ah geez, thanks man, that means a lot!

I will admit the last few games I've played have been especially great because there have actually been some good, healthy threads for each of them with lots of great posts from other people sharing their thoughts and experiences. The KSP thread has been especially inspiring to go back and read through after I started playing the game. I need to remember to get some of my own screenshots and progress updates in there now that I've actually gotten to a point where I'm doing more interesting things.

I am dropping a post in here because I've seen a couple mentions of a Slack chat and had no idea the forums had one and I want in. Tell me who I need to send money to.

Nope, I was there too. I just changed my name between there and here. I will never reveal my original name, because then you'll realize that you've actually known me since I was in 8th grade.

Wow, I wish I could remember your old name, because I probably have known you since you were in 8th grade... I haven't changed mine so you can theoretically go back and find out how much of an idiot I was on the adventuregamers forum when I was a wee kid..

Me and Twig found out we constantly argued with each other on a Nintendo fan forum when we were kids.

The Internet! :tup:

I am dropping a post in here because I've seen a couple mentions of a Slack chat and had no idea the forums had one and I want in. Tell me who I need to send money to.

I assume you're just using "send money" as a phrase, but in case you're not we just use the free version so you can sign up with that link problem machine posted, no money needed.

(The paid version of slack is per person per month and we've been over a hundred for a while now, so it would literally be thousands of dollars a month)

I assume you're just using "send money" as a phrase, but in case you're not we just use the free version so you can sign up with that link problem machine posted, no money needed.

(The paid version of slack is per person per month and we've been over a hundred for a while now, so it would literally be thousands of dollars a month)

It was a joke about bribing my way into a slack chat. 

Y'all will never guess my previous username on this forum.

I bet Speedydesiato could have. Man, where did that guy get to?

I bet Speedydesiato could have. Man, where did that guy get to?

I've heard that he will return when the people need him most.

Is anyone going to start a GOTY thread this year or what? I want to shill Rainbow Six: Siege more.

How do you change the title of a thread that you started? I click on "Topic Moderation" and it just gives me a tab that says "hide".

I consider myself new to these forums (even though chronologically I think I've been here for like a year now) and I never bothered attempting reading the megathreads from the beginning or introducing myself. That's not how you do forums. You just lurk for a little bit to get a feel for the social norms (which you can bypass by listening to the podcast - I found the forums through the podcast and was glad but not surprised to find they share the same tone) and then you start posting like you've been here the whole time.  And then you forget to keep up with the forum for weeks at a time and check in to see if anyone is talking about a game you just started playing and want to talk about.  Or at least that's how I do it.

I don't feel like this forum is especially cliquish.  I mean sure a bunch of you know each other and are friends but that's generally how online communities work, you build a shared history together and that's normal anywhere, but like, I never felt like my own contributions were overlooked or that my activity here or in the slack was at all unwelcome, so.

(edit: I registered march 14 of last year.  So pretty much exactly one year now!  That's.. not a lot of posts in the space of a year.)