dartmonkey

Modest Tech: The NX Generation (Nintendo Switch)

I just got 3 and a half hours playing Zelda on a bus at minimum brightness with headphones. I had flight mode on, which turns off wireless controllers. Not bad.

I'm pleased with how quickly it wakes from sleep. Which makes sense since it has a mobile chip. 

On 3/5/2017 at 10:18 PM, YoThatLimp said:

Do we have a friends code list up yet?

2424 4023 2249

Added you. I'm "Pete" with the Resetti icon.

Oh man, I just Google image searched 'joy con' and scrolled down just a bit to find...

joycon.thumb.png.a98eda4703254c6780b2e085ddbcdf8c.png

Ronald. Fucking. Reagan.

Makes sense if you think about it.

You know, one thing I'm missing from the Switch is the 3DS app that let you see which games you had played and for how long. It's a silly thing, but both me and my partner are playing Zelda and the savegames only show the date. We have super different playing styles (I'm noodling away my time stealthing butterflies and gleefully distracted by every goddamn heron I see, she's playing with more focus on the story), so I am curious how that'll translate into our playing time.

The Switch really has a sparse suite of tools. Not that that's bad per se - there's definitely no deluge of questionable software to whisk away into folders - but some things are sorely missed. Some more interactivity with friends would also be welcome, even if it's just a rudimentary messaging system or something to collect. I kind of expect Nintendo to release stuff like this in the coming months.

7 hours ago, Roderick said:

Makes sense if you think about it.

You know, one thing I'm missing from the Switch is the 3DS app that let you see which games you had played and for how long. It's a silly thing, but both me and my partner are playing Zelda and the savegames only show the date. We have super different playing styles (I'm noodling away my time stealthing butterflies and gleefully distracted by every goddamn heron I see, she's playing with more focus on the story), so I am curious how that'll translate into our playing time.

The Switch really has a sparse suite of tools. Not that that's bad per se - there's definitely no deluge of questionable software to whisk away into folders - but some things are sorely missed. Some more interactivity with friends would also be welcome, even if it's just a rudimentary messaging system or something to collect. I kind of expect Nintendo to release stuff like this in the coming months.

Yeah, I think the OS side of things feels a bit underbaked - there is a lot fo basic functionality missing. The UI seems snappy for now at least which is nice. Nintendo 64 was really the *last Nintendo console I engaged in, so I'm not sure if this is SoP or if the Switch just came in a little hot. 

*i did buy a Wii, but just used it as a drunken Wii Sports machine 

That along with the fact that the Switch is basically a tablet but doesn't have Netflix is a little baffling. It should be their most social thing yet especially with the multiplayer angle of selling it, but I guess (hope) that stuff just isn't done yet?

Crazy thing is that I don't really mind. I look forward to seeing the console flesh out in real-time over the next year. And having nothing to distract from playing Zelda ain't bad.

I don't super mind. If it never gets Netflix I'd consider that a disappointment, but I'd still get it. Likewise streetpass and miiverse style social stuff would be a nice addition but aren't game changers.

Streetpass I miss.

...That's the only thing I miss. Otherwise it's perfect for me so far. I actually couldn't be happier with it.

What's everyone's game after Zelda? Is it a check back in on Mario in November Switch Sitch, or are there other things lined up you want to grab and play?

Buncha indie games and otherwise smaller titles. Spla2n. I'll probably grab Mario Kart 8 again, now that I can bring it to work and play with friends over lunch. Arms. Puyo Puyo Tetris. Still haven't grabbed Snipperclips.

At least a dozen games on the Switch this year (assuming no delays) that I at least have my eye on..

I've got my fingers crossed for The Witness. I've already got Snipperclippers(?) which is bitesize fun for 2-players. Otherwise, Yooka-Laylee will be my next big one. Although right now I'm in an unusual Zen zone where I think I'd be happy with Zelda for several months. Maybe that'll wear off.

1 hour ago, sclpls said:

Sure wish these things weren't stupid hard to track down.

I bought mine from Amazon Books in Seattle and they had a stack of fifty or more on Saturday. Sorry it's tougher for you :(

3 hours ago, Badfinger said:

What's everyone's game after Zelda? Is it a check back in on Mario in November Switch Sitch, or are there other things lined up you want to grab and play?

I'm also good with it being a Zelda rectangle for the next few months. There's supposed to be god, what, over a hundred shrines? A map 10x bigger than Skyrim? I'm about five hours in and I've only done seven shrines so far. This is gonna take me a while.

There is no way I finish Zelda before Puyo Puyo Tetris (my next release milestone) is released. 

Switch is shaping up to have a lot of great games on it's first year. Is that Witness just a rumour or wishful thinking or confirmed?

It was a "we'll see" from J-Blow back when it was still NX, and wishful thinking from me now :) I'd love to be able to take the Witness in the bus.

I'm kind of digging the "hold the Joy-Cons separately" control method. I liked that about the Wii, and it works even better here (being fully wireless).

Also, you can earn My Nintendo gold points for physical carts now? Which I think is a first.