dartmonkey

Modest Tech: The NX Generation (Nintendo Switch)

21 minutes ago, Beasteh said:

The messaging is all over the place - is it aimed at the casual market or the hardcore? They seem split between the two, stretched a bit thin - 1-2-Switch and Arms for the Wii-like experience, but nothing else. Hardcore types get Zelda and some JRPGs. Both groups get Mario Kart and Mario Odyssey. I think they should have chosen to focus the message on one group. That probably would have meant the more casual players (since most diehards will buy on Day 1 regardless - the Wii proved that).

I do wonder if there really is still a market for a Wii-like experience. I definitely don't think there is among so-called hardcore gamers. In fact, Game Informer has one of their little informal surveys up on the main site for Switch games that people are most looking forward to and 1-2 Switch and Arms are right near the bottom. But who knows, the grandmothers of the Wii generation are now great grandmothers and there could be a whole new market of grandmothers that missed out on the original craze.

I feel like a trajectory is starting to emerge. With the Wii, they introduced motion controls so your movements would translate to the screen. Then with the WiiU, they initially tried and failed to take that to the next level by having you put the screen on the floor and whack golfballs off of it onto the TV screen. Now, with the Switch, they have evolved past you even needing a screen and multiplayer gaming just involves you staring into your opponents eyes as your senses are melted with haptic feedback.

I'm calling it, the next Nintendo system will be the Nintendo Pretendo. And it will just be an empty box with limitless possibilities. And a fee for online play.

Hopefully the touch screen means it'll function reasonably well as a tablet, with decent tools for using the Internet. People gave generally been positive on the hardware (besides the price) so I'm optimistic.

I love that the Switch has so many different options for input. Means there's potential for many different types of experiences. I'll buy Mario and Arms and be very satisfied with both. (Probably. Assuming I end up enjoying them.) Bring it.

This was a pretty much great Direct from start to finish.

So many games, so many Fire Emblems.

So Fire Emblem Echoes aka Fire Emblem Gaiden remake coming for 3DS now in May 2017 and two Amiibos as well, Fire Emblem Warriors coming for Switch and New 3DS autumn 2017. Also Fire Emblem main series new entry coming to Switch in 2018.

And then also we get the first look at the Android & iOS FE game Fire Emblem Heroes. Game is coming in two weeks to Android first, which took me completely by surprise as I had thought Nintendo sold their soul to Tim Cook. Voting for the heroes is open, you can vote once per day during two weeks starting today. You have to link your My Nintendo account and it will show apparently your voting history. You will also get once 200 platinum points to My Nintendo when voting.

http://www.fire-emblem-heroes.com

E: Super Mario Run has been confirmed to launch in March for Android. So four months was the exclusivity period for iOS.

The more I think about it the more mad I get that all those journalists went to that Switch event in New York and not one thought to bring measuring tape.

The FE Nintendo Direct was well produced, if also not what I expected. I was anticipating a HUGE reveal on Fire Emblem Warriors, seeing as that's the up-coming big Switch thing. Instead we got one measly additional shot which made it look hilarious and cheap, rather than enticing. The mobile game looked cute and they went so far to explain all the things you could do there. It felt highly aimed at newcomers to the series.

But, hey, if you're a die-hard FE fan, you definitely got four games in the next two years to look out for! So, I guess, Fire Emblem is in full production right now. A cash cow rivalling Mario at the moment. Which is neither a complaint nor a concern.

On 1/18/2017 at 6:37 AM, SecretAsianMan said:

NOA has said that it does not work like PS+.  The game is free for that month only, after which you must pay to keep playing.

I wonder if this may be miscommunication in a way. I can see it being a case where you can download it during the month and as long as you don't delete it, it's yours. After that month, if you delete it, you need to pay to get access to it again. Totally pulling this out of my ass, but it's a way that I can see both reports being true.

On 1/18/2017 at 2:41 PM, Beasteh said:

(please Nintendo, buy the rights to Goldeneye or Perfect Dark - nostalgia-soaked twenty- and thirty-somethings would sell their souls to play those online)

To be fair, the XBLA release of Perfect Dark way back in 2009 (2010?) had online multiplayer. It's both backwards compatible with the XBone and is in the Rare Replay collection, so it's really not hard to play PD online right this second if you're that hard up for it. I could walk into the next room and start up a multiplayer lobby, should the mood strike me.

The following comes from some questions Kotaku sent Nintendo. Lots of 'nothing to announce' but I highlighted some interesting points in italics. No Netflix at launch, though it's surely got to come, especially now you can download stuff and watch it offline. My reading is 'no cloud saves', but they better come with the paid online. Losing your system (and save data) is a real fear with a portable. Cloud saves are ESSENTIAL. 

Is Switch backwards compatible in any way? Will you be able to download or play Wii, Wii U, or 3DS games?

Error loading media: File could not be played

The Nintendo Switch system is not backward compatible with games designed for other systems, and is not currently compatible with controllers designed for other systems. Support for certain controllers may be considered for a future update. We have nothing to announce regarding Virtual Console or other types of digital purchases at this time.

How if at all does the Switch connect to Wii U and 3DS owners’ existing accounts?

We have nothing to announce at this time.

Will the Switch be compatible with existing Virtual Console purchases?

Will the Switch have its own library of Virtual Console games that starts from scratch, or will it bring over the Virtual Console library from 3DS and Wii U?

How will SNES online functionality work? Which games will it support?

For those concerned about the 32GB of storage, how will that work for playing downloadable games? How will it work for DLC and patches?

The Nintendo Switch system has 32GB of internal NAND memory, a portion of which is reserved for use by the system. The system’s internal memory can be easily expanded as needed using microSDXC cards.

The SDXC standard supports up to 2TB of storage. (Note that 2TB cards are not yet on the market, but Nintendo Switch will support them when they are.) External USB hard drives are not supported at launch, but we are researching the possibility of supporting them in the future.

If no microSDXC card is used, everything is stored in internal NAND memory. If a microSDXC card is used, game save data is stored in internal NAND memory while data that can be redownloaded, such as digital games, game updates, and DLC, is stored on the microSDXC card. Nintendo Switch game cards are non-writable; game save data is stored in internal NAND memory.

Is there a trophy or achievements system?

The 3DS has built in games and the Wii and Wii U were bundled with games. Are there any games being bundled with the Switch?

There are no games being bundled with Nintendo Switch.

Every launch is different, and with each one we try to make the best decision for the consumer, marketplace and our company. We believe the hardware configuration at the price point we’ve chosen is a great consumer value. The consumer will have their choice of great software for the system.

How does the Share button work? Does it allow you to capture video as well as screenshots? Will it allow you to stream on Twitch or YouTube?

The Capture Button is located on the Joy-Con (L) controller and the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, and lets users grab screenshots from their games. They can then view, edit (add text of various sizes, colors and positions) and post them to social media. The original unedited screenshot is also saved.

We are planning to add the ability to record video in the future.

Switch won’t have Miiverse - will there be Miis? Or any other equivalent?

While Miiverse will continue to be supported on the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS systems, our approach with the Nintendo Switch system is to make greater use of other established, broadly used social platforms. For example, captured gameplay screenshots can be shared on popular social networks, and social features such as voice chat are possible with smart devices through our app.

There is a Mii Maker on Nintendo Switch. The software to create Mii characters is now located in System Settings, and no longer resides on the HOME menu as a standalone application. You can also create a Mii character from the Profile screen. Making Mii characters is similar to the method used on past systems.

Mii characters can be used to represent a user profile, but are not required. Users also have the option to choose a profile picture from an included library of Nintendo character images. Mii characters can still be used in games if developers choose to include them.

You can send/receive Mii characters through local wireless communication between Nintendo Switch systems, or use an amiibo figure to transfer Mii Characters from Wii U and Nintendo 3DS systems.

Mii characters on the Nintendo Switch system are similar to past iterations, but they have some different options. More facial components and colors for hair and skin have been added, while the following attributes have been removed: creator’s name, favorites, birthday, copying, and “public.”

Will Switch support Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO Go, or any other streaming services?

All of our efforts have gone toward making the Nintendo Switch system an amazing dedicated video game platform, so it will not support any video-streaming services at launch. However, support for video-streaming services is being considered for a future update.

Will online stores be region-free or just cartridges?

The Nintendo Switch system is not region locked, but we recommend that players buy games within their region to ensure full service and support. The user will access the Nintendo eShop that corresponds to the country identified in their Nintendo Account. (Up to eight user accounts can be created on a single Nintendo Switch system.)

48 minutes ago, dartmonkey said:

If no microSDXC card is used, everything is stored in internal NAND memory. If a microSDXC card is used, game save data is stored in internal NAND memory while data that can be redownloaded, such as digital games, game updates, and DLC, is stored on the microSDXC card. Nintendo Switch game cards are non-writable; game save data is stored in internal NAND memory.

That certainly sounds like a definitive position on saved games as compared to the 3DS, where stuff can be saved on the cart, on the SD card, or on the internal memory (or even a weird combination of the above). I suspect they've done it to try and remove the possibility of people hacking their saved games by putting the Micro SD into a computer. Of course, this also means you can't backup saves without using the cloud...

I don't really care about the lack of TV/media streaming stuff at launch. Doubtless Netflix et al will roll up if the thing sells, but I'm still waiting for Nintendo to compensate us in Europe for the total absence of the 'TVii' functionality on the Wii U. :P

5 minutes ago, marginalgloss said:

but I'm still waiting for Nintendo to compensate us in Europe for the total absence of the 'TVii' functionality on the Wii U.

Oh weird, I don't even remember hearing about this.

I'm actually kind of leaning towards picking up a New 3DS for cheap and just waiting to see how this turns out - should be an interesting time! 

2 hours ago, YoThatLimp said:

I'm actually kind of leaning towards picking up a New 3DS for cheap and just waiting to see how this turns out - should be an interesting time! 

Giant Bomb keeps talking about the fact that 3DS stock is really low atm. I was definitely considering picking up one for the holidays, but the $99 version sold out instantly and the rest never really went on sale. Just checked amazon and they're only available from other retailers for $200+. Damn Nintendo and their conservative inventory management!

Looks like Nintendo are still holding out on us about their online store. "We have nothing to announce at this time" to all questions about it.

On 18/01/2017 at 10:02 PM, Zeusthecat said:

I do wonder if there really is still a market for a Wii-like experience. I definitely don't think there is among so-called hardcore gamers. In fact, Game Informer has one of their little informal surveys up on the main site for Switch games that people are most looking forward to and 1-2 Switch and Arms are right near the bottom.

Nintendo fans are going to buy Switch regardless. I don't think other hardcore gamers are seriously going to look at a Switch, at least not for their main gaming machine. Nintendo's saving grace last gen was a handful of unique titles that you just couldn't experience anywhere else, so folks bought it to supplement their other platform. But as a second console, the launch price is hard to justify. PS4 costs less and has a more conventional selection of "hardcore" titles. Switch will be good if you like JRPGs, though.

11 hours ago, miffy495 said:

To be fair, the XBLA release of Perfect Dark way back in 2009 (2010?) had online multiplayer. It's both backwards compatible with the XBone and is in the Rare Replay collection, so it's really not hard to play PD online right this second if you're that hard up for it. I could walk into the next room and start up a multiplayer lobby, should the mood strike me.

I did not know that. I'd written off the XB1, but that's actually pretty good!

I'm starting to think that maybe Reggie is speaking the truth about the 3DS sticking around as a platform. Especially now that there's a new Fire Emblem game announced on it, where I thought Yoshi's Woolly World would be its swan song. There's also the price to consider: a 330 euro Switch isn't going to be a viable replacement for people playing on their 180 euro handheld.

I don't know if I'd like this though. Part of the immense appeal of the Switch was that there'd be one single device Nintendo could focus all their resources and attention on. Well, we'll see.

It still reads to me as "keep supporting 3DS until people stop buying 3DS".

Plus... is a new Fire Emblem really that big of a surprise, considering they have this really solid engine already that's proved to sell very well? /shrug

I'm also fine with that, but the Vita was a failure, so... Maybe hopefully not TOO much like the Vita!

A couple of new Switch trailers have emerged and they are extremely good in a deeply cringeworthy way:

This longer one has everything you could ask for: a Nintendo Switch theme song! A sinister voice whispering 'Switch!' in the background for no reason! A man falling into a swimming pool with a Joycon in hand and probably breaking it! And, for those who have fond memories of terrible video game advertising in the 90s: a guy ignoring his girlfriend because he's too busy playing with himself, and another guy playing Mario Kart on the toilet. It's very good/bad.

There's also a Superbowl commercial, which is a bit more concise and impactful. I'm curious to see what people will make of this one. To me it's a good example of why they didn't initially show off the motion controls at all - if I didn't already know what this is, I'd think the guy playing Zelda in bed and the people playing ARMS in the living room were playing with two different consoles.

Also based on this tweet it sounds like the price for Nintendonline is actually quite reasonable. It's "2-3,000 yen ($17.50 - $26.50) YEARLY", making it about half the price of Sony/Microsoft's ones I believe.

That's way more palateable to me, for the weird old multiplayer games and getting some online Splatoon and Mario Kart action.

All of the representations of ARMS are hilarious because it's going to be exactly the Thumbs bit from 2008 where the optimal and ultimately expected mode of play is going to be a person leaning deeply into the couch with a focused stare just barely twitching their arms to be as compact in their movement as possible.

Maybe! The idea is that, unlike most of the Wii Remote stuff, you actually course a curve with your arms to punch, which with Joycons should actually work. I fully expect not to be in any sort of situation from those clips though. And 1-2 Switch will be so easily forgotten! They're pushing that one so hard (just watch how much playtime it gets in the 4,5 minute video), but it reeks of the blandest tech demo.

I must say I do enjoy the visual style of ARMS. The character designs are funky and colorful in a good way.

I'm stoked I have friends who I know will enjoy 1-2 Switch and Arms with me. They both look like a lot of fun as party games, which is what I really really miss from the Wii days. For all the flak "waggle" gets, it's a great way to get a group of people having fun and laughing together. STOOOOOOOOOOOOOKED.

Well, I just changed my Yooka-Laylee download from Wii U to Switch, so I guess now I'll HAVE TO get one this year. Oh-no-what-can-you-do.

I agree with marginalgloss - those ads were by-the-numbers slick. I think they could do really well if commercial breaks are littered with tiny 3-second screens just with the Switch logo and the click, and then a full 30-second ad later. Whip up some 'What is Firewatch?'-style anticipation.

On a side note, what kind of world are we living in where I backed that turd Mighty No.9 DOUBLE the amount I backed Yooka-Laylee?! Should've known Trump would get in. I'm expecting my Mn.9 3DS code somewhen during his second term. :/

Are they really working on the Vita and 3DS versions still? I haven't heard anything about MN9 in a long time.

Still shame that I backed that project, what a waste of money and time.

I visited the Nintendo Switch press event in Amsterdam yesterday and got my hands on some Joy-Cons. And ate some veggie spring rolls in New Donk City, apparently. (I'm the guy in Luigi green.)

16681708_1888193108118960_22392182035315

Ahem. Some random thoughts.

Breath of the Wild is great and I spent most of it running around in my underpants (because I could), chopping down trees (because I could) and taunting mokoblins without a weapon and then cliff-jumping to my death (because I could). It felt very fresh. Finally, Zelda is breaking out of that super stale formula they've been slavishly adhering to since Ocarina of Time. Before, I was a bit worried that the environments might feel a little sparse and empty, but when you play, it works. There's a sense of magic, wonder and exploration surrounding this game, and if that doesn't sound like the orginal NES Zelda, then I don't know what does.

Snipperclips is just damn charming. Don't know if I'd want to get it for full price, but I had a lot of fun and I played it on the Switch screen itself. Which is neat. I hadn't really considered how nice it is to have a screen handy to put on a table. I thought I'd never use that mode, but now I'm not sure.

1-2-Switch is a mixed bag and I don't know how much appeal it'll have on the long term. But I will say this: the minigame where you guess how many marbles are rolling around in the controller is an amazing trick. The HD Rumble is genuinely impressive, it feels like magic. The same magic that I felt putting on the Playstation VR helmet. All the more impressive, perhaps, because it seems so simple. Your mind just cannot believe that there aren't in fact actual marbles in the Joycon. There aren't! It's a trick! But still you feel them there, right there!

Arms was fun, but to get any grasp on how deep this fighting game goes and how interesting/tactical it might be, I'd have to play a lot more. My first match was mainly a lot of flailing and punching in a boxing ring Nintendo built. Fun, but not nearly enough to say anything about it or the fidelity of the controls yet.

Splatoon 2: big fun. I actually bounced off Splatoon 1 hard a few years ago when I tried it. And the first few matches yesterday I was still figuring out how to control it, and it wasn't enjoyable. Felt like the other team was way overpowered. But then it suddenly clicked when I got a little more familiar with the controls and I tried out the Splat Roller. Turns out that was just the weapon for me: focusing my attention on the floor instead of all over the place, and encouraging ninja sneaking skills to whack your opponent. I'd been hoping for the game to make sense to me at some point, and now I can't wait to play more. Definitely looking forward to its arrival in a few months.

Finally, I was surprised by how different a game feels when you play it on the screen (possibly with a Pro Controller) versus when you switch it to handheld mode. Feels like two wildly separate experiences, and I think this is good. Some people and some games will prefer one over the other, and this means the Switch will provide a really diverse set of experiences. All in all, the hands-on time confirmed that the Switch plays great, has a lot of neat surprises and the games are solid. Exciting stuff!