dartmonkey

Modest Tech: The NX Generation (Nintendo Switch)

I've considered my strategy: I'll create two strike teams of apostles and gurus, backed up by missionaries for the actual conversion. Before attacking, I'll try to drain some of the Aztec's inquisitors by converting a satellite city they have on a faraway island and hope the AI will fall for the ruse. Then I'll convert the requisite handful of preselected cities I need to secure the religious victory.

It'll take some twenty turns to prepare, but I'm going to gamble on nothing dramatically shifting during that time. I'm playing on Prince, so it's not all that hard and the AI is barely aggressive.

I tried to do a domination victory with Macedonia, but after about 260 turns, and capturing all 6 capitals on the map it just didn't work for some reason. I don't know if I have to wait a certain amount of turns or something afterwards, but boy howdy did that feel like a waste of time.

I just finished Oxenfree the other day. It was a lot of fun, a nice change of pace from what I'd been playing, interesting characters. I did feel a bit lost a few times and didn't really understand how the island actually functioned as a tourist trap if your average Joe is expected to climb rock faces to get back to town from the woods, but never mind.

I can't help you with why your domination victory didn't work! This weekend I FINALLY got the religious victory I pursued, and it was a lot better than winning in Civ 5: you get a nice movie and Sean Bean telling you what a great job you did. That's fun. I totally owned the Aztec with my aforementioned strategy, though I have to confess I played at Prince and he didn't put up much of a fight in the end as I swarmed him with apostles and seized city after city.

I'll do domination next. Maybe you need to wait a few turns, or you missed a capital? I don't know Civ 6 well enough to say that it's a bug or the victory goes deeper than conquering capitals.

I looked it up and apparently you have to own the original capital of each Civ so maybe I just missed one. However, on the actual victory tracking screen it says I've got all 6 capitals.

I started a new game with Greece to try out a cultural victory. It's fun not having so many units to think about each turn like with the domination victory.

I have no idea how the cultural works. Something with tourism, and you have to have more foreign tourists in your nation than you have people going out - because holidays are bad for you? Don't know what the message is there.

For my next game (which might be some ways off, this already took me a month), I might go for a smaller map size with fewer civs, so that it ends faster than it did now. What's the most interesting map layout to play on, you find? Fractal? Islands?

Not to start another Pizza Tonight debacle, but...

(skip to 2:05)

When Toadette clears a level she is saying "He-heee! Who cares!", right?

Anyone try the new Yoshi Yarn Thing demo? I sure did, and it was fun! I know I shouldn't sound so surprised. I got the game demoed to me last year at a Nintendo event, but seeing it in action and playing it are quite different. There's an ineffable quality of fun to it, even in the first level. It's not at all challenging, but it has the same attraction factor as Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, where you're having a good time just solving the relatively easy riddles and puzzles. I might be picking this up, though probably not right away at full price. Though this could sway depending on the reviews.

Also, POKÉMON DIRECT TODAY, with most likely the gen 8 reveal. Let's see if it'll be a 'same old thing on the Let's Go Pikach/Eevee technical backbone' or something more ambitious this time around.

I didn't try the demo because I'm already 100% confident I'll enjoy the finished game. I also really want to see Yoshi's Woolly World ported from the Wii U. That game was great too.

For some reason I have been overcome by the desire to play Metroid Prime. I read something from a while back (a few months) about the MP Trilogy being already converted to HD and waiting in the wings for Nintendo to release it. The postponing of Metroid Prime 4 may have pushed this back, since they're aiming to drum up excitement for the new release. But I'd really like to have it now, now that I've got this craving for some first person Samus adventures.

Of course, I could boot up the original for the Gamecube, but I've since uncoupled and stored the Wii I used for playing old Cube games. And I want it in HD, damn it! I know I'm unreasonable, but if they have it lying around... just release it. The worst that can happen is that new people play these games and already get excited for 4, and Nintendo will make some money. Surely that's not a bad thing.

I replayed 1 and 2 about two years ago. Been wanting to do the same with 3 recently as well. I have the Wii U still hooked up, and the Prime Trilogy installed on it. I'll give Nintendo until E3. If they announce an HD remaster before then, I'll hold off and do it all at once. If they don't, I'm MP3 bound on my Wii U...

I heard a [VAGUE] rumor that Nintendo is doing a Direct in April and it may have news on the trilogy. Hopefully!

How did you like 2? I played it back when it came out, borrowing from a friend, and loved the atmosphere, but couldn't even progress beyond the (maybe?) second boss. it was too darn tootin' hard. For completeness' sake, I didn't down the end boss of Prime 1 either. Didn't really care though, the journey up to that point was all the reward I needed.

I want to say that Metroid Prime games are HARD AS NAILS, but then I've been surprised before upon replaying old games that turned out a lot easier than I remembered. Ocarina of Time for instance, and Majora's Mask. Those were in my head as pretty tough, but they weren't really. Maybe Prime'll be a walk in the park too, playing it now.

One of the early bosses in Metroid Prime 2 was extremely difficult for me because the room constantly dealt damage to you over time. I had to backtrack and find as many energy tanks as I could (I had 3 at the time; found 2 more by scouring the map), before I could beat the boss, and it was still close. No other boss in MP2 gave me that much trouble. Metroid Prime 3 had one difficult boss that I think I never actually beat; a friend beat it for me. It's been a long time since I played any of them, but I probably wouldn't buy them on Switch because I too still have my Wii U hooked up to my TV. A Metroid Prime 4 announcement would probably get me to replay at least the first one again (and then play MP3 anyway because that one is quite short, from memory).

I too bounced off MP2 when it first came out due to difficulty. I think I was like 14 at the time, for what it's worth. Going back as an adult in the Prime Trilogy, I got through the entire game with no issue. I'm also having a lot of the "games I thought were super hard when I was young are actually fine" experience as I go back to replay things. It's not like my ability to interact with a controller has changed much from age 16 to age 31, so I'm not sure exactly what happened there, but you're right that a lot of these things do turn out to be a lot easier than we had built up in our heads. I'd say that maybe beating them once flips something in our brains and makes us remember that it's achievable, but I didn't actually beat MP2 back in the day, so I don't really understand it either. Oh well. I loved playing through the game, regardless, and highly recommend doing so.

I think it boils down to having more experience in games as a medium/art form. You understand the cues and signals better. You read situations and bosses better. You're able to put yourself in the head of the developer and understand what challenge they were trying to put you through. You see the big picture, connect the dots better.

And I like that that's the case. It's not about physical skills, twitch-based skills, how many times you can click on a button per second. Instead, it's about experience and understanding.

I do find it really funny the way it colours how I talk to my students about games. For example, a kid got God of War for Christmas.

"Oh yeah, that was a good one. I sat down and powered through it last spring break. The Valkyries were pretty tough, but I had a fun time."

"You...   you BEAT it!?!?"

Rumors abound that there's gonna be a Direct somewhere this week, and with that hopefully the Metroid Prime Trilogy HD will be announced!

4 hours ago, Roderick said:

Rumors abound that there's gonna be a Direct somewhere this week, and with that hopefully the Metroid Prime Trilogy HD will be announced!

There have been numerous reports that Best Buy has a listing for Metroid Prime Trilogy for Switch in their database so maybe.  Those same reports also had Persona 5 and Link to the Past (with a note that there is a separate listing for the Link's Awakening remake).

Oh goodness, that would kill me. I only have two games for my (new!) Switch so far, and a Prime release would just, urgh.

Also hi! I have a Switch! I don't have the online pass yet, just trying to space out luxury spending things (as the Switch ate up any disposable I did have, and then my PC keyboard died). No idea how the friend stuff works yet.

The friend stuff uses archaic friend codes! And different games have different, confusing ways of grouping up to play with friends. Although one advantage of using friend codes is that people can change their names whenever they want, (cough cough playstation cough cough)

What games have you grabbed for the Switch so far?

To no one's surprise, Nintendo are releasing their E3 Direct on June 11th, 18:00 Dutch time (that's not a thing).

There had better be a Metroid Prime HD Trilogy in there, closely followed by '...and it's available tomorrow in stores and online!'

I've been considering getting a Switch as it's got the best of both worlds. I'm several years late, but still. Odyssey and BotW look amazing, and I'd be down to spend another insane amount of hours in Mario Kart. I honestly kind of regret not buying this thing at launch...

Getting a Switch on day one and going along for the ride with its releases (especially the amazing first year) has been one of my gaming highlights of the last ten years. Super fun. Have not been playing and gaming on it as much recently, waiting for that next must-play singleplayer experience.

Elder Scrolls Blades was announced for Switch on E3 yesterday! (Switchblades.) Kind of good, though I would've liked playing the game on my brand new Samsung tablet right now. Unfortunately, it doesn't support it for no clear reason.

That was a really good Direct imo

2 new characters in Smash

Direct sequel to BotW

Animal Crossing is doing something new and has 8 player multiplayer

Witcher 3???

Lots of old school classics getting remakes (Mana, Panzer Dragoon)

And quite a big variety of other games

No Bayonetta 3 or Shin Megami Tensei though (and no Metroid Prime 4 but nobody expected that to show up)

Well, the big disappoinment was of course no Metroid Prime HD trilogy, but apart from that... good show! Not everything looked as good (the Contra game and the Dark Crystal tie in both looked decidedly b-quality), but they showed ACTUAL GAMEPLAY of lots of games, had a great mix of sequels and new stuff, and about half of it were games I actually want to play.

Luigi's Mansion 3 looks fantastic. Animal Crossing will surely be fun. The BotW2 teaser promised gloomy stuff, though whether it'll be the insane Majora's Mask-type remix that we all want is unknown of course. Trials of Mana looked fine and I'm very excited for Astral Chain.