dartmonkey

Modest Tech: The NX Generation (Nintendo Switch)

I think it's funny that they continue to use friend codes.

I also think it's funny that it's such a big deal.

I've never cared either way, and they've improved the system since their inception. I know when I log in for the first time, it's going to suggest all the friends I've added across their various apps. If I don't have a connection yet, I get a screenshot or picture of the code via text or Slack or something and I'm in business.

Basically:

"So I gave someone else my Friend Code and had them send a request over. Once you receive the request, you get a notification with their Username and Icon. You then have the option to Become Friends, Decline Request, or Block. If you Become Friends, the connection is done. It doesn't look like you both have to trade codes."

1 minute ago, Twig said:

I also think it's funny that it's such a big deal.

My sentiments exactly.

I understand why some people react to them the way they do, but they have never really bothered me.

Also, iirc, there aren't any games with online functionality at launch. I would say that it is pretty likely that by the time that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is released they will have a more modern system in place.

Just now, notanimal said:

I would say that it is pretty likely that by the time that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is released they will have a more modern system in place.

I don't think I agree with this, haha. But... maybe!

1 minute ago, Twig said:

I don't think I agree with this, haha. But... maybe!

The only reason I say so is because Reggie said in an interview in January that they wouldn't be doing friend codes: https://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-switch-reggie-fils-aime-3ds-tablet-launch/

The Mario Kart 8 Deluxe part was speculation on my part though. He may also be referring to the other systems that are already in place, like being able to add friends on the same local network.

Huh, that's interesting.

That said, I don't think Reggie has any say in the matter, and probably often has incomplete information. :P

54 minutes ago, notanimal said:

My sentiments exactly.

I understand why some people react to them the way they do, but they have never really bothered me.

Also, iirc, there aren't any games with online functionality at launch. I would say that it is pretty likely that by the time that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is released they will have a more modern system in place.

I can guarantee with the certainty of time itself that they absolutely will not.

I would be willing to make a friendly wager on this. I am very confident.

26 minutes ago, Badfinger said:

I would be willing to make a friendly wager on this. I am very confident.

Polygon just posted an article saying that in the future you will be able to add friends through social networks and by entering their Nintendo Network ID: http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/2/14792066/nintendo-switch-friend-code-response. I don't know if that lives up to the standards of others, but that sounds pretty modern to me. 

It doesn't say anything about the timing though. Like I said before, the MK8D part was speculation, and I don't think I'm confident enough to put money on the line :P

Had to be done. What day one accessories are people getting? Screen protector only for me - anything else would require selling an organ.

literally no accessories

i need none of them

13 minutes ago, dartmonkey said:

Had to be done. What day one accessories are people getting? Screen protector only for me - anything else would require selling an organ.

I bought this case for traveling with the console, and this little stand, since I forsee myself wanting to play it portably while also charging the device. Both haven't been released yet, but I expect to get them early next week. 

4 hours ago, dartmonkey said:

Same. Not interested in paying the early adopter tax on the other stuff.

My local Gamestop already has 6-8 people camping for the launch tonight. I wonder if I'll have any chance of being able to walk in and pick one up.

My Switch was waiting when I arrived at work this morning! So far (not having played any games) it's really slick. The interface is responsive, almost minimalist, and system updates and eShop downloads are quick. I'm happy with the size and weight too; from comparison shots it looked only slightly bigger than a modern smartphone, but it's definitely noticeably bigger and has a pleasing heft.

The only accessory I have so far is a 200G SDXC card, since I'm planning to go digital-only (the convenience of not carrying around game cards trumps the extra cost, for me). I'll probably pick up a pro controller, and maybe a soft case. I'm used to carrying my 3DS everywhere in a pocket of my messenger bag, but with Joy-Con attached the Switch is too long for that and doesn't have the clamshell protecting the screen.

Excited for Zelda tonight!

Sony's tactics are interesting. They told all European retailers to lower the price of PS4 Slim 500GB to 199€ today, because of Nintendo Switch release.

Now that I think of it, Horizon was postponed and release date given after Zelda had a set release date of 3rd March. Horizon got finally a release date a few days earlier to Zelda.

The thing that is interesting though is that Nintendo has always sucked with sales in Europe and Sony has ruled the market here for 20 years. They are willing to take losses to beat Switch's release down even though Europe is also the most expensive place for Switch.

Best Buy's website changed the ship date on my Switch from "as early as the 31st" to "as early as the 3rd"! I don't care that I won't have it on launch day. For me, the deadline is March 23rd, at which point I will have a full week off work for Spring Break. I intend to spend it completely lost in Hyrule.

I got mine early and here are my thoughts so far: I wish it had a real D-Pad but it seems fine. Oh and the screen's real nice.

49 minutes ago, dartmonkey said:

It's so small! And these 'neon' colours please me.

People who aren't calling it a portable need to see for themselves how small it is.

I had noticed Sony putting out really slick deals on a PS4 Slim + Horizon for the Switch launch price or lower. Hey, all the more power to people who want a PS4.

Alright, my Switch is IN and I'm currently downloading Zelda, which is taking literally hours. Prolly my connection though. The Switch looks really slick, but I have to get used to how tiny and fragile things feel. Removing Joycons is something that feels dangerous, even, in a way. Nintendo used to be all about indestructible machines, but this feels like it might snap and pop at the wrong handling. Could be just a feeling of course.

It isn't helped by noticing, and I put this question to all of you, that my left (blue) joycon seems ever so slightly wobbly when attached to the Switch itself. Not in any gross way, but it definitely feels a little less snug than the red Joycon. Moving it back and forth, I just about feel that there's a little room to wobble it around. Anyone else experience this?

For nearly 4 hours this morning, I am that guy on the plane (train actually) from the promo video.

I am the Switch wanker. Bow before me.

Seriously, it's pretty great so far. I lied when I said I was only getting a screen protector - I got the official case thing that came with a protector too. I'd recommend it. It's understated, carries a few carts and acts as a stand too. A much better angle than the kickstand. I've even managed to balance the Switch on the power cable, on the stand. If that makes sense. There's enough grip on the back to keep it upright unless the train's shaking.

Also, I'm finding the joycon grip invaluable. Pokemon Go gave me a serious case of dodgy thumb which I've hadn't for a few months. Using the grip is far more comfortable than going commando.

So I found a neon console on Amazon Prime Now this morning, so now I have a switch. Was not prepared for how small the JoyCons are. 

This is a neat piece of tech for sure but there's so many points of failure on this thing that it has the potential to be a Red Ring Of Death level disaster. Between the left joycon issue, the people reporting scratching on the screen when using the dock, the way the joycons attach to the tablet having about six different ways it could fail, this thing could turn out to be a real nightmare. Or if could be fine. Who knows.

3 hours ago, Vulpes Absurda said:

This is a neat piece of tech for sure but there's so many points of failure on this thing that it has the potential to be a Red Ring Of Death level disaster. Between the left joycon issue, the people reporting scratching on the screen when using the dock, the way the joycons attach to the tablet having about six different ways it could fail, this thing could turn out to be a real nightmare. Or if could be fine. Who knows.

The finger-snap that the system plays in software is terrible for this because it fires separately from and masks the physical click that tells you when a joycon is actually properly attached. I was playing in handheld mode on my couch yesterday when the left joycon started slipping off, because five minutes earlier I'd reattached it but only heard the software sound. I don't think it's that big a deal, but I'm going to be sure to jam them on very firmly from now on.

(So many things these days get this basic bit of interface design wrong. Don't give me feedback about my input if you haven't really registered it! Elevators and swipe card systems are the worst.)