mikemariano

Fallout 4 — Boston Makes Me Feel Good

I just moved the majority of my items to the Drive-In since it's become the place that I've done the most building at, and it doesn't seem as glitchy as Sanctuary, but now I found another building area that's pretty large with a few prefab structures, but with plenty of room to grow, so I might move again. Plus, it's got Mr. Goodfeels.

Yeah I had all the requirements but the settlement that's stuck in question is Sanctuary so I'll probably do what you did.

In fact I'll probably start a new character now.

I maxed out muscle and my character ended up just looking weird...

I've mostly been playing the main story since I heard that the game lets you keep going after the credits roll. I figured that what my character would do would be to pursue the main plot until the end, then worry about factions and other things like that. Now that I've actually made it to the end, though, I don't know if I feel much like building up settlements because 

My character is now the director of The Institute and that place looks way nicer than anything I could build above ground.

I still want to see some more of the side quests that I haven't wrapped up yet (I overheard someone talking about the Museum of Witchcraft in Diamond City, which sounds pretty awesome), but I just don't know if I care too much about settlement building or crafting.

I realized that a significant portion of my daily Fallout 4 time is spent in the inventory, and I'm quite close to increasing the carrying capacity of my character with a console command at this point. I was able to deal with the inventory management in Fallout 3 and Skyrim quite alright, but this time I'm really struggling with the stuff due to the heavy focus on weapon and armor modifications.

I figure that if I can quick-travel to my base, dump all the junk and quick-travel back to gather the rest of the precious junk, I might as well skip the time-consuming part and go for a bigger inventory instead. I know that I could also invest heavily in Strength and Strong Back, but I'd much rather spend my hard-earned skill point on something that makes the game more fun, and not just less of a chore.

I realized that a significant portion of my daily Fallout 4 time is spent in the inventory, and I'm quite close to increasing the carrying capacity of my character with a console command at this point. I was able to deal with the inventory management in Fallout 3 and Skyrim quite alright, but this time I'm really struggling with the stuff due to the heavy focus on weapon and armor modifications.

I figure that if I can quick-travel to my base, dump all the junk and quick-travel back to gather the rest of the precious junk, I might as well skip the time-consuming part and go for a bigger inventory instead. I know that I could also invest heavily in Strength and Strong Back, but I'd much rather spend my hard-earned skill point on something that makes the game more fun, and not just less of a chore.

I usually reach a point in Bethesda games where I say fuck it, give myself 9,000,000 caps and stop dealing with the economy. They really need to add a pet/companion that sells items like torchlight.

I'm still okay with the economy, because it prevents me from buying overpowered equipment before I'm "meant to". Selling stuff is a chore, though, so yeah, a Torchlight-style salesdog would be awesome.

I've got seven sets of power armor stored at The Castle. I built a two story docking bay for them.

In fun bug news, I encountered the "teleportation scope" bug I read about earlier today. I went to sight an enemy with my recon scope when everything went white and the loading icon appeared in the corner. After a little bit of loading a was dumped into the world about 5 minutes walk northwest of my original position.

Also, I fast traveled to Lexington to find that I was dropped into the exact same spot as a super mutant behemoth. I was dead before I could finish shouting "what the fuck".

I've got seven sets of power armor stored at The Castle. I built a two story docking bay for them.

In fun bug news, I encountered the "teleportation scope" bug I read about earlier today. I went to sight an enemy with my recon scope when everything went white and the loading icon appeared in the corner. After a little bit of loading a was dumped into the world about 5 minutes walk northwest of my original position.

Also, I fast traveled to Lexington to find that I was dropped into the exact same spot as a super mutant behemoth. I was dead before I could finish shouting "what the fuck".

The teleportation scope bug is funny when you are inside, you move like 10 feet.

Same thing has happened to me twice with Behemoths, but I have a fully upgraded Gauss Rifle so they die quick.

I'm still okay with the economy, because it prevents me from buying overpowered equipment before I'm "meant to". Selling stuff is a chore, though, so yeah, a Torchlight-style salesdog would be awesome.

Yeah, I'm dying for that but my wife just told me that there is a perk in the Strength tree that lets you fast travel while over-encumbered. So, I'm definitely aiming for that as soon as possible in lieu of such a Torchlight option.

I assumed that, as with the Witcher 3, any "crafting components" (junk, then) would be weighless. Obviously, I thought wrongly. Seems to me it just creates a load of busywork for the player having to store things/combine things to lessen the load.

I had a strange thing the first time I played Fallout 3, where I'd pick up scrap metal whenever I found it. I assumed it would come in handy at some point, and it was quite weighty (I typically equate weight with quality in RL), so I very rapidly became encumbered and just had to chuck it all. You couldn't do fuck all with it anyway.

Yeah, I'm dying for that but my wife just told me that there is a perk in the Strength tree that lets you fast travel while over-encumbered. So, I'm definitely aiming for that as soon as possible in lieu of such a Torchlight option.

It would make a good mechanic to be able to load up your power armor and send it off to go sell all your junk while you keep booking it on foot.  Would allow selling on the fly, but also introduce a risk mechanic to it. 

It would make a good mechanic to be able to load up your power armor and send it off to go sell all your junk while you keep booking it on foot.  Would allow selling on the fly, but also introduce a risk mechanic to it. 

Or prices aren't as good, because dogs can't haggle. 

4th tier in Strong Back, which requires Strength 6 and level 30. I've spent 6 hard earned perk points to get as far as the second tier, and now I'm kinda regretting my decision. I really just need to let the collector go. Or at least stop picking up weapons and only pick up crafting stuff. I dunno.

Glue uber alles.

You can set up a farm with mutfruit, corn, and tatos and have a water purification thingy set up to provide you with purified water. Those craft (at a cooking station) into vegetable paste which breaks down into adhesive.

There is some other thing you can craft at a chemical station which breaks down into oil, but the components of that are not grown/renewable (one of them is bone I believe).

Waiting for the mod that lets me harvest bones from the very plentiful and natural resource that I encounter in every dungeon. Until then bones can most commonly be found in those gross blood bags that the supermutants mark their territory with.

Maybe the nukes did something to everyones bones to make them unsuited for crafting and thats the fluff? The same thing that makes skeletons retain their shape and stay attatched dispute having no muscle or tendons to connect them.

Armor update!

I found a dead Brotherhood Knight with a full T-60 armor set. It has a unique BoS paint job!

post-8476-0-07182300-1447999210_thumb.png

I've found enough pieces to make another full raider set, a slightly-mismatched set, and a couple hodgepodge frames without right leg pieces.

post-8476-0-66477400-1447999203_thumb.png

I also still have a few odd torso and leg pieces that I don't have frames for yet.

I really need to find the Fallout alternative universe equivalent of a Torx set. I feel like devices should have more screws than I am able to get by scrapping them.

I've only been able to play a few hours the last few days and have gotten 5 frames with various bits on them. It's a combination of being in a new area that has a ton of them, and also hitting a weird point where suddenly raiders are in power armor all the time.

The level design of the downtown city area around Goodneighbor is really interesting. Going up those destroyed viaducts while raiders take pot shots at you from near by rooftops.

I'm approaching this game from a very casual exploration and adventure game point of view, doing just enough combat to squeeze through. I've begun footballing through areas like a Dark Souls item run. I think I'm even on easy mode, since the The Castle mission. Limited combat will keep my XP pretty low though, huh?

So I don't think I'm too far in but I have some questions about the main story from beyond Goodneighbour.

I was under the impression that there's one story quest to follow, and that was the one with doing the memory stuff in Goodneighbour and then going to the Glowing Sea. But I've also got the Brotherhood quests which they say are all about taking on the Institute, and I've got one or two other quests that would appear to be about them as well. Is this the faction stuff coming into play? Will all of these lead to the endgame or am I totally mixing up sidequests with the main quest just because they mention the Institute?

So I don't think I'm too far in but I have some questions about the main story from beyond Goodneighbour.

I was under the impression that there's one story quest to follow, and that was the one with doing the memory stuff in Goodneighbour and then going to the Glowing Sea. But I've also got the Brotherhood quests which they say are all about taking on the Institute, and I've got one or two other quests that would appear to be about them as well. Is this the faction stuff coming into play? Will all of these lead to the endgame or am I totally mixing up sidequests with the main quest just because they mention the Institute?

There are several story choke points essentially, so new side quests become available as you progress the main story, but there is only one main advancement path. I am probably 2-3 missions from the end at this point and things are funneling down to a conclusion.

There are several story choke points essentially, so new side quests become available as you progress the main story, but there is only one main advancement path. I am probably 2-3 missions from the end at this point and things are funneling down to a conclusion.

Oh, okay, so I'll follow these other quests and they'll eventually funnel back together? That's cool, thanks.

The level design of the downtown city area around Goodneighbor is really interesting. Going up those destroyed viaducts while raiders take pot shots at you from near by rooftops.

I'm approaching this game from a very casual exploration and adventure game point of view, doing just enough combat to squeeze through. I've begun footballing through areas like a Dark Souls item run. I think I'm even on easy mode, since the The Castle mission. Limited combat will keep my XP pretty low though, huh?

You can get quite a bit of xp from tinkering and building. Less combat might make it harder to acquire things, but if you have acquired them you're still going to be ok I think.