mikemariano

Fallout 4 — Boston Makes Me Feel Good

The base building stuff (to me) feels like it's really intended to be the end game. There's really no benefit that I've seen to build out your settlements, and it uses up a ton of resources, but once you've finished the story and maxed your gear out, you can spend 1000+ more hours building out all your settlements and you'll have a reason to go searching for more junk.

edit: This also kinda might explain why it isn't tutorialized well; if the people who are expected to engage with it are the dedicated fans who've finished the game and want more, it's safe to assume they'll be cool with googling or spending a few hours figuring out how those systems work.

Anyway, this is probably my fav of the new songs. Kinda disappointed with how much of the old stuff they reused, but there are some gems. I think the DJ even makes some comment about not liking 'Personality' which makes sense 'cause that song is lame. (edit! on the radio, the DJ says, verbatim, "I don't think this song is all that great")

I saw/heard a couple of reviews that basically said skip the weapon and armor crafting because it's not worth it...

Those people are crazy, weapon upgrades are the best fucking part of this game. Give me every adhesive.

The base building stuff (to me) feels like it's really intended to be the end game. There's really no benefit that I've seen to build out your settlements, and it uses up a ton of resources, but once you've finished the story and maxed your gear out, you can spend 1000+ more hours building out all your settlements and you'll have a reason to go searching for more junk.

edit: This also kinda might explain why it isn't tutorialized well; if the people who are expected to engage with it are the dedicated fans who've finished the game and want more, it's safe to assume they'll be cool with googling or spending a few hours figuring out how those systems work.

I love it. I really wanted Skyrim to have more of that aspect. I felt so disconnected from the characters in that game. The base building stuff kind of puts them under your care. It provides an ultimate context to all of your actions in the game, making them more meaningful. Although, I'm waiting to see if it ends up being more of a tower defense game or "the sims."

All I've really managed to make so far is four metal walls with a door frame and some stairs leading to nowhere.

Feels like there should be a separate specific camera mode as well.

EDIT: Another pathetic/minor aesthetic quibble I have is that you don't holster your weapon it just pops in and out of your hand

Base building is kind of annoying. Fencing your base takes quite some time, and the snapping logic isn't that great. Why can't it simply snap, and then let me freely turn it around the snapped point. It's almost just as annoying as GTAV's building thingy.

WRT the Fallout setting, I've always thought of it as a representation of the brightest hopes and worst fears of 1950s America's vision of the future. On one hand, nuclear power was supposed to revolutionise life and make science fiction a reality. You'd have nuclear powered cars and robot servants in every home, but all that optimism about the American Dream in the 50's came with the caveat that at any moment it could be instantly destroyed. The Fallout setting is about both of those things coming true.

The brutal devastation of the optimism and visions of the future of the 50s is definitely a fascinating setting, and I enjoy exploring the remnants of the American dream a lot. However, as has been said already, the timeline and especially the technology do not really stand up to scrutiny. At all. I don't mind. It is a cool weird world.

I enjoy my time exploring the wasteland a lot. This is not the case with the large indoor areas such as the Corvega Assembly Plant. It took me a long time to clear the place of raiders and then going through each body, locker, and safe. The area was plain and dull, and while the gunplay has improved from Fallout 3, it is still quite mediocre. What portion of the story missions are set in these kind of large indoor environments?

My wife who is a very casual gamer but has thoroughly enjoyed both F4 and MGS5 has somehow managed to discover and exploit a duping glitch.

Well I hit my first major bug. Every time I try to walk into a certain area on the map the game just crashes straight to desktop. I don't think it's a major area but still I think I might just wait for a patch. Maybe play around with another character or something.

I saw/heard a couple of reviews that basically said skip the weapon and armor crafting because it's not worth it...

Those people are crazy, weapon upgrades are the best fucking part of this game. Give me every adhesive.

I found a shitty pipe pistol with the legendary quality that gives it VATS bonuses. After a few sessions of upgrading, it's now my go-to sidearm. Chambered for .50 cal, a suppressor, and a longer barrel means that I can kill most enemies in one hit as long as I'm stealthed.

Getting power armor so early was a pleasant surprise, but I'm even more surprised at how easy it is to find more. Aside from a few vendors I've seen that sell bare frames, I've found seven more partial sets while scavenging, and enough to complete four different models:

post-8476-0-23015500-1447652986_thumb.png

Yep, I'm barely 10 hours into the game and I just got my second set. I'm not even looking for those things, they just show up

I've been unlucky with my legendaries up to now - one melee weapon that I'll never use, a laser musket (fuck those) and a laser rifle that might become my go-to weapon if I can find enough fusion cells.

I found a shitty pipe pistol with the legendary quality that gives it VATS bonuses. After a few sessions of upgrading, it's now my go-to sidearm. Chambered for .50 cal, a suppressor, and a longer barrel means that I can kill most enemies in one hit as long as I'm stealthed.

Getting power armor so early was a pleasant surprise, but I'm even more surprised at how easy it is to find more. Aside from a few vendors I've seen that sell bare frames, I've found seven more partial sets while scavenging, and enough to complete four different models:

attachicon.gif377160_2015-11-15_00019.png

How do you get it to be red?

How do you get it to be red?

I found a hot rod magazine somewhere that unlocked it as a paint option. A fully painted set gives the suit +1 Agility!

I had one set of power armor just show up when a skull-laden legendary raider suddenly emerged from a raider compound I was attacking to try to beat me down with a baseball bat. Horrifying.

Yep, I'm barely 10 hours into the game and I just got my second set. I'm not even looking for those things, they just show up

I've been unlucky with my legendaries up to now - one melee weapon that I'll never use, a laser musket (fuck those) and a laser rifle that might become my go-to weapon if I can find enough fusion cells.

You will find enough fusion cells.

Anyone else who's progressing through the game... does it feel like certain enemies are scaling to your level by the weaponry they are carrying? It feels like a bunch of enemies should have cruddy pipe pistols but have combat rifles. It could just be the geography dictates the armament.

To anyone who does not know about the Local Leader perk- With 6 charisma you can take local leader. Rank 1 lets you set up supply caravans between your bases. What that means is that ALL your materials are available at all the locations you have connected with a supply chain. Instead of having 12 cloth I scrounged to make beds with, I have 700. It allows you to build up settlements quickly rather than piecemeal, and is a godsend. If you care about building up your settlements, this is a really important perk to consider.

I cannot BELIEVE how dense Boston is. If you have the map zoomed out, a lot of the time the location markers get all smushed together because there's one every block. It is not a desolate wasteland like I expected after wandering around outside the city limits. It's a huge, living jungle.

Fallout you're actually creeping up on Witcher 3 for games I love the most this year.

Story time:

In Sanctuary, I was just hanging around, building stuff. I noticed that a Brahmin was stuck in a room in a house. I was confused by this. I decided to punch it to see if I could dislodge it somehow. The other NPCs in Sanctuary took this as me having a problem with the Brahmin, and Sturges starts shooting at it from the street.

But then Nick Valentine HATES that I punched the cow, and leaves my party. Then he climbs into a suit of power-armor and starts trying to kill me, or an NPC, or I don't even know. But before I know it all my settlers are trying to stop Nick Valentine, who has turned into the terminator. Dude's running around angry in a suit full of power armor and it's actually pretty terrifying because you can't kill him.

Piper has started picking up and using weapons she finds. Recently she almost killed me when she pulled a FatBoy of of nowhere and killed a super mutant very close to me. I think we were getting along!

Interesting, I've only found one half completed suit and one frame for sale after 40 hours. You and one of my buddies online are drowning in that stuff. I wonder if I'm just not eagle-eyed, or haven't been choosing the right sites to loot.

Interesting, I've only found one half completed suit and one frame for sale after 40 hours. You and one of my buddies online are drowning in that stuff. I wonder if I'm just not eagle-eyed, or haven't been choosing the right sites to loot.

I'm also about 40 hours in, and only have the starting suit plus a couple random pieces I got off a raider, so it's not just you. 

I'm also about 40 hours in, and only have the starting suit plus a couple random pieces I got off a raider, so it's not just you. 

I recently found the best suit and have it fully upgraded. I should probably actually use it sometime.

Piper has started picking up and using weapons she finds. Recently she almost killed me when she pulled a FatBoy of of nowhere and killed a super mutant very close to me. I think we were getting along!

Haha, that's amazing. 

Haha, that's amazing. 

Its kind of weird like 99% of the time she just uses her pistol, but once in a while another gun just appears in her hands. She feels like the best follower in terms of approving of my gameplay style and dialog.

I've found them in various obvious and not-so-obvious places. I've found a couple frames that look like they were mid-transport (on a truck or in a crate). I straight-up stole one from a group of raiders by sneaking up to it and getting in (and then killing all the raiders). I found that complete raider suit standing unused in a corner after cleaning out another raider encampment. The others have been locked in armories or maintenance shops in military bases.

I have 3 suits after 30ish hours. The starter suit, one that I just found wandering around the wilderness (fast travel is now less necessary with supply lines!), and one in a military place where it makes sense there would be a suit of power armor.

I also did a cool quest that gave me an amazing piece of gear for power armor. The game just won't stop happening.