mikemariano

Fallout 4 — Boston Makes Me Feel Good

Bethesda Game Studios wants us to please stand by as they announce something at the URL fallout.bethsoft.com!  In 22 hours!

post-8337-0-17007400-1433259834_thumb.jpg

Fallout 4?  That would be fun!  Fallout 4 on what's basically the same engine as the last decade-plus?  That still might be fun!  Something that isn't actually Fallout 4 at all?  Sure, why not?

As long as it means more bobbleheads I am happy.

Someone on Twitter said that fallout4.com is live, though it seems to be broken right now. At this point, I'd probably even take an HD remake of 3 and/or New Vegas. I can't get enough out of those games.

I wouldn't *mind* an remaster, but I'm jonesing for a new Fallout game. Maybe the rumors about a Boston setting will end up being true?

It would be excellent/the worst if it was just a film announcement.

But yeah, I'm really looking forward to jumping back into the wasteland sometime soon.

I'm not really sure what I want out of a Fallout game.  Assuming this is 4, I'll probably play it, but I may have to take a different approach.  The Bethesda games are just too sprawling for my tastes, but they have things in them I really want to experience. 

I always get excited for open world shooters since they are the only ones that do sniping correctly. I hope it isn't an HD remake of games that came out less than 10 years ago, but i don't think Bethesda has done any makeovers yet? As long as there is a big new world full of things for me to shoot and fun storylines to explore I will be happy.

I could kill for a Fallout 4 that goes back to the original greatness that was Fallout 1&2, but since Bethesda is behind this one still, let me guess that it will be... a fps game.

Good that we anyway have Wasteland 2, so I'll get my fix from that.

Will Ron Perlman's voice make a return in the teaser tomorrow? I sure hope so.

I heard a rumor that it's set in Poopwater, New Mexico.

I think Interplay was publishing it, until they lost the rights after that legal battle. So that project was cancelled. Zenimax/Bethesda now have the rights for a Fallout MMO, but I don't know if they're doing anything with it.

Whatever happened to that Fallout MMO?  Did that die completely, never to return?  Could they bring that back somehow?

I hope not, I am already worried about what ESO means for the next elder scrolls game. I don't want to lose Fallout to WoW clone disease.

Wasn't the big rumor last time F4 got hyped was that it takes place in and around Boston?

Aww yis. 

Fallout 3 was one of my favourite games of last gen. This is going to be good. 

That is a damn fine trailer. I'm excited to see if this means we're finally getting a technically competent Bethesda game. It should at least work better on consoles, I imagine, though I'll be playing on PC. Exciting to see Fallout back in action, it's been a while. 

There is absolutely nothing in that teaser that isn't a retread of Fallout 3, including the same tone-deaf use of pre-War Americana.

Still might be good!  But I'm worried Bethesda thinks that Fallout never changes.

There is absolutely nothing in that teaser that isn't a retread of Fallout 3, including the same tone-deaf use of pre-War Americana.

Still might be good!  But I'm worried Bethesda thinks that Fallout never changes.

I mean, is it really tone deaf? It's sort of just a caricature of that time period, not really meant to be some social statement. 

I mean, is it really tone deaf? It's sort of just a caricature of that time period, not really meant to be some social statement. 

All the fallout games have that, the pre-war setting was pretty much 1950s culture with robots and lasers, that will never change unless they set the game in a different country (which would rock). 

Look at all those non-brown colors!!!!!!!!!!!

Canon protagonists in shooters...

Canon protagonists in shooters never changes...

This is exactly how I felt. It didn't show anything that we don't already know about Fallout in general, and there wasn't actually any exposition on what this game specifically is about. Personally I've never felt that the dog is a defining element of Fallout, and having this whole pre-war prologue stuff feels about as necessary as explaining Batman's origin story again. This is all old ground.

Canon protagonists in shooters...

Canon protagonists in shooters never changes...

I was hoping the default lead would be a female ghoul. I want a ghoul character option so much!

This is exactly how I felt. It didn't show anything that we don't already know about Fallout in general, and there wasn't actually any exposition on what this game specifically is about. Personally I've never felt that the dog is a defining element of Fallout, and having this whole pre-war prologue stuff feels about as necessary as explaining Batman's origin story again. This is all old ground.

Well we know its in Boston, that is something. I agree about the lack of story teasers, but if you look at the FO3 and NV trailers they dont touch on story in the first one. At least we got ingame footage which is more than many games do.

As someone who grew up in Massachusetts and had to go on the Freedom Trail tour more times than I can count as part of history class, I still find it hilarious that the only Boston landmark I ever recognize is the Statehouse.

As someone who grew up in Massachusetts and had to go on the Freedom Trail tour more times than I can count as part of history class, I still find it hilarious that the only Boston landmark I ever recognize is the Statehouse.

I saw a Paul Revere looking statue in there which I assume is real?