Jake

Idle Thumbs 177: The Good Ones

It seems like Early Access was removed from the Steam storefront with the new update (made optional I guess, but it's not on the front page by default). I wonder how people feel about that. It wasn't really servicing my needs so I'm fine with it, in general. A few too many games kinda fizzled out in an unsatisfying way.

I think that since informed enthusiasts were really the only ones that understood what Early Access could result in and entails, Valve figured enthusiasts would be the ones to know how to seek out Early Access content if they desire. I think the more general consumer wouldn't be as informed about the possible problems, so they don't need it shoved in their face.

I mean, maybe? That's not really my view on why, it's just a super lame guess with a bunch of generalizations.

DocRandal, on 29 Sept 2014 - 11:16, said:

The Sunless Sea Map is procedurally generated and will change with each game. My Mt. Palmerston ended up being in the north of the mid-map areas. If (who am I kidding, *when*) you die you are given the option of giving your heir your map which keeps everything where it was.

I was a backer of the Sunless Sea Kickstarter (anyone want a Parabolan Kitten in Fallen London, just ask) and am pleased with the way it's been coming along. It is still unfinished in places. I've pretty much decided to wait until the game is finished before playing, but there's plenty of content out there now.

Extensive reading after posting showed me that they started randomizing the tiles on the map, but left the unfinished ones in the rotation so you could go right outside London and find an unfinished section with no islands at all, and then all the useful stuff further out. Furthermore, they didn't change up any of the missions, so something that says it's right outside home waters could be across the map now and there's no way to drop the mission and get another. Finally, I chose to pass my map on after I died, but then I never got any secrets on my second play because you don't get points for discovering anything that's already on your map.

It looks like I just joined at a really bad time. Since the randomization is fairly fresh, a lot of the information out there in forums and wikis about the locations of things are all wrong. People are passing around older non-randomized saves because the developer has refused to add a randomize y/n check. I guess that's the danger of early access.

As someone on level 2129 2134 of Desert Golfing, did Chris get round to mentioning why he deleted it?

I don't believe they ever got back to Desert Golfing, but I really wanted to hear too.

re: japanese i die games, in addition to the seminal cave story by pixel, there is also the stuff by ABA games/Kenta Cho whose earlier stuff, especially, should be of interest to bullet hell shmup fans.

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/games/

rrootage, in particular, is super good

Kenta Cho's games were kind of my first exposure to modern indie development, outside of old freeware and shareware stuff (although I guess maybe Pixelships came first. Remember Pixelships?). rRootage and Noiz2sa I remember being particularly good, and Tumiki Fighters was a lot of fun, if flawed. Seems like he's still making about 4 games a month, which is awesome! Other Japanese indie devs from around that period include Omega, who made Every Extend (Later picked up by Q Entertainment), and Hikoza, who made the fantastic Warning Forever. His site seems to be broken, for some reason. Oh, and then there was Ikiki, who made Nikujin. Again, his site seems to have gone down. Can anyone think of any others I might be forgetting?

Who is it that keeps rating the episode threads?

And why is it that only this and the 3MA board have topic ratings?

Who is it that keeps rating the episode threads?

It's probably Sean. He has to assign a numerical value after he asserts that the podcast is going to be a good one.

Regarding multiplayer fighting games with dynamic terrain and hazards, there's a better analog than Smash Bros.

Poor forgotten Powerstone....

It's probably Sean. He has to assign a numerical value after he asserts that the podcast is going to be a good one.

Actually, the ratings are all really high, so it could be Danielle. I saw a jpeg about how she's friends with the Thumbs.

Can you share what bars in San Francisco that have that pacman game were mentioned? I'd like to play it too

But they make that wonderful Nesquik!

Just kidding it's terrible and I am an Ovaltine man!

I was coming here to comment on both Power Stone 2 and Kung Fu Chaos.

They were both awesome. Kung Fu Chaos is never likely to see a sequel because now all the devs make things like Hell Blade and Enslaved.

I was coming here to comment on both Power Stone 2 and Kung Fu Chaos.

They were both awesome. Kung Fu Chaos is never likely to see a sequel because now all the devs make things like Hell Blade and Enslaved.

Kung Fu Chaos was actually one of my favorite games on the original Xbox, but it's developed a reputation (a probably deserved reputation) as being one of the more racist games made. Which at the time didn't stand out to me, because I was so used to the typical way Chinese characters are scripted and presented in almost any game, but in pretty much every discussion I've seen on racist games in the last few years, it is always one that gets brought up.

Played it again recently. Yeah, I can see that. It is mainly the film director though and the rest comes off as affectionate parody.