tegan

I Had a Random Thought (About Video Games)

How would you feel about a model like this?

Strategy game with 3 sub-factions where you get 1 faction free, get others at about $6 each.  So that would be a start but say after a year or so it could feature up to like, 10 factions or so.

Also it would be a single player game (more civ lite than starcraft).

having all the characters available in a game like that is extremely important!

Not really, if you play for fun there's only a subset required, same to be competitive.

Their rune system on the other hand, woof.

Random though: I was watching some games done quick videos and stumbled upon a Bomberman Hero race and it reminded me about it's awesome but pretty bizzare soundtrack. It's mostly drum and bass tracks and it's pretty darn good ( I love drum and bass!). And it got me thinking about other games that has dnb (drum and bass) tracks in it. The only one I could think of is System Shock 2 and that ios(?) game that Spaff once talked about on idle thumbs. I would be interested if anyone knew more games with "good" dnb tracks in it, just a random though! And it's pretty weird that almost every track in the game is drum and bass.

Also everyone has to check out what bomberman says when he beats a level in the English ver, it's pretty hilarious! Even as a kid it was hilarious!

I did it!?

I think there's a DNB bit in Far Cry 3, when the player burns up some pensioners' allotment

Edit: Cheers Merus and Griddle, you're echoing what I'm reading on Steam and elsewhere. Think Apotheon sounds like the one for me.

I think some of the Devil May Cry series could have DnB in it. At the least it's always had a bit of a Hard Industrial skew along with it's metaley sound track (usually mixed together). I know for sure one of the boss battles has dubstep in it but heh people can be pretty divided over their dance music.

other games that has dnb (drum and bass) tracks in it.

Also quick googling reminded me of:

Those are all licensed music, but really good and fitting.

Not really, if you play for fun there's only a subset required, same to be competitive.

Welp I think you are completely 100% no contest wrong but okay.

I agree with twig, why even have all of them if you only need/want a small fraction?

I was going to make the same post until I saw Osmosisch had already said it. You think he's wrong, but I know for a fact he's right. You can be a competitive player with 5 champions. You can be a competitive player with 1 champion. There is a Korean player in Diamond 5 who has played ONE champion in ranked this entire season, and it's the least popular champion in all of league for the past month at least. The guy at the very top of the NA ladder has spent most of his time playing about 8-10 champions in ranked this season. There's a guy who's famous for specifically playing one champion, and got so good at it he switched to one other champion because it was banned against him so much (InvertedComposer). You could spend $20 on the "Champion's Bundle" and never have to spend another digital dime on champions to be a top-level player. You could get only the lowest tier cost of the sweat-equity cost and be in-meta forever. One of the biggest pieces of advice people give for ladder climbing is to stop picking so many champions and focus on like 3.

I mean, it's fun to fuck around with every different release. New toys are rad. Riot wants you to buy skins and shit. But you definitely don't need to do it to have fun or be competitive.

In games with many different characters, I usually find myself gravitating to 5ish characters who I spend 90 percent of my time with, but ultimately I do want every single one just to  have some variety to play around with.

On Warframe, we've actually most been spending our Platinum (cash currency) on things to catapult us forward through the grind.  Experience boosters, credit boosters, Forma to build our Dojo, and a couple of warframes a piece to give us some variety out of the gate.  I think we've spent about $35 ish between 2 of us and we still have another $15ish left in plat.  Now that we've got a great variety of equipment, we might start spending it on cosmetic stuff and progress at the normal rate. 

I agree with twig, why even have all of them if you only need/want a small fraction?

That one's easy! Your favorite is different from my favorite.

I was going to make the same post until I saw Osmosisch had already said it. You think he's wrong, but I know for a fact he's right. You can be a competitive player with 5 champions. You can be a competitive player with 1 champion. There is a Korean player in Diamond 5 who has played ONE champion in ranked this entire season, and it's the least popular champion in all of league for the past month at least. The guy at the very top of the NA ladder has spent most of his time playing about 8-10 champions in ranked this season. There's a guy who's famous for specifically playing one champion, and got so good at it he switched to one other champion because it was banned against him so much (InvertedComposer). You could spend $20 on the "Champion's Bundle" and never have to spend another digital dime on champions to be a top-level player. You could get only the lowest tier cost of the sweat-equity cost and be in-meta forever. One of the biggest pieces of advice people give for ladder climbing is to stop picking so many champions and focus on like 3.

I mean, it's fun to fuck around with every different release. New toys are rad. Riot wants you to buy skins and shit. But you definitely don't need to do it to have fun or be competitive.

While I understand what you're saying, It's a little bit easier when you're a pro to have your 5 or so main characters. It's a bit tougher when you don't know how any of the lords play to pick one. I kinda enjoyed the concept of unlocking the characters I like when I was new to LoL and LOMA's in general, but when there's so much stress on having a proper team composition and you get yelled at for not picking the "right" character, well... that's why I quit.

You can be competitive with a small number of characters in Dota (patch-depending, much like LoL), as well.

But you need access to everyone in the game so you can see them and understand them and how they work. Just because you aren't PLAYING every hero doesn't mean you can just pretend the ones you aren't playing don't exist.

I admit it's much less of a problem in League since every other character they release is a clone of a previous character, but it's still a problem.

And to approach it form the opposite direction: I played a total of one champions that I liked playing for the first few months I played League. that was Kog'maw. I TRIED playing a bunch of different champions as they rotated in and out, but none of them really clicked for me until I ended up getting Singed at some point. Or maybe the order was reversed. Can't remember exactly who I started with, but it was one of those two. (Those two are still my favorites, especially Singed). I eventually found more and more that I liked, but it took goddamn ages because the game has a fucking stupid business model.

Had I not had access to either of those champs until I grinded them out... I never would've bothered with the game beyond the first few weeks. the rest of the characters were just so fucking boring for me.

I don't know if this is true in LoL, but in HoTS there is a mode that will let you try out a hero, even one not on the free rotation, against some bots and some structures so that you at least know the move sets and talents available to you before you purchase it. As a player with very shallow knowledge I kind of appreciate being funneled into one of just a handful of heroes initially. The number of heroes in Dota or LoL is pretty overwhelming for someone coming into the game, so to be guided into one of 5 rotational free heroes and given some quests you can easily complete with those heroes means I actually come back to HoTS occasionally something that did not stick with LoL or Dota.

The idea of paying for characters in a game that's designed to be competitive is such a mind boggling concept to me.  I've never been into the competitive scene for any game so maybe I'm just making things up but what Twig says makes a lot of sense to me.  Take the classic EVO moment 37 when Daigo perfectly parries Justin Wong's entire super.  That kind of technique requires intimate knowledge of the other character's moveset.  Imagine if he had to pay for Chun-li, he might not have been able to pull of one of gaming's most iconic moments.  Players like that might main a small number of characters, but I'm sure they've at least tried them all to figure out their strengths and weaknesses. 

Gaming is weird.

While I understand what you're saying, It's a little bit easier when you're a pro to have your 5 or so main characters. It's a bit tougher when you don't know how any of the lords play to pick one. I kinda enjoyed the concept of unlocking the characters I like when I was new to LoL and LOMA's in general, but when there's so much stress on having a proper team composition and you get yelled at for not picking the "right" character, well... that's why I quit.

I played with people who have about 3-4 characters. They play thousands of games, but basically just play those few. I get there's stress, but if you are actually a brand new player trying to learn what the game is, being limited to the free rotation is a blessing. It turns out no one else knows anything about the game either. Dipping into the knowledge base of competitive play is a choice.

You can be competitive with a small number of characters in Dota (patch-depending, much like LoL), as well.

But you need access to everyone in the game so you can see them and understand them and how they work. Just because you aren't PLAYING every hero doesn't mean you can just pretend the ones you aren't playing don't exist.

I admit it's much less of a problem in League since every other character they release is a clone of a previous character, but it's still a problem.

Nah, you just need a general idea. Tons of people who coach talk about learning to play rather than learning to play against. I also think you're conflating the fact that the League model didn't work for YOU with it not working, even though you found a couple champions right off the bat. There are 10 free characters every week that you can play and figure out how they work, and up to 10 champions in every game. You will see most of what's out there in a relatively short time! I wonder if your experience with playing the game and moving on is drastically inflating the burden of knowledge you think you need to play for fun with a couple of friends for 90 minutes every week. I also know you have some kind of crazy axe to grind with League of Legends.

I don't know if this is true in LoL, but in HoTS there is a mode that will let you try out a hero, even one not on the free rotation, against some bots and some structures so that you at least know the move sets and talents available to you before you purchase it. As a player with very shallow knowledge I kind of appreciate being funneled into one of just a handful of heroes initially. The number of heroes in Dota or LoL is pretty overwhelming for someone coming into the game, so to be guided into one of 5 rotational free heroes and given some quests you can easily complete with those heroes means I actually come back to HoTS occasionally something that did not stick with LoL or Dota.

I'm pretty sure that's part of why they have the system they have.

Beyond that, in League unlike HotS there's a pretty large selection of simple yet powerful heroes that are available for a pittance - the equivalent of approximately 3 victories (450 IP) or three times that (1350). They've done a great job of keeping the early heroes relevant so you can put together a strong roster without that much time invested.

There's a pretty informative spotlight video available for each hero, but unfortunately no try-before-you-buy feature like in HotS. That would be a great addition.

It's not a perfect system, but it definitely serves a subset of the player base more to have a slowly increasing champion pool than the bewildering array of choice that Dota offers.

I also know you have some kind of crazy axe to grind with League of Legends.

lol wat?

I played and enjoyed that game for a long time? It was a bad business model at the time (and I criticized it very heavily at the time, too), and it's even worse now, as the hero pool is even bigger.

lol wat?

I played and enjoyed that game for a long time? It was a bad business model at the time (and I criticized it very heavily at the time, too), and it's even worse now, as the hero pool is even bigger.

How can the champion pool be too big to learn what all of them do if they're all just clones?

They may have had something like that, or might have added it since I played. It's been years since I dabbled. I guess not having access to all characters put me in the mindset of "find a lord I'm good with and always play him/her" where Dota having everyone unlocked from the start makes me think more about team composition and picking a different/right lord for each situation. I also had a ton more familiarity with LOMAs between when I first played LoL and later played Dota, so it's not so easy to compare.

Same way fox and falco are different in Smash! Okay I admit I was just parroting what my league playing friends say to me about league these days. That wasn't wholly fair, because I'm not part of that crowd anymore. But you're going to take one line and accuse me of having a beef? That's rough.

I also didn't say they're ALL clones.

I mean listen, all I did at first was call out league as having a less than perfect business model, because f2p was the current topic. If that means I have a beef, despite often outwardly saying I think it's an otherwise solid game, then whatever dude.

I also know you have some kind of crazy axe to grind with League of Legends.

Nah, that's me.

What a great fucking company, paying tournament organizers to not have a HoN/DOTA tournament because they're having a LoL tourny. Almost getting esports orgs to drop their dota/hon teams if they wanted a LoL team in official tournaments.

I get the need to have a business model where you sell heroes/lords for the company. I don't get why people say it's so good for new players since they aren't overwhelmed. Ok, you aren't overwhelmed the first few times you play the game solo. What if you don't like any of the free heroes on offer or the one the guide/guides recommend you buy? What if a patch fucks over your 5 unlocked heroes? Ok, patches obviously won't fuck over the starter/cheaper heroes so now your balance changes don't dare touch those too much.

Metacritic gets a bad rap. Yeah yeah, numbers can never sum up someone's opinion and games are subjective anyway and blah blah blah.

It's incredibly useful to be able to open a game's Steam page and go "Ooh, this looks interesting, maybe I'll-" *Metacritic 62* "... or not." It's also useful to be able to say "I'm in the mood for a new FPS. What's good?" *Sort by Metacritic*.

I think the bad rap comes from whether or not you often share majority opinion. I don't feel like I do, so a 62 on Metacritic tells me nothing at all, but reading why someone disliked a game will tell me whether or not I care about the issues they had with it.