SecretAsianMan

Unity Tutorials

The purpose of this thread is to post tutorials for Unity.  It can be a tutorial you've made youself, or one you found somewhere else.  Difficulty can range from stuff for beginners to advanced techniques.

I used the Walker Bros. tutorial. It's slow going. But thorough.

It's always video tutorials! Does no one else hate them?

You can only go at the pace of the video, you can't skip around effectively, you can't easily use them as a reference etc. It feels so inefficient.

I despise video tutorials! They are the bane to my existence.

I despise video tutorials! They are the bane to my existence.

Welcome to the Unity Community!  Almost all tutorials are video tutorials.

Cooking with Unity isn't a bad series.  They make mistakes, but they are generally well prepared.

https://www.youtube.com/pushypixels

What issues do you guys have with video tutorials. I sometimes prefer text as it's easier to follow at your own speed but with the way the editor is I find watching the videos very helpful even if they tend to move a little quicker then I would generally like them to.

What issues do you guys have with video tutorials. I sometimes prefer text as it's easier to follow at your own speed

You got it in one.

I think video tutorials become less useful with experience.  If you're just starting out, then it's all pretty much the same, but if you just want a reference piece it's pretty hard to seek to the "good part".  Also, in both cases, it takes a longer time to evaluate whether the content of the tutorial is going to be any good.  Which is an especially big problem in the Unity community, since a lot of information out there isn't the best (it is getting a lot better though).

Cooking with Unity isn't a bad series.  They make mistakes, but they are generally well prepared.

https://www.youtube.com/pushypixels

Being brand new to Unity/Programming/Game design, I have found pushypixels to be my favorite so far. I actually like that they make mistakes and aren't as prepared as they should be when making a tutorial because I get to see the thought process they go through when building a game.

That being said, I'm sure that it will get old as my programming chops improve and I start to see the same stuff over and over again.

What issues do you guys have with video tutorials. I sometimes prefer text as it's easier to follow at your own speed but with the way the editor is I find watching the videos very helpful even if they tend to move a little quicker then I would generally like them to.

Personally, I don't learn very well from listening.

Personally, I don't learn very well from listening.

I've liked video tutorials recently because in OS X, you can make youtube and Unity both full screen, and then swipe back and forth between them super quick. It makes it easy to follow along with what they're doing.

So if you are a super beginner like me and you just want to approach learning Unity as an hour-a-day kinda thing, I think these videos are helpful and in order. I'm only on episode 6 and I'm using a lot more resources than just following along here, but I like these videos because on mornings when I don't feel like doing anything particular, I can sit down with my breakfast and coffee and watch this guy show Unity's UI at a slow pace. It's a good way to find out that what tools exist in Unity. The reason I'm only on episode 6 is because it isn't what I'm always in the mood for. BUT I AM THIS MORNING! While watching the one on cameras, I start thinking that I can't wait to make Split-screen: the Game

This is a great video-overview of the basic process involved with creating a 2d-platformer in Unity. 

Chevy Ray Johnston, Alec Holowka, and Daniel Nascimento started Unity Patterns toward the end of last year.

There's not a lot of content on there, but what is there is well written and comprehensive. They also post free editor extensions to use. There was a bit of a lull, but hopefully they'll continue to update it. Anyway, what's there right now is pretty good especially if you're bridging the beginner to intermediate gap. 

Re: video tutorials, this is something I wrote a while ago which expresses how I tend to feel about them :P

For some reason, Unity Tutorials are The Worst Things. Maybe it’s because it’s an IDE in addition to being an engine, and so you get a lot of “how do I zoom?” mixed in with the actual game-crafting examples. Even that doesn’t explain The Internet’s peculiar reluctance to actually write down a text-and-screenshots guide to making a game in Unity. I will share my moderately successful study plan, for the benefit of my many interested readers.

Ordinarily, if you want to learn, your path is clear — you will be gazing slack-jawed at lots of Youtube videos of people showing you how to put trees on terrain *AGAIN* while snuffling into their microphone. The game logic itself may be a set of unexplained script files you can download and paste into your project; if you are lucky, only the last 25% of the video will focus on particle effects.

Clearly this is sub-optimal. A slightly better option is to go in for the official documentation, which eschews actual game-making in favor of stepping through every button and menu option in Unity, one by one.

What does *not* seem to exist is the obvious and desirable route (for me at least) — a web page which describes with text and screenshots, all of the steps that a real person takes as they make a simple game. But combining the following resources, I’ve sort of approximated something of that nature!

But then I found this unity cookie introductory video course which is fairly to-the-point and ends with a long video that has you making a full game-about-a-car, so all was not lost. Gritting my teeth and watching that whole (two hour) series gave me confidence that I understood the basic stuff, so that I could furiously click around in other tutorials without fearing to miss something terribly fundamental.

I'm enjoying this match-3 tutorial. This is perfect for where I am right now. I'm not comfortable with Lists or GetComponent or using methods from other scripts. This dude goes through it nonchalantly which would infuriate me a month ago, but it's neat to see how he creates a genre I'm very familiar with by using tools I'm only somewhat aware of. When he added a bouncy physics material to the blocks, I was like "I love how Unity just has toyish components attached". The ability to play with things like color, pitch, and physics values while trying to figure out how to make something is one of my favorite parts.

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/9BFD44A6011067961052483969024_1bf48f58508.4.8.7755000183410900051.mp4?versionId=vm_PsmLaKN0Eph_GCRdW2y7VugE4hGwv

Most of these are video tutorials, but here are the places I've found most useful

3DBuzz - Lots of unity specific stuff, as well as modelling, general programming, and other software packages.  I actually taught myself C# by watching their XNA 101 series.

Infinite Skills - Similar to 3DBuzz, but with a few more advanced tutorials such as Networking in Unity

BurgZerg Arcade - A series of tutorials mostly focused around creating an Action RPG

Unify Community Wiki - This actually took me a bit to find.  Has a plethora of unity related resources, scripts, etc.

Unity3D Student - I haven't tried this one, but it looks good for beginners

Unity Learn Modules - A bunch of tutorials either made or commisioned by Unity.

MSDN C# Reference - Microsoft's reference for C#.  Not unity specific but quite helpful for scripting.

Gamasutra - This is just a link to one of the many Unity-focused tutorials on Gamasutra

Pixel Prospector - Great site for all this indie game development, lots of stuff listed here

There are a couple more I can't seem to remember but they are mostly repeats.

Unity cookie has a pretty good intro tutorial series. Its pretty light on more complex stuff though, although there is a shader series thats very in depth.

This is the video that I needed to watch on delegates and events. I picked up tips elsewhere, so it may have just provided that last pieces of info I needed.

Some things that were confusing me:

I did not realize that the method that you are subscribing to the event is in the EventListener script because most tutorials seem to use the same names for the method as they do for the event. 

It also took me a while to realize that the delegate's parameter is the variable that it is passing to the events and not a variable that it was somehow taking. This is because I'm used to methods looking like that. 

I'm starting to get it though.

I am about to start down this terrible path of learning Unity with only a bit of basic coding experience. It is my honest intention to document and blog both my learning process and the results as they develop. I have the game concept, and i have the tools... All I need now is some spare time.