Jake

Idle Thumbs 108: A Premium Price

There's always been a weird Chris vs. Sean thing. Chris likes Sean but not at heart, and I agree: Sean's kinda annoying and talks too much. He's a mess. DOTA's not fun or funny or interesting or art. Jake likes him because he's his friend and he works with him but the podcast was better before

Jesus dude! Are you really fucking serious? I hope you're kidding but something tells me you're not. Please don't ever post that kind of shit again and ruin these forums. Or like Jake said, just fucking leave.

Everyone on this cast fucking rocks. Period. It has the best group of personalities and I really like the extra dynamic that Sean brought when he joined the cast.

Like any group of friends who are passionate about something there is always going to be disagreements and some tension here and there. I hope I was not misinterpreted in my earlier post but I was just jokingly stating that it would be cool to hear the guys duke it out no holds barred. It was a joke.

Edit: Wow, nice work guys! Went to view the profile and GONE. Thank you for keeping the riffraff out.

There's always been a weird Chris vs. Sean thing. Chris likes Sean but not at heart, and I agree: Sean's kinda annoying and talks too much. He's a mess. DOTA's not fun or funny or interesting or art. Jake likes him because he's his friend and he works with him but the podcast was better before

everyones is good, and its good that everyone has their own perspective on things, why try and personally insult people?

saying that though BonnieDowling's mum is a mess and talks to much .... in bed

The willingness of people to personally criticize someone over a free thing they put out there blows my mind. Someone sent a similar e-mail to me about my podcast once (It was literally titled "My criticism of you is") and when I told them they were being really rude they were baffled, because their e-mail opened with "I am a fan of the podcast". 

I think a side-effect of listening to friends honestly converse for hundreds of hours about things that are important to them is that you can assume a weird level of intimacy that isn't actually there, because it's one-sided. Personally, I feel like I know the Thumbs better than many people I call my friends. Because podcasting is really weird and the appeal is often both about content and keeping the listener company while they work or commute or exercise or whatever. And maybe that "show with content/hanging out with your internet friends" confusion can lead to a weird interactions where people think it's cool for them to give input on how the show should change not realizing that they're really just telling people what they don't like about them personally.

Or maybe this is the internet and people act like dicks for no reason. Thumbs down, Bonnie.

These 4 guys are totally my one way best friends. And I'm a creepy internet dude talking about people I've never met being my best friends. Please don't get a restraining order on me.

So. After that awkward little tussle I just want to say that I love Radiohead and have never understood a word that comes out of Thom York's mouth. I looked up the lyrics to Pyramid Song (my favorite) and was blown away (IGN.com) by how poetic and beautiful it is. It made me love the song even more but also made me sad that I can't comprehend lyrics because sometimes they can add a lot to the enjoyment of a song for me.

These 4 guys are totally my one way best friends. And I'm a creepy internet dude talking about people I've never met being my best friends. Please don't get a restraining order on me.

So. After that awkward little tussle I just want to say that I love Radiohead and have never understood a word that comes out of Thom York's mouth. I looked up the lyrics to Pyramid Song (my favorite) and was blown away (IGN.com) by how poetic and beautiful it is. It made me love the song even more but also made me sad that I can't comprehend lyrics because sometimes they can add a lot to the enjoyment of a song for me.

i can't hear one word in that song, one of my favorite radiohead songs is Street Spirit (Fade Out) and basically even though i have listened to it like hundreds of times the only words i can hear are "bearing down on me" "fade out" and a few others, he could hum the whole time or just make sounds and it would be just as good

Come on people, don't feed the trolls, we know better than this.

Well, maybe we should have just fed him a herring. ;)

i can't hear one word in that song, one of my favorite radiohead songs is Street Spirit (Fade Out) and basically even though i have listened to it like hundreds of times the only words i can hear are "bearing down on me" "fade out" and a few others, he could hum the whole time or just make sounds and it would be just as good

Which is what makes King of Limbs so good to me. Lots of humming and him making sounds. I saw Radiohead live when they came to Phoenix last year and it was so good. Hearing Pyramid Song, Airbag, and Paranoid Android live was just... I can't find the words.

I think part of the game Yorke can play, though, is to use this to obfuscate some lyrics and emphasize others. I don't know if the chorus of There There would destroy me like it does if it didn't feel like it was emerging from the fog of the verses. There a lot of Radiohead songs like that, where one phrase encapsulates the emotions of the whole song, and that's the phrase that's most coherent.

Come on people, don't feed the trolls, we know better than this.

BLg132BCcAAbPjx.jpg

Just like some people can't distinguish voices that are clearly and obviously different, some people can't parse social dynamics just from listening to strangers having a conversation. 

In both cases lack of visual cues probably makes it harder for some people, and there may also be cultural obstacles to understanding.  I imagine there are some Idle Thumbs readers for whom English is a second language.

Yeah! Chris and Sean really need to stop with the flirting (like the

) and just profess their undying love for each other. It's no coincidence that Sean is obsessed with Obama and Chris does a killer Obama impression. 

You guys aren't fooling anybody.

Yeah! Chris and Sean really need to stop with the flirting (like the

) and just profess their undying love for each other. It's no coincidence that Sean is obsessed with Obama and Chris does a killer Obama impression. 

You guys aren't fooling anybody.

We're all just waiting for them to start making out in a sex QTE while the room fills with water.

Uh, a bit late to say this, but great cast. Just wanted to say, I imagined an adverboss for Ace Patrol coming down killing all your units, taking off his mask to reveal a cutesy xcom alien before saying "XCOM. Is premium game, it vill command premium price" in Chris Remo's russian voice, and flying away.

Regarding how great Tom Francis (maker of Gunpoint) is as game writer, check out his outline for a better ending to the original Bioshock (spoilers for Bioshock):

http://www.pentadact.com/2009-04-15-ending-bioshock/

He fixes all the problems with the last section of the game and comes up with an ending that just reading about in his synopis is more effective, chilling, and satisfying than pretty much any actual game ending I've actually experienced. 

I am super excited to see what he's done with Gunpoint and hope he gets the chance to design and write for more games.

also, p.s., your mom has always been secretly disappointed in you and wishes you were more like your friend chris remo

Not Steve Gaynor? He even gave her that "horse bag" shout out back in the day...

Well that got weird and awkward and unpleasant. Internet people, man. I dunno. I guess there are always these little tensions and whatnot even between good friends, and people who are used to watching soap operas where everything is foreshadowing some terrible secret pick up on what are really little annoyances and inflate them into clandestine conflicts. Or maybe they just be trollin'. Who knows?

Worth mentioning at this juncture though: I like Sean, insofar as it's appropriate to like a person who one has never met and just enjoy listening to bullshit about games with his buddies every week. I think he adds a lot of focus to the discussion: It probably cuts down on the goofing off a bit (which maybe some people don't like?) but, aside from contributing his own worthwhile insights on gaming and stuff, subtly prods the other Thumbs to do so as well. I think it's swell. Thanks, Sean!

I will totally admit to not being a big Sean fan when he first came on the podcast.  Mostly because he was the new guy and sort of had the bad timing of coming in when the podcast was winding down before the KS.  Then I met him in person and it turned out he was an AWESOME DUDE.  It made me give the post-KS casts another listen, this time with a more open mind.  Now I feel like an ass for ever doubting him.  He has lifted my spirits on more than one occasion.  So ignore the haters Sean, and keep being a cool guy.

Oh, and Chris, Jake, Steve, and Nick are cool guys too.

Because I started listening so very recently (as in...oh, November, maybe? Possibly December.) everyone is on very even ground. In my mind, everyone is just "A Thumb". If someone asked me to match a name to a voice, I just wouldn't be able to do it. Listening to the podcast feels less like listening to several individuals, and more like one group with different focuses... I guess the best way to describe what I mean is like Deadpool in some comics, where he has the split personalities that all have their own voices, but its all still Deadpool, you know?

I was fine with Sean until Steve pointed out on Twitter how much he says "tremendous," in retaliation for Sean's version of Steve's voicemail. "Tremendous" count for the first Dota Today episode? Five, or one every six minutes.

I vote a switch to "prodigious."

The only thing that annoys me about Sean is the verbs he uses instead of nouns. "Reccomend" instead of "recommendation"; "solve" instead of "solution." It's a dumb complaint anyway.

Other than that, Sean, you're great. I didn't even need you to start a separate DOTA cast. I've never played a LOMA before and thought your discussions of the game were fascinating. At least as fascinating as those about Far Cry 2, which I've also never played and has been discussed way more.

Sean is magical. He has a gift for telling good stories and hearing his Far Cry 2 story way back when had me convinced. Lots of love for Sean.

I will say though that I really miss all the conversations about poop, cocks, and donkey cocks. I've been listening to older casts lately and those three things were mentioned almost every episode and had me bursting into laughter regularly. In fact, I think there should be a 10 minute segment devoted to that holy trinity every episode.

Come on guys. No love for donkey cocks?

When I'm sitting in a diner with friends and one of them randomly starts singing along to whatever happens to be playing in the background, it baffles me that they could hear what was being sung and pull it out of the air in an environment like that, because while I can hear and pull out the melody/other performances in the background, I'm almost unconscious that there is also someone singing.)

That may not be what they're doing. I know there are a few songs I know well enough that I could theoretically recognize the particular instrumental part of the song without necessarily being able to make out the vocals and start singing along. I would never actually do this because I am a terrible singer, it would be really awkward, and they're not songs that would be playing in the background in a restaurant anyway. But in theory I could. (For example, I used to have a huge chunk of the Meat Puppets song "Unexplained" from the "inspired by the X-Files" compilation album Songs in the Key of X memorized.)

Over two-thousand people gave more than $130,000 to hear the Chris, Jake, & Sean line-up of Idle Thumbs.

But really, Idle Thumbs is kind of a format for generating great conversations with all kinds of line-ups.  Nick, Steve, J.P., Ryan, Brad, even that episode where Jake & Sean just hung out talking with a bunch of guys from the BAFTAs was better than most video game podcasts.  I've enjoyed every episode and am glad they found a way to keep it going.