Jake

Idle Thumbs 108: A Premium Price

In the words of Jake, "Ugh, gross"

I've found that Idle Thumbs vocabulary like this has started seeping into my everyday lexicon since I've started listening to the show. And now I'm browsing the forums more I notice it's affected others in a similar way.

Neat.

I've found that Idle Thumbs vocabulary like this has started seeping into my everyday lexicon since I've started listening to the show. And now I'm browsing the forums more I notice it's affected others in a similar way.

Neat.

I find myself describing more things as "lords" or "lording" now. 

Neat.

Last summer, when I first started listening to Idle Thumbs, I had an internship where a lot of my work was filling out excel spreadsheets their developers were too busy to do. I also had cut ties with most of my high school friends already but was interning where I grew up, and was living with my parents for the summer (I had just finished my freshmen year). I didn't really have an exciting social life that summer, and as a result of that, and some of the mindless work I was doing, I ended up listening to the whole back catalog of Idle Thumbs in a few weeks. I remember one weekend I was with a few of my friends I had kept in contact with and dropped a hot scoops joke, and some other dumb idle thumbs joke, (probably horse bag or something) assuming they would get it. I was also drunk which probably helped....but it was a weird phenomena. Not the greatest summer of my life but there you go.

In all likeliness Gary Whitta is responsible for the name of Will Smith's character name in After Earth. CYPHER RAIGE.

THAT'S HIS NAME.

The twist is that BonnieDowling is actually Nick's throw-away account. He's trying to sow dissent in preparation of their next round of Risk Legacy.

I was fine with Sean until Steve pointed out on Twitter how much he says "tremendous," in retaliation for Sean's version of Steve's voicemail. "Tremendous" count for the first Dota Today episode? Five, or one every six minutes.

I vote a switch to "prodigious."

Good call. "Ostensibly" is already taken by the Giant Bomb guys, so that should be avoided for purposes of beef minimization.... or used, prodigiously, for the purposes of

DrccQRP.gif

The twist is that BonnieDowling is actually Nick's throw-away account. He's trying to sow dissent in preparation of their next round of Risk Legacy.

My first thought was that BonnieDowling was actually

and she was playing mind games with Sean in preparation for a future game.

Good call. "Ostensibly" is already taken by the Giant Bomb guys, so that should be avoided for purposes of beef minimization.... or used, prodigiously, for the purposes of

DrccQRP.gif

As long as they don't pronounce it "Obstensively" like Klepek does. I actually do like that guy, but goddamn it if I don't flinch every time he butchers that word.

My one complaint about Sean is that he's just too damn attractive.

Oh yes, not all that money was to hear the idle thumbs. Nudge nudge.

From page three with Tegan: yes, play TWEWY ( on the DS if possible for added insanity during battles). It has everything this episode was about: misheard lyrics ('the right to have an aborton' always struck me as an odd line for a DS game), customisable difficulty, more different types of jRPG and video games.

Great Episode as always. I think dota still has a place in mainstream thumbs if and when needed.

From page three with Tegan: yes, play TWEWY ( on the DS if possible for added insanity during battles). It has everything this episode was about: misheard lyrics ('the right to have an aborton' always struck me as an odd line for a DS game)

I completely forgot there was an iOS port. What bugged me most about that port was that it completely missed the point of the original game being about social isolation by plugging your goddamned twitter feed into NPC dialogue.

Also, the best part of the misheard lyrics in that game is that sometimes the actual lyrics to some background tracks are hilarious Engrish rap, so anything your brain invents is probably going to make more sense than the real deal.

What bugged me about the iOS port was it crashed right before the final boss which is the exact place the original crashed in me too. I was a little wierded out.

The port was well done, but I did miss the insane double team mechanic and the more precise DS stylus controls so I never went for the post game. Themes and all that I'm not so strong on!

Chris did play a blinder at the end (it means blindingly good in Scotland) and I defo like his deeper insight, especially about games adhering to or throwing off the shackles of genre definitions. I play a lot of EVE and there is nothing in your gaming past that you can carry over into that game in terms of mechanics/metaphors/shortcuts. Increasingly those are the kind of games I enjoy, or games that toy with it, like Frog Fractions :D

We don't check that number anymore so please email us.

Do you guys still have access. I think it would be hilarious for you guys just to check it now. See how many messages aret here after a couple years of ignoring it.

Is there an episode this week, or do you all have E3 stuff to do?

And I bet hearing the Wizard-On messages would be a monkey-paw wish that everyone would regret. Nothing's gonna top "555-WIZARD-NO" anyway.

Is there an episode this week, or do you all have E3 stuff to do?

And I bet hearing the Wizard-On messages would be a monkey-paw wish that everyone would regret. Nothing's gonna top "555-WIZARD-NO" anyway.

I think one of the Thumbs tweeted earlier to say the episode was eaten by the audio hardware again. :(

Although now I can't find the tweet and it's driving me mad and making me think I made it up in my head.

(Edit: This forum has weird emoticons. An angry tomato for a sad face? Well now I've seen everything.) 

Twist: twitter ate the tweet about the eaten episode.

It's true, there was another mangled recording.

We think we figured out the culprit though, so we're in the clear from here on out.

As long as they don't pronounce it "Obstensively" like Klepek does. I actually do like that guy, but goddamn it if I don't flinch every time he butchers that word.

Ack, agreed, and he says it so often I get the feeling he doesn't know what the word means. It's refreshing to switch back to Thumbs when a new episode is released & hear the word used correctly and sparingly (because things are seldom ostensible (or ARE they?)). But for the scoops (regular temperature) I try to forgive.