Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

When PAX East started, I had two tweets in my twitter feed, one after the other. The first depicted a women's bathroom that had a men's sign hastily put over it, with a sarcastic comment about how well PAX was doing at making it a welcoming place. The second was of a gender-neutral bathroom, and a sincere comment about how nice it is to see PAX being welcoming.

There is no cleaner illustration, to my mind, that we see only what we want to see.

In the case of the gender-neutral bathroom, wouldn't that be more of the convention center itself rather than PAX?  They may rent the space but they sure as heck don't control the facilities.

In the case of the gender-neutral bathroom, wouldn't that be more of the convention center itself rather than PAX?  They may rent the space but they sure as heck don't control the facilities.

A tiny bit of research confirms that both are actually the convention centre's doing; Boston requires a gender neutral bathroom to be provided, but the convention centre, for reasons of its own, decided to turn a bunch of women's bathrooms into men's bathrooms. So PAX had nothing to do with the bathrooms, and yet...

You see only what you want to see.

A brief foray into the politics and video games thread lead me to read part of the article about those school stabbings, which then reminded me that I needed to get a kitchen knife for our new place, which led me to start searching around Amazon for kitchen knife reviews.

I am probably on an NSA watch list now.

A brief foray into the politics and video games thread lead me to read part of the article about those school stabbings, which then reminded me that I needed to get a kitchen knife for our new place, which led me to start searching around Amazon for kitchen knife reviews.

I am probably on an NSA watch list now.

Given the general weirdness of a lot of the conversations around here, I think we're all on watch lists of one kind or another.

On knives, get a good sharpener, learn how to sharpen well, and do it regularly.  It only takes a tiny bit of time and we tend to do it as we wash.  One of my friends worked for awhile at a professional knife sharpening place.  Chefs and restaurants use really cheap knives, but sharpen them religiously. 

I ended up finding this on the Wirecutter: http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-chefs-knife-for-most-cooks/

I never have much luck sharpening knives, maybe I just do it wrong.

My friend taught me how, it turned out I had been doing it backwards my entire life!  I didn't understand the point of a honing rod, nor was I going in the right direction or angle.  It was pretty simple once I had someone who knew what the hell they were doing explain it to me (like so much in life). 

I was wondering the other day why bottled water has a sell by date, and why this is never a point of concern for people in post-apocalyptic movies/games.

Years ago I was told it's something like "this is the point where too much of the plastic will have leeched into the water". That was how it was explained to me in passing forever ago and I have never bothered to look it up to confirm it or not. Use this information as you will.

Was anyone else ever told not to put your elbows on the table as a kid?  Why is that a bad thing?

I think it comes from the Victorian era or similar. A time when, if you were rich, there was literally nothing to do with your life but make up inane rules that would allow you to pretend that you were better than poor people. It's the only reason I can imagine for stuff like this or having several different spoons for specific dishes and etc.

I was told that as a kid. I don't know why... maybe something to do with keeping the table clean? Or maybe its so you're not taking up a bunch of space on the table? I don't know.

I hate eating* because I'm tall and unless I slouch down, I'm gonna spill all kinds of food on the way up to my mouth. Also I hate not having something to rest my arms on. My shoulders get sort of sore after a while because I'm so tall I can't rest my arms on my legs. Which is weird because I don't have that problem when I'm standing. It's something specific to sitting. Maybe I just suck at sitting. And eating.

*I mean I love eating, and that's why I'm fat. But I hate the position I have to sit in while eating.

My niece collected, played with and then murdered around 25 snails yesterday while i looked after her. Well, i managed to airlift around half to safety once the great purge begun after the snail racing. Also, it was not my niece that murdered them, it was a bit blue dinosaur with huge teeth who ate them.

I was wondering why she was so into killing snails when my dad put her on a bike and they rolled over a few for fun:(

I used to shoot fiddler crabs with a bb-gun when I was a kid. I feel horrible about it now. My turning point was when I saw a bird flying way above me during my fiddler crab shooting and I took a shot at the bird. It was so high that there was no way I could actually hit it. I led the shot really far and fired. After a second the bird just plummeted into the neighbor's yard. I felt horrible once I realized that the world was not just because of people like me.

i don't know where to put this, but it the most cyberpunk thing i've heard in a minute. bunch of pals were down in brooklyn for the big punk fest, and there is this new operation called PHROSTIES. they're like alcoholic slurpees, rumored (and furiously denied) to contain codeine. you order them by messaging the operation on instagram, and they'll deliver them anywhere in ny, 24 hours a day. 

Tony_The_Tiger.jpg

FAT MAN SCOOPS

BROOKLINE CLAN

FAT MAN SCOOPS

BROOKLINE CLAN

FAT MAN SCOOPS

BROOKLINE CLAN

BROOKLINE CLAN

BASS TRACK

OH OH OH

ALL THE LADIES

I CANT HERE YA

ALL THE LADIES

MAKE NOISE

THIS 95.5 FM, H-H-H-H-H-H-HOT SCOOPZ ON THE MIC YA'LL.

HOOOOT SCOOPS ON THE MIC.

H-H-HOT SCOOPS ON TH-TH-THE MIC.

"YO DIS IS HOT SCOOPS, AND DIS CHANNEL BE FULL OF G~G~G~G~GHOSTS (F-F-FILLED WITH GHOSTS), YOUR ASS JUST DUN' GONE HOME, NOMSAYIN' MOTHERFUCKER"

ONLY ON 95.5, PUFFIN RADIO. P-P-PUFFIN RADIO. *BABOO*

Have this in the background while reading this stupid shit. Preferable if you obnoxiously shout every line.

ALL YOU CHICKENHEADS, BE QUIET

Oh wow! That was what he is sayin. Thank you, you have enriched my life