Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

I get that people find them annoying but saying that one set of ads is ok because you like the hosts seems pretty disingenuous to me.  I can get behind what Zeus is saying about the Thumbs actually endorsing products they've used and believe are good.  I think that's a way better sell than simply a check.  I've even used a Thumbs (and Bombcast) promo code for those reasons*.  But I can't get behind any sort of moral high ground.  It feels too much like illegally downloading a song or game because I don't feel like paying for it, except in this case the payment literally costs me nothing and does take away from the content creator.

The thing is, watching video ads or dealing with obnoxious content-blocking banner ads does cost me something: a bit of my time. It's a small amount, of course, but what the content creator makes off the ad is even less. From this article:

Most [Youtube] partners earn anywhere between $0.30 and $2.50 [per thousand ads served].

Even at the high end, that's a quarter of a cent per ad viewed. If someone makes a video every week for six years, and I watch them all, even at the top end of that estimate it adds up to less than a dollar worth of ad money. I can't help but find the business model insulting. To run ads is to state "I'm going to waste half a minute of your life so that I can have a fraction of a cent."

I don't hate the idea of ads, just the terrible value proposition they've settled on.

seconded on the casper mattress. we have one and I like it. I'm not particularly sensitive to sleeping surface though, so if you are, ymmv. i also very much like nature box!

(hulu has added a second tier of paid subscription that puts ads only at the beginning and end, never in the middle, but it's still not ideal)

Sweet, I hadn't heard about the new Hulu subscription plan. That might be worth trying.

The thing is, watching video ads or dealing with obnoxious content-blocking banner ads does cost me something: a bit of my time. It's a small amount, of course, but what the content creator makes off the ad is even less. From this article:

Even at the high end, that's a quarter of a cent per ad viewed. If someone makes a video every week for six years, and I watch them all, even at the top end of that estimate it adds up to less than a dollar worth of ad money. I can't help but find the business model insulting. To run ads is to state "I'm going to waste half a minute of your life so that I can have a fraction of a cent."

I don't hate the idea of ads, just the terrible value proposition they've settled on.

I agree that it's a shitty thing and I hate wasting time as much as the next person, but blocking them entirely is taking away even that piddling amount.  It's like my stance on tips.  I've mentioned before how much I hate the concept of tipping and I think it's a terrible model that needs to be done away with, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to tip my server.  It's not their fault for being trapped in a crappy practice like that.  I'm not going to hurt them further for something beyond their control, especially if it's within my capability to help.

I really loathe ads that are clearly never going to interest me. Spotify which I use sparingly must have data on the music I listen to. Why are they hitting me with ads for the "Moby Awards"? I have never once shown an interest in hip hop, RnB or any of music genres represented at that show. It's a waste of my time and a waste of theirs too.

Undirected ads happen everywhere, but when the company actually has data relating to what would be a good ad, I don't understand why they waste their time.

I really loathe ads that are clearly never going to interest me. Spotify which I use sparingly must have data on the music I listen to. Why are they hitting me with ads for the "Moby Awards"? I have never once shown an interest in hip hop, RnB or any of music genres represented at that show. It's a waste of my time and a waste of theirs too.

Undirected ads happen everywhere, but when the company actually has data relating to what would be a good ad, I don't understand why they waste their time.

The fact that Facebook still has no idea what will interest me is kind of a comforting thought. Every once and a while I'll get an ad for some ironic American flag parachute pants or whatever, and I think "the future of big data is a horrible dystopian nightmare, but today is clearly not that day."

Spotify has the worst ads.  The worst.  Their inability to sell ads, given the nature of their service, is fucking mind-boggling. 

I did, but man it was discouraging to see all the awesomeness and upheaval going on in Canada, and then see what I had on my ballot. 

Yolo county isn't even holding elections today???? I could find no evidence there was anything to vote on.

Everything position I had was a local or county seat. There were a few bills in Washington but nothing all that exciting.

An acquaintance I know will deliver/perform singing telegrams.  She's a semi-professional performer, and singing telegrams are one of the ways that she brings in some extra monies. 

I think the closest I've ever been to actually seeing a singing telegram is that one scene in the Clue movie where a woman knocks on the front door of the mansion and delivers a singing telegram (and is promptly shot).

Someone in my class got one when I was in college. It was... awkward, to be honest.

Every valentine's day at Macalester you can send someone a singing telegram from one of the a capella groups on campus. usually this song: 

American universities are weird. What is it with them and cappella groups? I always thought that was some sort of joke in sitcoms.

People being artsy where they haven't felt comfortable doing it before? College is a time for trying new things, and sometimes those new things aren't just drinking all the time :)

Well if you're a trad, it's still drinking all the time.

They're also less rigorous and structured and stressful than joining an official choral group on campus. There are auditions, but they're much less nerve wracking than school run auditions. Maybe you always liked to sing but don't want to sing choral arrangements and would rather sing pop songs, a capella groups are a good way to do that.

American universities are weird. What is it with them and cappella groups? I always thought that was some sort of joke in sitcoms.

What makes a cappella weird?  Sometimes it's fun to just sing something without music or needing any instruments.  If you can find a group of people to do it with, even better!

I think it's weird because it's not a thing in the UK. I've been a university student/worked at a university in the UK for like 8 years, and never once come across cappella outside of American sitcoms. 

I didn't know it was a sort of informal singing group. All I know about it, is what I've learned from sitcoms. Generally that it's associated with rich white guys going to Ivy League schools who don't want to let go of their past (thanks The Office USA). 

Like all musical genres and/or types, it ranges from informal to incredibly formal. There are plenty of professional a cappella groups, just like there are plenty of completely amateur rock groups.