Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

Also, "street" isn't really a code-word for black in the UK the way it is in the US (UKers agree?).

I agree. "Street" to me is like chav.

It's like that time Benedict Cumberbatch (spelling?) said "People of colour" or something, which made people mad. Yet that seems to be the opinionated in a way that is different from me way to say black in the US. 

Damn the thumbs edits.

"People of color" means non white people, not just black people.

It's not the"politically correct"way to say anything, as far as I know. It's the inclusive way to say "non white", because otherwise people default to saying black, which is unfairly exclusive to other people of color who often suffer the same types of discrimination, but are also often not explicitly included when we talk about discrimination.

What is with pitched up/down songs on youtube? I guess it's to avoid the content recognition system, but you notice instantly. Well, I do anyway and I assumed most other people do too, but sometimes these videos have more views than the correct ones. Case in point:

3 mil views? Gah!

The use of chiasmus in "Cool for the Summer" is probably the weakest application of that device I've heard.

"I've got my mind in your body and your body on my mind."

That's just the same sentiment twice! There's no juxtaposition here at all.

I like the song though.

My professional breakfast advice is don't eat it, then.

That's good advice.

It is a shoe for Chris Remo.

Shame they're not Vans.

So, I've been watching YouTube a lot the last couple of days and they're really advertising the movie Black Mass pretty hard, but not one advertisement has actually told me anything about what that movie is actually about. I hate trailers that give away the whole movie plot as much as the next person, but there's got to be some middle ground here.

I've been listening to and also reading impressions about the new Iron Maiden album and I've noticed that many people seem to have quite strong opinions after having listened to it one or maybe two times. This is weird to me, because I usually need to listen to an album a lot of times (5-10) before I know what I think about it and I almost never like a song the first time I hear it (unless it's something very easily digestible like a DnB or trance song). I begin to like music more when I've heard it enough times to where I can remember most of a song. I know some people have week long spotify playlists and (back in the day) hundreds of gigs of MP3s, but I'd go crazy only hearing the same song once a week. When I find something I like I can listen to it a dozen times in a row. Makes finding new music harder though, I'm pretty bad at expanding my taste. Even with artists that I like; I'm not sure I've listened to the entire discography of a single artist.

What about you guys? Am I just weird?

There's no other form of media I'm this way with, I'll watch a movie once and enjoy it.

I'm exactly the same way. Most of my favorite stuff took at least 5 or so listens before it really sunk in and became a thing I loved.

Yep, same.

Although I do tend to go through phases throughout the year where I just completely stop listening to something (usually because I remember I like other genres, like going from pop to metal to rap to Irish folk to Jimmy Buffet to various and sundry other shit). I usually come back at some point, but... sometimes I don't!

Yeah, Jimmy Buffet is a genre unto his own! And yeah I like Jimmy Buffet, a lot, so there.

Buffet does have his own Satellite channel devoted to him, so I think that qualifies as a genre now. 

Also, totally the same on music.  I had no idea there was a new Iron Maiden album out!  I have to listen to this.  Maiden was my favorite band for years, mostly because as a goofy 10-year-old I thought the cover art to Somewhere in Time was the MOST AMAZING SHIT EVER!  I find them sometimes cringeworthy now, but will always have a real soft spot for them. 

Yeah, eot, I have the same experience with music. Often I'll dislike something on the first listen, but later on fall in love with it and get obsessed. That's why I think games and music have a lot in common.

Also, totally the same on music.  I had no idea there was a new Iron Maiden album out!  I have to listen to this.  Maiden was my favorite band for years, mostly because as a goofy 10-year-old I thought the cover art to Somewhere in Time was the MOST AMAZING SHIT EVER!  I find them sometimes cringeworthy now, but will always have a real soft spot for them.

Yeah, their lyrical content often veers into the unintentionally cheesy territory. I'm a pretty big fan of them too, I had a period of a few years around high school where they dominated my music consumption. It took me ages just to get through most of their stuff, because there's so much of it. I think the majority of it is good too, which is impressive.

It pains me a a little that for some reason I wasn't able to get as into their last two albums. Brave New World was a great comeback, there are several songs on it I'd put fairly high up on a list of top songs. Dance of Death wasn't as strong but still had a few standouts and not that many complete duds. It was A Matter Of Life And Death that really disappointed me and I still haven't fully figured out why. It's not just the songwriting, because there's plenty of material on there that I think could be great. I think it's more in the production, but I don't enough about that to articulate it.

It just lacks definition, it's muddy and it kinda makes everything sound the same. The Final Frontier was a slight improvement. It could be that they're recording with three guitarists now, but when you compare those records with BNW I think the difference is huge (their olders album sound way crisper, but it's a totally different sound so I don't think it's a fair comparison).

I've mostly stopped listening to music in favour of podcasts. It kinda bums me out. I used to be really into a lot of different music genres and went to a lot of live music throughout high school and college. 

I just kind of ran out of new things. While I still occasionally listen to my favourites, not having new music to inspire me to listen just puts a downer on everything.

I'm also the kind of person who loves albums. Music is shifting to this idea that an album is full on individual singles, so it's ok to shuffle it all. It's why I can't stand spotify. I don't want to pay to listen to an album in order. That should be standard. Just give me loads of ads. 

I dunno, most of my favourite albums don't have a lot of good singles, but as a whole they come together to make one great piece of cohesive music. 

I've found myself consciously cutting back on podcasts, because at some point I was listening to them more out of habit than I was actually enjoying them.

I've mostly stopped listening to music in favour of podcasts. It kinda bums me out. I used to be really into a lot of different music genres and went to a lot of live music throughout high school and college.

I just kind of ran out of new things. While I still occasionally listen to my favourites, not having new music to inspire me to listen just puts a downer on everything.

I'm also the kind of person who loves albums. Music is shifting to this idea that an album is full on individual singles, so it's ok to shuffle it all. It's why I can't stand spotify. I don't want to pay to listen to an album in order. That should be standard. Just give me loads of ads.

I dunno, most of my favourite albums don't have a lot of good singles, but as a whole they come together to make one great piece of cohesive music.

This post really resonates with me. I've also barely listened to any music over the last couple years and instead have shifted exclusively to podcasts, mostly catching up on old bombcasts these days.

And yeah, I much prefer to listen to entire albums than just random singles in a playlist so all these fancy music services just haven't really clicked with me. I'm still that guy that just goes back and listens to some subset of the thousands of mp3s I've accumulated over the years whenever I'm in the mood for some music and I kind of hit a point where I've gotten bored of it. Artists I like don't put out much new stuff anymore and I have no idea which new artists are worth listening to. At least techno rarely lets me down though. I can usually get a fresh injection of good techno every couple years and it's always easy to enjoy.

Wait, Spotify forces you to shuffle albums, now?

When did they do this?!

Anyway I use Google Music and pay eight bucks a month, Spotify has a similar price point, it's less than the cost of a single meal, unless you're really really hurting for money, I don't know why you wouldn't just pay. But then I fucking hate ads that interrupt what I'm doing, if I see an ad on a YouTube video, I'll just not watch the video most of the time, same goes for a Twitch stream, and if an ad interrupted my music, fuck, I'd probably break something.

I've found myself consciously cutting back on podcasts, because at some point I was listening to them more out of habit than I was actually enjoying them.

This is why I regularly cull podcasts if I'm finding myself not even a tiny hit excited when a new episode has appeared. I was surprised how easily I'd realise I don't care about the podcast just from asking myself "Why aren't I happy to see a new episode from them?"

It takes me three times to know whether or not I'll like the song. With the exception of k-pop and college-radio, I listen to albums rather than singles. College-radio is an interesting method because they regularly put new things into heavy-rotation so I get excited as familiarity develops through happenstance.

Wait, Spotify forces you to shuffle albums, now?

No, not as far as I know.  That's what I used to listen to the new Maiden album with yesterday.