I've been watching Rick and Morty as well (just finished first season). I think it's a good and funny show, but also kinda feel like it's something I'll mostly forget about once I'm done watching. The characters are written in such a cynical and kind of artificial way that I don't think I'll ever really connect with them.

I've been watching Rick and Morty as well (just finished first season). I think it's a good and funny show, but also kinda feel like it's something I'll mostly forget about once I'm done watching. The characters are written in such a cynical and kind of artificial way that I don't think I'll ever really connect with them.

It's a show that's absolutely not interested in character development. I don't consider that a flaw, I view the show as mostly a delivery mechanism for funny stuff and the occasional clever idea like Mr. Meseeks.

S2E2 spoiler proving my point about character development:

Morty saves an alien from assassination, leading to an elaborate action movie chase scene that kills so many people. Rick rubs his face in these deaths repeatedly. Then at the end he learns the alien wants to destroy all life, and he tearfully kills it to stop it doing so. It's clear that if the show were even slightly interested in character development, that would mess Morty up forever, and spawn approximately a season's worth of episodes exploring the consequences, but it doesn't.

I've been rewatching Hey Arnold for the first time since I was a kid and it's so good. I just finished the Christmas episode where Arnold tries to find Mr Hyunh's daughter which I always really liked and it's still super good. Also the episode where he goes to the baseball game because Mickey Kaline was so good now that I realized Mickey Kaline is Ron Perlman.

Also the music is absolutely top notch.

So Rick and Morty is better than I expected it to be. I basically expected it to be a sci-fi version of Ow! My Balls, where you're enjoying watching someone suffer, but the show's willing to undercut its own nihilism enough that I can enjoy the bizarre concepts without getting repelled.

Hey Arnold! is great!

Rick and morty is great!

Also, I recently watched all of Bojack Horseman, and holy shit that it is a good one. It gets fucking dark, though. Man.

Rick and Morty also gets real fucking dark, which makes me love it a million times more.

Bojack I've struggled with and stalled out halfway through season 1. Apparently I need to get all the way through the season to fall in love, but I dunno... is it bad if I want a little more levity from a show about a washed up horse celebrity?

Of all the things I liked as a kid and have revisited as an adult, I think Hey Arnold might hold up the best.

Rick and Morty also gets real fucking dark, which makes me love it a million times more.

Bojack I've struggled with and stalled out halfway through season 1. Apparently I need to get all the way through the season to fall in love, but I dunno... is it bad if I want a little more levity from a show about a washed up horse celebrity?

Rick and Morty does get dark, but eeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhh not like ACTUALLY dark, it's all still cased in this "everything's a joke" shell. Though, admittedly, I've only seen the first two episodes of season two.

Bojack gets like seriously dark. As in, it's a serious and consistent aspect of the show. It's more than just dark comedy, though there is a lot of that. It's also a good representation of what it's like to just never be happy and constantly be self-sabotaging and fuck. It's good, and it hurts.

I like them both, a lot, but for very different reasons.

Rick and Morty does get dark, but eeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhh not like ACTUALLY dark, it's all still cased in this "everything's a joke" shell. Though, admittedly, I've only seen the first two episodes of season two.

Just you wait. Rick and Morty isn't all dark all the time, but it goes to an actually dark place in season two. And then the episode ends and we snap back to the status quo as if nothing ever happened, it's weird.

Yeah, that definitely seems to be the theme for this season of Rick & Morty. Every episode is like a really fun and crazy roller coaster that inevitably goes off the rails and crashes horribly. In a good way. Have fun with the ending of ep 3, btw...

But I also think you're right about Bojack, that darkness pervades. Its quality is obvious and lovely but just so, so heavy. Probably why I'm having a hard time sticking with it as opposed to super-dark-but-mostly-pretending-otherwise shows like R&M or Venture Bros (or for 'real' sitcoms, It's Always Sunny or Black Books)

Interesting, I should probably catch up on Rick and Morty, then...

I had to pace myself with Bojack the same way I have to do with all-the-way, not-even-remotely-comedy drama shows. I ended up watching it at about the same rate as if it had been released on a weekly schedule.

Bojack season 2 left it on positive note I felt. That first season was tough though, especially going into it thinking "Here's a fun horseman cartoon with choice funny guy Will Arnett", and having it slowly reveal its dark nature was quite the experience.

Also, Twig is 100% right about Gravity Falls, great show!

Second season had some really dark shit, especially with the deer lady, I think.

You could say it ended on a positive note, but only because

he just straight up ran from his life. Bet a season three would start with that not working out too well, kinda like season two did.

Jesus fucking Christ Rick and Morty.

I'm on episode five of season two, since it's done.

Every episode ends darker and darker. First episode was basically a happy ending, and then this shit goddamn.

And we have to wait about 9 months for the next season, right? Yikes!

I just saw the first episode of "Be Cool, Scooby Doo!" and... I actually kinda liked it? I don't know why Daphne is literally Pinkie Pie, but it didn't really bothered me.

While the art looks a bit "Family Guy-ish", it's comedy wasn't and the mystery actually caught me off guard and didn't feel like cheap. Also Kate Miccuci is the voice of Velma, yay!

It's no Mystery Inc., but so far, so good?

I suspect Daphne is undergoing the same transformation that Betty and Veronica went through: 'female' is not sufficient characterisation in 2015, and that's basically all Daphne had.

I'm rewatching Doug, Judy is so much better than I remember as a kid, I guess I just didn't get her. Also Roger is way more of a "Helga" than the straight up bully I thought he was back then.

I just re-watched ALL of Jem and The Holograms while playing Suikoden and... It's just amazing!

They can't go an episode without having one character almost dying, SEVERAL musical videos and the most ludicrously amazing plots.  :tup:

post-6274-0-74898500-1445371964_thumb.png

post-6274-0-90567900-1445371943_thumb.png