Frenetic Pony

Nextbox 1080: The Reckoning

I don't have a problem with the design, looks pretty sharp to me. I do have a problem with the amount of room the fucker's going to take up on my TV stand though. I hope Sony have an ultra-compact version of the Eye shipping with the PS4.

4pTKsC5.jpg

(I've used Photo Shop, which is the same tool as used in CSI)

I missed the reveal because I was at a doctor's appointment.

I'm not sure why people are down on the look of the thing itself so much. It's a low-profile black box. That's literally exactly what I want all of my electronics to look like. It's pretty big; the controllers look like a step back to the original bulky "hamburger" controller for the original Xbox; and I'm not a fan of the massive vents, but I'd gladly take that over more overheating issues.

My big thing is... I'm not really sure why anyone would want it. That's not meant to be a knock at Microsoft or anything, really, but usually even if I know I won't ever be able to buy a console I'll at least take interest in it. Besides the mandatory graphical update and assumed "we will no longer be making new games for the Xbox 360," I'm not really sure what this new box can do that the old one couldn't, and it seems almost pre-emptively punishing with the mandatory installs, lack of backwards compatability, and used game fees. There's just no appeal for me at all.

Also, I hate the name. You can't call your new system the Xbox One! That's like if Sony decided to call the PS4 the PS1. It's the name that's been retroactively applied to your original console, whether you like it or not. You're sabotaging yourself by making your branding confusing, Microsoooooooft.

Call me crazy but I think they should've announced a WINDOWS TV that's just a Kinect with an ethernet plug.

Then packed it in with the new Xbox.

The Apple TV's got all the hottest latest Breaking Bad and Mad Men, it's $99, it's SO friendly for none-tech people...

it'd never sell if it came in the box with a damn Xbox controller. My parents don't wanna play Call of Duty, so why would they pay $300 more for this fucking powerhouse PC? The stuff they showed was basically of no interest to people like me, because people like me aren't watching Cable TV any more.

I think if they really wanted to be the all-in-one entertainment hub, they should've dropped the name "Xbox". Or dropped that expensive 8GB of RAM.

If you're buying an Xbox to download music and watch basketball- there are cheaper, smaller and more effective machines out there already built specifically for you.

Using advanced data manipulation algorythms, I've come to the conclusion that it's indeed slightly bigger. Science!

jF0SG2y.jpg

I wonder if this "all-in-one" entertainment device is really solving any existing problems. They put a big emphasis on using Kinect to navigate and everything but I honestly think I would want to go back to using a remote control after giving it a whirl. All of the existing consoles have all the streaming apps I could ever want and when I did have cable I never once thought it was an inconvenience to have a separate cable box. I actually would prefer separation so my wife isn't filling up the hard drive with every episode of Real Housewives on DVR. But I guess there's the cloud now. I'm sure that will alleviate some of the hard drive space problems.

I feel like this is the console for the cool kids and I'm just a fucking nerd in the corner.

I feel like this is the console for the cool kids and I'm just a fucking nerd in the corner.

Microsoft's mission statement in a nutshell.

Call me crazy but I think they should've announced a WINDOWS TV that's just a Kinect with an ethernet plug.

Then packed it in with the new Xbox.

The Apple TV's got all the hottest latest Breaking Bad and Mad Men, it's $99, it's SO friendly for none-tech people...

it'd never sell if it came in the box with a damn Xbox controller. My parents don't wanna play Call of Duty, so why would they pay $300 more for this fucking powerhouse PC? The stuff they showed was basically of no interest to people like me, because people like me aren't watching Cable TV any more.

I think if they really wanted to be the all-in-one entertainment hub, they should've dropped the name "Xbox". Or dropped that expensive 8GB of RAM.

If you're buying an Xbox to download music and watch basketball- there are cheaper, smaller and more effective machines out there already built specifically for you.

Yeah, this is what I find to be really frustrating. I get that Microsoft is trying to appeal to people outside of video game players, but they're doing it in a way that doesn't make any sense. Non-game players won't want the Xbox One for all the reasons you list (price probably being the biggest issue) and game players don't really care about all the entertainment features.

I'm just confused who Microsoft thinks they're marketing this to.

Also, I think it's pretty telling that there was zero mention of indie games during the Microsoft presser. That lack of indie inclusion, I find, is more damning of the next Xbox than the weird focus on live TV.

Ultimately we're just reacting to the marketing, though. In a couple of weeks and months, we'll know more actual information and real facts. That they chose to target the mainstream and focus on sportsball and TV doesn't mean they haven't paid attention to the gamerz aspect. For all we know, they may have tons of sweet gaming features they've chosen to sit on until E3, the gaming convention.

Also, force-feedback triggers.

Well, that was a giant waste of every gamers time.

Wake me up for E3 if they plan on announcing something.

PS: it's pretty ugly.

here's a freebie, MS marketing: call the thing Xbox Unity. gets you away from "xbone" and "but but but it's the third one"

same basic semantic/hermeneutic payload

Seriously, wtf.

I didn't watch the release or look at anything other than the pictures. My personal impression is that I think it looks fine and if there are games on it that I think I will enjoy then I'll buy it and if there aren't I won't.

...and people like to call indie games pretentious. Jesus fucking Christ. I almost want to create a drinking game to go with this shit-show. Take a shot every time someone says 'revolutionary' or 'change. Finish your drink if the phrase 'magical' or any derivation of it is uttered. (Yes someone actually said that during the conference, no kidding.)

This console is going to be terrible for Tourette's suffers. In the middle of a heated boss battle...

XBOX TV

FUCK

"Hey here's the Steam box, it's backwards-compatible back to 1999 and you already have a hundred games on it.

Also all of our highest production games for the passed 10 years are free.

Whether you wanna play GTA 5 or Papers Please: it is here, and it's cheaper than anywhere else."

Also, I think it's pretty telling that there was zero mention of indie games during the Microsoft presser. That lack of indie inclusion, I find, is more damning of the next Xbox than the weird focus on live TV.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/21/microsofts-message-to-indies-with-xbox-one-it-was-sort-of-wei/

...and people like to call indie games pretentious. Jesus fucking Christ. I almost want to create a drinking game to go with this shit-show. Take a shot every time someone says 'revolutionary' or 'change. Finish your drink if the phrase 'magical' or any derivation of it is uttered. (Yes someone actually said that during the conference, no kidding.)

Xbox-Drinking-Game-2.jpg

That sounds dangerous. Everyone will end up dying from alcohol poisoning.

For the magic trick of making the term 'magical' sexy, blame Apple. They started the Magical thing.

Of course, we as wizards are all about things being magical.

By the way, can we all just take a moment to appreciate that Microsoft finally got the d-pad right?