Frenetic Pony

Nextbox 1080: The Reckoning

This is really silly, the specs for this thing are only slightly better than my laptop. With the last generation of consoles I actually owned all 3. This time around I think I'll just invest in a really nice PC.

Guess that also partially answers the "always on" question. My initial reaction is goodbye Xbox, hello Sony. But I've really been meaning to transition to PC gaming anyways and now that the slate is clean and I'm not already invested in a console this might be a good time to do so.

I just want to play games. Is that too much to ask?

Hey kids, wanna buy an expensive box that's marginally less OK than most PC's and doesn't have any library of games to speak of? In that case, boy howdy, do I have a thing for you...!

I really wish video game enthusiasts had the capacity to recognize that products exist for more types of consumers than themselves. The amount of knee-jerk internet-asshole nerd-rage that happened over this event was embarrassing.

For those wondering, early next year will be the time to buy a new PC with a new graphics card.

The current gen of cards isn't being updated this year at all, and the only thing these consoles have is 8 gigs of ram with direct access to the video card. Something even mid tier cards should match next year. Other than that, mid tier cards already match up to the GPUs in these things, and the "8 core" CPU is a highly mobile oriented AMD CPU, a modernish Core i5 should easily outclass it.

So... yeah. Even with the advantage of devs being able to build specifically to a console's hardware and optimize the hell out of it, anyone that picks up a GTX 780 and a core i5 Haswell at the end of this year should be fine for, pretty much the next 6+ years in all likelihood .

I really wish video game enthusiasts had the capacity to recognize that products exist for more types of consumers than themselves. The amount of knee-jerk internet-asshole nerd-rage that happened over this event was embarrassing.

Yes, this product is designed for idiots. We acknowledge that idiots exist, will be impressed by being able to alt tab, and buy this. Doesn't mean we can't already make fun of them.

True. But it is frustrating to see "video game" consoles becoming something that is further removed from my favorite hobby. I think it is reasonable for people to be pissed off about the lack of games on what was thought to be a gaming device.

I don't agree that XBox One is a product. It sounds more like a service.

At any rate it's clear why EA turned their back on Nintendo completely. Microsoft literally made EA an offer they can't refuse. In exchange for inherently supporting EA's online pass feature (allowing EA to cancel it for popularity points and savings on costs of operation a little) EA gives MS exclusivity. Plus, EA can now get more monies instead of losing to used sales.

I never thought all that shit would culminate into what it did.

True. But it is frustrating to see "video game" consoles becoming something that is further removed from my favorite hobby. I think it is reasonable for people to be pissed off about the lack of games on what was thought to be a gaming device.

You show me where video game capability was sacrificed for the sake of being a general-consumer kind of product (or service, elmuerte is on to something) and I'll concede the point that video games are somehow doomed.

You show me where video game capability was sacrificed for the sake of being a general-consumer kind of product (or service, elmuerte is on to something) and I'll concede the point that video games are somehow doomed.

Whoa dude, you're interpolating a little bit. When did I mention anything about "video game capability" being sacrificed or that they are doomed? Jesus. I just made the observation that the focus on games seem to be falling by the wayside. This was based on the event that we all just saw. I saw sports games, sequels, and video game/tv show hybrids. No actual new games to get excited about.

Sony at least focused on games so they look more appealing right now. Please chill out.

The content you desire still exists. The difference is that it isn't the showcase. That's pretty much my point. It's just gaudy presentation that's fallen to the wayside. It may actually be a plus.

Yeah, it was dumb presentation for dumb people. No body is claiming the Big Dogs are waiting in the wings to eradicate video games.

One of the advantages of consoles have been that there has been very little between the game and the hardware, so the performance has been better than on a Windows PC with the same specs, plus the increase in performance/awesomeness over the years as developers figure it out. I wonder how all the services and background processes will affect that this time, and how much of the hardware is available for games at the most.

edit: Oh, and I'm intrigued by all the new IP they mentioned. Too bad they didn't show more, but marketing I guess.

The content you desire still exists. The difference is that it isn't the showcase. That's pretty much my point. It's just gaudy presentation that's fallen to the wayside. It may actually be a plus.

Cool. I respect that perspective and I'm sure it will be cool for a lot of people. As a mostly 360 gamer this generation I have become increasingly annoyed by all of the ads and tv content and movie services that have kind of taken over the system. It looks like that trend will continue with an even greater focus on mixing games with other media which I just don't have interest in. Great games will be made for gamers, no doubt, but I have options and the best options for me are those that have more of a focus on video games. Sorry for my dick response to your response. Video games.

VIDEO GAMES!

Are there any size comparisons yet? Sort of looked like XBOX ONE might be bigger than 360?

i'm a pc lifer, but there are a lot of people that can't afford that either in money or time. i'm pretty sure there is a pretty solid overlap between those people and used game buyers, but hey, where else you gonna step besides somebody throat?