Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Saturday Morning Streams

These Spelunky streams are outstanding for seeing how absurd talking about the game sounds out of context (as Nick mentioned).

Some highlights from the most recent stream include:

"Woah, fuck, it's a frog!"

"Throw me the dog."

"I hate that big bee so much!"

"I've never done the worm before."

"I've never done the worm before."

fatboy_slim-weapon_of_choice.jpg

I'm actually cracking up at work at all your well-chosen examples.  When watching the stream I liked the contrast between Nick's immediate, anguished cries, and Chris's slow moments of dread (like the big bee).

Tonight's Spelunky stream ended with a podcast-worthy discussion about game academia and what Chris and Nick think will be talked about in the future, so check that out when it goes up on the twitch archives if that sounds interesting. It featured an amazing soundtrack too.

Tonight's Spelunky stream ended with a podcast-worthy discussion about game academia and what Chris and Nick think will be talked about in the future, so check that out when it goes up on the twitch archives if that sounds interesting. It featured an amazing soundtrack too.

That stream was art.

Art.

Nothing (or thereabouts) against the daily spelunky, but it would be most diverting to see a new game pop up on the twitch.tv feed. Most of my favorite twitch.television episodes are when all-you-all try out a game you've never played before, embarking on a magical and interesting journey of discovery in the company of your friend Chat. Even if you cannot assemble the whole group, I've enjoyed the rare singleplayer streams too (I sort of hoped that "Grim Nick Breckon Plays Games That Come With Windows" was going to become a series, and even the Shadowrun episode was a fun way to discover that I probably didn't want to play that game).

You may of course play and broadcast whatever software product interactions you so desire, but I encourage you to chase the horizon of your dreams into uncharted worlds of astonishing adventure, for my fleeting amusement.

Nothing (or thereabouts) against the daily spelunky, but it would be most diverting to see a new game pop up on the twitch.tv feed. Most of my favorite twitch.television episodes are when all-you-all try out a game you've never played before, embarking on a magical and interesting journey of discovery in the company of your friend Chat. Even if you cannot assemble the whole group, I've enjoyed the rare singleplayer streams too (I sort of hoped that "Grim Nick Breckon Plays Games That Come With Windows" was going to become a series, and even the Shadowrun episode was a fun way to discover that I probably didn't want to play that game).

You may of course play and broadcast whatever software product interactions you so desire, but I encourage you to chase the horizon of your dreams into uncharted worlds of astonishing adventure, for my fleeting amusement.

Yeah, I was honestly hoping when Sean stated his desire to play Crusader Kings II that he'd stream it. Not that I'd know, because I had to unsubscribe after several late-night alerts about Spelunky streams woke me up.

The Spelunky stream is basically just free. I'd be doing the Daily Challenge every day even if I didn't stream it. It's not coming at the expense of other games; I've been out of town playing the game on a Bootcamped Mac laptop for the past week anyway. I'd be happy to stream other stuff if other Thumbs want to, and I think that may become more feasible in the coming months, but right now it hasn't been super practical for us.

The Spelunky stream is basically just free. I'd be doing the Daily Challenge every day even if I didn't stream it. It's not coming at the expense of other games; I've been out of town playing the game on a Bootcamped Mac laptop for the past week anyway. I'd be happy to stream other stuff if other Thumbs want to, and I think that may become more feasible in the coming months, but right now it hasn't been super practical for us.

Yeah, I figured the Spelunky stream was coming out of a different pool of time than the rest of life ^_^ (I have a similar pool of time for Desktop Dungeons, apparently). In any case, I will wait for the next Golden Age of Thumb Streams, or perhaps a Silver Age is fine, because during the Golden Age you were creating more hours of content than I actually had time to watch. =P

Apropos of nothing: I hear Pikmin 2 Versus Mode is pretty good.

Any hope for a Thumbs DayZ stream in the near future? It kills me with all the great stories that there hasn't been one yet.

We still don't have internet bandwidth sufficient to stream from the office. Hopefully soon!

Apropos of nothing: I hear Pikmin 2 Versus Mode is pretty good.

Now that Jake has a Wii U, the Thumbs could totally do a Pikmin 3 multiplayer stream.

Now that Jake has a Wii U, the Thumbs could totally do a Pikmin 3 multiplayer stream.

YES!

OK, here's the scoop.

Nick Breckon reset the password for our xSplit account and I don't know what it is. BUT I know have 35 down/10up at home which means I can probably stream some Day-Z exploits. I think it's harder to twitch-stalk and assassinate in the standalone version so I would expect some DayZ streaming sometime in the next week or two (but if it's not on the weekend it'll be at night).

OK, here's the scoop.

Nick Breckon reset the password for our xSplit account and I don't know what it is. 

xSplit? I'm sorry, but pfffffffffffffffffffffffff. You guys should get OBS, it's way easier to set up and manage stuff, and it gives you real time feedback on bitrate, framerate drops, etc, while also not being as CPU intensive as xSplit.

AND IT'S FREE~

Here's a link:

http://obsproject.com/

If ya need help setting up, you can PM me.

I would definitely second OBS as a worthy counterpart to xSplit, hopefully with slightly less derision. It's what I use and even though I'm super basic with overlays and stuff it seems to work well.

I found it measurably more difficult to set up than xsplit... in that nothing actually worked. No game, no camera, no indication that streaming was working. :(

With xsplit my experience has been: you just drag a bunch of images and games and cameras in and it just goes. Maybe I was missing something fundamental with OBS.

Nick Breckon reset the password for our xSplit account and I don't know what it is. BUT I know have 35 down/10up at home which means I can probably stream some Day-Z exploits. I think it's harder to twitch-stalk and assassinate in the standalone version so I would expect some DayZ streaming sometime in the next week or two (but if it's not on the weekend it'll be at night).

God damn, Congrats Nick strikes again!

I hope you can somehow squeeze the password out of him and start streaming again soon.

I found it measurably more difficult to set up than xsplit... in that nothing actually worked. No game, no camera, no indication that streaming was working. :(

With xsplit my experience has been: you just drag a bunch of images and games and cameras in and it just goes. Maybe I was missing something fundamental with OBS.

Like I said, if ya'll need help setting it up, I'll be glad to help! But I do agree xSplit is indeed more easier to navigate, but if F. Nick doesn't give you guys the password, there's always OBS. Once you know what to do, it's mega super easy to set up a stream, camera and with a preview window all in one.

Also, is xSplit still subscription based? That was perhaps the main reason why I stopped using it along with CPU problems.

OK, here's the scoop.

Woohoo! I can't wait to hear the sound of the soda opening next to you! 

Sean's DayZ twitch stream got a bit... steamy.

[11:39pm] <chingow>  anyone in this chat room gay or bi?

[11:40pm] <geyseks> no

[11:40pm] <thecineaste03> Uh, what

[11:40pm] <bkbro> not me

[11:40pm] <juv3nal> not me

[11:40pm] <chingow> geyseeks, you know a guy?

[11:40pm] <thecineaste03> wat

[11:40pm] <geyseks> No I just was 14 when I picked my internet name :C

[11:40pm] <graysonevans> what is happening right now?

[11:40pm] <chingow> geyseeks

[11:40pm] <thecineaste03> I have

[11:40pm] <thecineaste03> No clue

[11:41pm] <juv3nal> lol

[11:41pm] <graysonevans> why is this person hitting on all of us?

[11:41pm] <chingow> so youre 18 now right?

[11:41pm] <bkbro> this took an interesting turn

[11:41pm] <graysonevans> what??

[11:41pm] <thecineaste03> HAHAHAA

[11:41pm] <graysonevans> WUT

[11:41pm] <juv3nal> hahaha

[11:41pm] <thecineaste03> WHAT IS HAPPENING

[11:41pm] <dtabacco> INTERNET!

[11:41pm] <bkbro> welcome to day z stream and guy pickup room

[11:42pm] <thecineaste03> Totally screencapping this

[11:42pm] <subbes> harrumph

[11:42pm] <thecineaste03> I'm dying

[11:42pm] <chingow> anyone here into bitcoin/litecoin?

[11:42pm] <thecineaste03> HAHAHAAH

[11:42pm] <juv3nal> 69/m/the internet looking 2 cyber

[11:42pm] <game_dreamer> dogecoin ftw

[11:42pm] <tychocelchuuu> Does anyone here like movies with gladiators

[11:42pm] <sadfinger> 11 is a lot of killed people

[11:42pm] <graysonevans> this man cares not of our games

[11:42pm] <ricin> hey cool. trolls. can we pause a sec? i need to go make some popcorn

[11:42pm] <chingow> doge, nice

[11:42pm] <subbes> that's my trigger word

[11:42pm] <graysonevans> ya sad, It was a horrible day for me

[11:42pm] <thestalkinghead> i have been obsessed with the castle doctoring for a while

[11:42pm] <tychocelchuuu> Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

[11:43pm] <chingow> you mine or buy doge coin?

/kick chingow wow, much ban

[11:43pm] <tychocelchuuu> 'bout time

[11:43pm] <thecineaste03> Wow

[11:43pm] <game_dreamer> thank you, moderator

[11:43pm] <thecineaste03> That was surreal

[11:43pm] <subbes> Someone beside me was laughing and encouraging me to let it play out

[11:43pm] <thecineaste03> Oh goddammit

[11:43pm] <subbes> but then he mentioned BTC and that's too much

[11:43pm] <game_dreamer> Haha