darthbator

Return of the Steam Box!

I feel like kickstarter helps the Linux platform as well. At least anecdotally I see lots of kickstarters where the target platform is PC/Mac/Linux

I just wonder what controller they're doing. Hopefully not a dualshock like gamepad.

Those keyboard pants from Cowboy Bebop: The Movie.

Three buttons is enough for everybody

It's enough for three people, at LEAST!

They'd be shooting themselves in the foot massively if it was only 3 buttons

I think its just an illustration to hint at something else with a 3 in the title...?

They'd be shooting themselves in the foot massively if it was only 3 buttons

I think its just an illustration to hint at something else with a 3 in the title...?

WHOA!

No. It's pretty clear that they are announcing the controller one button at a time.

So what do you guys about how this will possibly influence Steam's already powerful sway over the PC games market?

Especially in light of stories like this and others: http://flippfly.com/news/race-the-sun-a-month-after-launch-losing-steam/ which suggest it's Greenlight or the highway if you're trying to get your indie game sold on a PC.

Ultimately what makes PC games great is the open and grassroots nature of the PC ecosystem, and while Steam doesn't necessarily represent as closed an ecosystem as your average console, it is curated (even if its the users doing the curating) and thus is defacto somewhat closed. And with a console out, EVERY dev is gonna want their game on it, and would potentially be losing out on a huge market if Greenlight fails them (which it is likely to do, statistically).

Obviously no clue what the actual box will entail, just thinking aloud.

At this point we still don't know what the announcement is, so there's no way to know how it will influence the PC game market.

On a related note, the PC I bought this week is a HTPC for my bedroom. It's running Linux (obviously) and I also installed Steam. I have about 89 Linux games available to me (of the <400 I have on Steam). Despite the PC having a Geforce 610M it is an Atom CPU, so not a lot of games will run great. Also, I use a wireless keyboard with touch pad. I tried one of my PS3 controllers, but it doesn't work out of the box. Either way, with my current set up, FTL is playable really well (the control scheme works perfectly with my kayboard/keypad).

Getting Steam on the Linux system wasn't that difficult. I'm a Debian person, but sort of use Ubuntu for desktops. Installing Steam is easy as shit. And after that, it's just Steam. Install a game, start it, play it. Big screen mode still kind of sucks. I prefer minimalistic stuff. Big screen more is slow and and useless animations and graphics. It's like those dumb XMB things, and probably the xbox ui stuff.

Well I don't think there's no way. After all, we already know how Steam influences the market. It's not too hard to extrapolate how Steam in the livingroom space might effect things.

I'd just rather talk about stuff like that than pontificate over half-life 3 ad nauseum.

Well I don't think there's no way. After all, we already know how Steam influences the market. It's not too hard to extrapolate how Steam in the livingroom space might effect things.

I'd just rather talk about stuff like that than pontificate over half-life 3 ad nauseum.

Did you say Half Life 3? HALF LIFE 3????? HAAAAALF LIIIIIIIFE THREEEEEEE!!!!

how-to-draw-tom-smith-the-chocolate-guy-

They've told Geoff Keighley that they'll make three announcements.

So. 

Half-life 3.

Half-life 3.

Half-life 3.

Episodes.

Actually, I am very curious about the Steam Box. I want a gaming PC but can't afford one... so I wouldn't really care about the living room, I would love something I can use as a PC that I can actually afford. Not really holding my breath.

No. It's pretty clear that they are announcing the controller one button at a time.

:shifty: :shifty: :shifty:

:tup:

I think they should just announce Half-Life 4, and write it so that it constantly refers to the events of a theoretical Half-Life 3.