Frenetic Pony

Disney buys Lucasfilm

Yep: http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/disney-acquires-lucasfilm-star-wars-creator/

That's... pretty much that. Interesting at the very least. And good in its own way, Lucas has been a disorganized cheapskate. A billionaire that refuses to film his "Star Wars" tv series unless someone else funds the entire thing and yet still allows him to retain control.

That being said: HEY DISNEY JOSS WHEDON AS STAR WARS DIRECTOR DO IT GOD DAMN YOU!

Ok, I'm done.

Now there's a slim chance of an actually good Star Wars movie at some point. And god I hope the original cuts of the films surface on Blu-ray.

More interested in Pixar's Maniac Mansion movie.

Unfortunately, I have no interest in Star Wars, as I find it boring, but the Lucas conglomerate has a ton of other properties in which I AM interested. As far as I understand, this deal includes EVERYTHING, right? LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, etc.?

I mean, even if it doesn't... that's pretty huge. But I hope it does. Sort of. Do I? I don't know. Hmmm.

Lucas is still hanging around as a creative consultant, sadly. That was enough to torpedo the latest Indiana Jones.

It was actually pretty funny reading this when it popped up on my newsfeed. My brain was doing somersaults to find where the punchline was.

Edit: That's a good point, brkl. Disney's been good about restoring and releasing the original cuts of the Miyazaki films they butchered back in the nineties, there's no reason they wouldn't see the fan demand for the original cuts of the trilogy as a potential cash cow, now that they're freed of Lucas' revisionist vanity.

And god I hope the original cuts of the films surface on Blu-ray.

Literally the only thing I'm concerned about from this whole brouhaha.

I now have a few questions:

1. Can this possibly change anything drastically? And please, don't read that in a rhetorical, cynical tone – I really don't know much about the history and politics of these companies. Is some huge barrier gone, or does some huge possibility now present itself, other than the shuffling about of presidents, bosses and directors? edit: Okay, so George Lucas does no longer control Star Wars like he did?
  2. Any chance of something interesting happening with video games?

Disney owns Lucasfilm & Lucasarts. Holy shit.

Episode 7 coming in 2015 so they are really kicking the gears rolling.

This also means that Disney owns Howard the Duck now.

Also maybe even this would mean the original movies coming in bluray form without special edition changes.

And maybe the old adventure games will finally arrive to GoG. They are right now negotiating with one of the three: Microsoft, Take2 and Lucasarts/Disney.

finance.yahoo.com/news/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd-195100740.html

I now have a few questions

1. Any chance of something interesting happening with video games?

Possibly, but not in the way we'd hope for. Disney largely has absolutely no interest in making a video game we'd consider interesting, it's all very much a numbers game and the fact Epic Mickey 2 exists is a little baffling.

I worked for Disney during a time they were trying to make an honest push for it under Buena Vista, but it was pretty clear that it wasn't working and they pulled out of the business. Epic Mickey is the last remnants of that time (And as Sean described at one point, existed before that time too)

The own some of the best properties now, it's a shame they won't get serious about gaming because I'm sure there is a lot of talent out there that could produce something spectacular.

While I'm not really super interested in new Star Wars movies, I am at least curious to see what they'll do with the franchise. Also wishing we'll see other Lucasfilm/Lucasarts properties make a comeback in some way. Pixar Animation based on a Lucasarts adventure game? The 0.00001% chance of that happening will keep me up at night.

Pixar Animation based on a Lucasarts adventure game? The 0.00001% chance of that happening will keep me up at night.

I know!

I know.

God.

I know.

I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but I bought the bluray version of the original trilogy a while back. I didn't mind the extra rock at the entrance of the cave in front of R2D2, it was actually pretty well done. However, the dinosaurs were just horrible and completely unnecessary, as was the holo-Christensen at the end of episode VI. I just can't figure out who they were aiming to please with these changes.

So yeah, I'm all for getting a restraining order for George Lucas on all of his films. I have no idea how Disney will affect the situation, though.

Wishlist:

1. Star Wars license much better used in video games. Give me something better than Force Unleashed, please.

2. Original cuts finally rereleased on blu-ray. No more of this double remastered garbage.

3. ILM and Skywalker Sound makes Disney/Pixar movies even better. Hell yeah.

I'm cool with this. I'd rather Star Wars be tied, even indirectly, with Marvel and Pixar, than left in the hands of George.

Btw JonCole, Skywalker Sound already handles the sound for all Pixar films. So I dunno how much will change there. Also, Pixar gives technical support to ILM with Renderman. So I still don't think much will change on that account.

But one thing I think is interesting here is that Disney, although less famously than George Lucas, already change things when they rerelease their films. Usually it's minor things, like touching up the colors, but they've been known to reanimate shots from time to time. Usually it's the original artists who have shots they didn't like and wanted to redo, but people do complain about it. So I guess the tradition shall live on.

The last thing Lucasfilms did before being bought by Disney was license Angry Birds Star Wars... There is no way Disney could do worse.

This probably bad news for Dark Horse, since they do the Star Wars comics... It's likely to be transferred to Marvel?

Also....

tumblr_mcq68tau3r1qlq12ko6_1280.png

I'm cool with this. I'd rather Star Wars be tied, even indirectly, with Marvel and Pixar, than left in the hands of George.

Btw JonCole, Skywalker Sound already handles the sound for all Pixar films. So I dunno how much will change there. Also, Pixar gives technical support to ILM with Renderman. So I still don't think much will change on that account.

But one thing I think is interesting here is that Disney, although less famously than George Lucas, already change things when they rerelease their films. Usually it's minor things, like touching up the colors, but they've been known to reanimate shots from time to time. Usually it's the original artists who have shots they didn't like and wanted to redo, but people do complain about it. So I guess the tradition shall live on.

I figured there was already some crossover, but that's rad. Between the licensing which I'm sure Disney will lovelovelove, that kinda stuff makes this deal a no-brainer.

Lucas is still hanging around as a creative consultant, sadly. That was enough to torpedo the latest Indiana Jones.

It was actually pretty funny reading this when it popped up on my newsfeed. My brain was doing somersaults to find where the punchline was.

Actually, and against internet popular belief, Crystal Skull wasn't Lucas' fault. His story didn't call for Nuking the Fridge, or Indie having a kid, or just about anything that ruined it. The only thing it DID call for was the communists and aliens. Which frankly I thought worked alright for moving it into a 50's/older Indie era, though obviously and retrospectively not as well as something like Uncharted 2's story might have, for example. Still, point is Spielberg ruined it, not Lucas.

In general I don't care, but my main issue is just Disney acquiring yet another large chunk of the entertainment industry. I guess we are all supposed to marvel in the way the biggest media company just grows bigger and bigger, and applaud Walt's legacy of domination and multifaceted ownership of entertainment devices, but I don't morally agree with companies this large at all. To me it's bad news all around, but I also don't really give a damn about Star Wars or Disney animation so eh.

Pixar Animation based on a Lucasarts adventure game? The 0.00001% chance of that happening will keep me up at night.

I don't want this at all. Last thing I need is to hear a story about Bernard going on a heartwarming journey with silly comedic pit stops along the way only to find out who he really is and what life means to him.

Indie having a kid

I'm going to say that that was actually one bit that probably had the most potential. Especially at the beginning, I really enjoyed the subtle father-son dynamic that was going on, and I was kind of looking forward to a sort of passing-of-the-torch, where the aging Indy, who can't do all the cool athletic adventuring he did, ended up mentoring his successor.

The problem, instead, was that the rest of the movie was crap and didn't make any sense.