Frenetic Pony

Disney buys Lucasfilm

A young Han Solo film is almost what Plinkett predicted to drive the last nail into the Star Wars franchise. To reiterate his point: Solo has a perfect, encapsulated story arc in the original films (provided he shoots first). His story before this point (how did he meet Chewy? My, what an unmissable tale that will be) is completely irrelevant.

A Boba Fett film, I can see. That was an interesting side character that brought some flavor, but didn't have any arc of his own. So, there's grounds there for some exposition. I mean, apart from the extremely important events of his youth on Kamino, of course.

To be fair, some of the Expanded Universe stuff on Han Solo's smuggling career is really good. I've reread a couple of the Han Solo Adventures and they still hold up. Maybe Abrams or the scriptwriter has read them too? Keep in mind, we're now free of Lucas' prideful insistence that third-party material never be incorporated into the franchise.

the stuff they use in Abrams films is a plugin that one of his guys wrote, that by now EVERYONE uses..

Watching the awful Total Recall remake, which is the film people should be mocking for its use of lens flare, reminded me of this post. I googled it and JJ Abrams says all the lens flares in ST were done live, not added later.

I hope he doesn't pull too far back on them in the sequel, as I thought they worked really well and it would be sad to see the look of the films mismatched because of some internet whinging (not you JKO, the "TOO MUCH LENS FLARE" crowd).

EDIT: duh, I just realised that of course they have lens flare in the visual effects shots as well.

Huh, that's a pretty impressive amount of lens flare they got going then.

Like you say, the lens flares in the CG shots are computer rendered, though. I just assumed the rest must be too, they're so over the top. But using the right lenses you can probably get that look. We used some old Russian lenses at work the other day and just pointing it anywhere near a light produced the biggest lens flares. Ever. Biggest lens flares ever.

Oh, and yeah I hope he maintains the look for the Star Trek sequel. I thought it was great. I just hope (and assume; they're super talented people after all) that they make Star Wars look considerably different.

Huh, that's a pretty impressive amount of lens flare they got going then.

Just watching the extras, apparently shooting on film with an anamorphic lens, plus spotlights, mirrors etc helped a lot.

I kind of want to see the film again with this new knowledge.

Star Trek went down so smooth that you hardly noticed it was there. I hope Star Trek Into Darkness (pretty good title btw) is a tougher pill to swallow.

I had a tough time swallowing young Kirk's completely accidental meeting with future Spock

I saw that student film years ago and enjoyed it. At this point I like that Solo looks like Harrison Ford coupled with Jeff Goldblum.

Hotdamn

Michael Arndt no longer writing Star Wars VII - now Lawrence Kasdan and JJ Abrams

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=703390

Story scrapped? Complete rewrite?

I don't know, I didn't get a distinct impression one way or another from the press release. Maybe Arndt is still credited with "story" and now the actual "script" is being done? It happens a heck of a lot. Lucas is responsible for the "story" of every Indy movie, and Cameron is going to be credited for the story of Avatar 2-4 but the actual scripts are being written by others.

Excellent news! Sounds from the press release like they're keeping Arndt's story (or the story he was given to work on?), but I guess they could end up starting from scratch...

Kasdan pulled a Lucas and sort of deteriorated in skill over time, but maybe he'll pull it together this time. He's got Star Wars cred, that's for sure.

By all means, pierce through the veil of Hollywood BS about friendly break-ups and keeping scripts. Even at this high level, writer are switched in and out like pieces of meat, everyone is expendable and development chugs along by the whim of the latest directorial tantrum. Hollywood is a scary place.

By all means, pierce through the veil of Hollywood BS about friendly break-ups and keeping scripts. Even at this high level, writer are switched in and out like pieces of meat, everyone is expendable and development chugs along by the whim of the latest directorial tantrum. Hollywood is a scary place.

Depends entirely on the project and who's involved. If you're under someone like Bruckheimer that's certainly true. If you are James Cameron you are god emperor among mere mortals. Most projects end up more towards that Bruckheimer end of the spectrum unfortunately, but it's certainly not true for EVERY project.