Roderick

Feminism

Uh, what would count as something that does have something to do with gender if colors, activities, and so on don't have anything to do with gender? Gender is a social concept that picks out various things that we choose to see as gendered - it's not like there's a master list of objective scientific genders out there in the world with a corresponding list of related properties that we deviate from at our peril. If pink is a girl color then pink is a girl color - it's not like we can ever be wrong about that.

Nothing. There is indeed no master list. That's my point; that it's all a bunch of baloney; the whole concept of gender is made-up, a social construct, a cultural product. In that sense, I would argue it is wrong to gender the color pink, because gender has nothing to do with a color, not inherently. We should stop talking about gender in terms that we don't agree with, and that starts with not divvying up random aspects among perceived genders.

On the one hand, those are just two examples. I'm sure if you poked around you could find a female streamer with totally decent chat and a male streamer that was as gross (though you'd have to work pretty hard to find one as grossly objectifying of the streamer himself). On the other hand, they're probably fairly representative of the overall community, or set of communities, that frequent game streams.

Possibly the worst part is that anyone who wants to avoid chat like that then has to avoid the chat of female streamers in general, which creates a vicious cycle of douchebag.

Why is baking a 'female thing'? Why is appreciating flowers, or sowing for that matter?

Or sewing for that matter.

"You don't make up a story like that in a male dominated industry, that exists within a patriarchy"

I don't really want to resurrect the Allen discussion, so just: thank you for calling me out on this.

I don't really want to resurrect the Allen discussion, so just: thank you for calling me out on this.

You don't want an... Alien Resurrection?

edit: wait shit you said Allen damnit

You don't want an... Alien Resurrection?

edit: wait shit you said Allen damnit

I did and almost wrote the same thing. Owned.

I didn't tweet this because it would be so lacking in context there and people might assume inappropriate/untrue things about my personal politics, but I'm curating a show with about 200 entries at the moment, each of which had to submit a video, and: Sad voiceover girlfriends are the sad etsy boyfriends of video games.

I didn't tweet this because it would be so lacking in context there and people might assume inappropriate/untrue things about my personal politics, but I'm curating a show with about 200 entries at the moment, each of which had to submit a video, and: Sad voiceover girlfriends are the sad etsy boyfriends of video games.

tumblr_mb63zg9z931qhlsr9o1_400.jpg

This dude is so close to me that it is scary. I do it to myself though. I'm currently wearing a shirt of the same color with a sharpie drawing of a weasel and a boat on it (and some geometric doodles). I even have a similar hat on(but with no earrings). I shit you not. I'm going to go take a picture.

tumblr_n0sc7z5Hkm1s7gx5to1_1280.jpg

I fuckin told you.

Selfies in the Feminism thread; this is how my Monday morning is going.

Variable. When a somewhat bored sounding woman is talking about dragons and magic it does get really reminiscent of sad etsy boyfriends though, and I can't help but think they'd probably make much more interesting games than the ones they're doing VO for, if they had the urge to and felt it was accessible, then I get sad that making games is still such a fucking heavily gendered pursuit.

Clyde: Nothing wrong with line drawings of animals on t-shirts *cough*

Hmm? I don't get it.

In the past few days my job means I've watched a bunch of trailers and preview videos with narration about dragons, magic, ruthless megacorps etc. by really unenthusiastic sounding women.

This dude is so close to me that it is scary. I do it to myself though. I'm currently wearing a shirt of the same color with a sharpie drawing of a weasel and a boat on it (and some geometric doodles). I even have a similar hat on(but with no earrings). I shit you not. I'm going to go take a picture.

tumblr_n0sc7z5Hkm1s7gx5to1_1280.jpg

I fuckin told you.

Selfies in the Feminism thread; this is how my Monday morning is going.

Man that is some even stick distribution on those skins.

I mean, uh, feminism.

My mental image of Clyde was completely inaccurate in almost every way. Apart from the hat. And the probable interest in jazz timings.

Anyway, a Twitchfilm columnist protests against The Lego Movie's conflicting messages:

"The LEGO Movie deserves to be an equal-opportunity inspiration. But a movie that has been, in part, about the importance of stepping outside the rule set to use construction toys to explore creativity, concludes with a joke about how there are some rules that aren't made to be broken: like how girls really suck at LEGO."

(Destroy All Monsters: Girls and Lego)