Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

Harvest Moon: A New Beginning released last November: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008A27UMG. There's also apparently a port of Tale of Two Towns as well.

It's less not being the mayor and more that my Wife has already dug every spot, picked up every shell, and harvested every fruit for the day before I get on. Plus, by the time she's done most of the shops are closed :)

I hadn't heard of Rune Factory, I'll take a look at that and see if it will scratch the same itch.

Any idea how those two Harvest Moon games stack up to the previous entries? 

I really need to get a 3DS and a good Harvest Moon game just might be enough to push me over the edge.

I haven't played a Harvest Moon game since the second one, so I wouldn't be the one to make that judgement call even I had the game (I'm considering buying one myself.)

I'm seeing mostly 8/10 reviews for A New Beginning, talking mostly about the new house and player clothes customization options, which sounds a lot like Animal Crossing. Amazon reviews are also very positive.

Opinion of Two Towns seems to be mixed, but then it's a port.

I haven't played a Harvest Moon game since the second one, so I wouldn't be the one to make that judgement call even I had the game (I'm considering buying one myself.)

When you say the second one do you mean the one on Game Boy or Harvest Moon 64? (Harvest Moon 64 was so good, Game Boy one not so much)

I'm seeing mostly 8/10 reviews for A New Beginning, talking mostly about the new house and player clothes customization options, which sounds a lot like Animal Crossing. Amazon reviews are also very positive.

I have always found it hard to trust reviews of Harvest Moon games. I still remember Nintendo Power only giving Harvest Moon for the SNES a 7/10 back in the late 90's. I bought it anyways and easily dumped over 100 hours into it across multiple playthroughs. That being said, 8/10 from a review site would probably translate to 10/10 for me.

I haven't played every Harvest Moon game, but the only one I was ever able to enjoy was the original SNES version. I've tried with a Gameboy Color version, PS1 version, and Gamecube version.

I really loved the SNES version. I've also not tried Rune Factory, although I think I'd love that. Hnngh. I might try again with this A New Beginning, though. I really want to like a Harvest Moon game again. The original is one of my favorite games for the SNES.

I haven't played every Harvest Moon game, but the only one I was ever able to enjoy was the original SNES version. I've tried with a Gameboy Color version, PS1 version, and Gamecube version.

I really loved the SNES version. I've also not tried Rune Factory, although I think I'd love that. Hnngh. I might try again with this A New Beginning, though. I really want to like a Harvest Moon game again. The original is one of my favorite games for the SNES.

The one on Gamecube you played could have been the crappy one (A Wonderful Life I think it was?). They had another one on Gamecube called Magical Melody that was absolutely fantastic; I even have it as one of my top games on the favorite games thread. My top 3 Harvest Moon games are Magical Melody>Harvest Moon 64>Harvest Moon (SNES).

Unfortunately there have been some pretty crappy Harvest Moon games and it sounds like those are the ones you got stuck playing. The bad ones can be pretty boring but the good ones are usually really good.

The one on Gamecube you played could have been the crappy one (A Wonderful Life I think it was?). They had another one on Gamecube called Magical Melody that was absolutely fantastic; I even have it as one of my top games on the favorite games thread. My top 3 Harvest Moon games are Magical Melody>Harvest Moon 64>Harvest Moon (SNES).

Unfortunately there have been some pretty crappy Harvest Moon games and it sounds like those are the ones you got stuck playing. The bad ones can be pretty boring but the good ones are usually really good.

A Wonderful Life is the one I played on Gamecube. U:

The last Harvest Moon games i played were Harvest Moon DS, which is apparently one of the worst games in the entire series, and the first Rune Factory, which was pretty cool.

My girlfriend put well over 100 hours into Harvest Moon Animal Parade. She didn't stop until she lost interest in her New Game + because of all the grinding involved. I was getting so sick of hearing the summer time cicadas by the end of it.

She doesn't really play games, but if she does she gets hooked. She tried a PS2 and this strange looking Gamecube Harvest Moon with big heads and could not get into them. She also tried one of the earlier DS ones on my DS but hated the control scheme and I guess a bunch of waiting between dialogue and animations. So I don't know if that's a testiment to Animal Parade but she pretty much lost interest in any others that she tried after picking them up from the used games shop. She might give Tree of Tranquility on Wii a go, but she said she'd rather play a newer one than Animal Parade because she liked how fucking crazy jam packed Animal Parade was.

I don't think I've never NOT liked a Harvest Moon game, I may have not beaten them, but I liked them a lot. As a matter of fact, I recently beat Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny.

It was kinda like the futuristic Harvest Moon, except you have monsters you befriend tending the crops instead of the robot, my only BIG complaint is that you have to beat the game to get married and even they force to do a very time consuming quest which I couldn't be bothered with.

It seems Europe isn't getting the new 3DS Harvest Moon game until the end of August and the Tale of Two Cities one exists only digitally in Europe? I would be tempted to get it, but since I just beat Rune Factory....Yeah, I'd rather wait.

Ok, fudge it. 3ds xl is in my shopping basket. I'm planning on getting:

Fire emblem

Either mario 2D or 3D. Leaning 3d unless anyone has any major qualms.

Something else? I think ill skip on animal crossing as it it not really my thing.

Any suggesties for which mario and which other game I should get? Is there any hilarious Kirkby games in the pipeline. I loved power paintbrush and mass attack so much.

Get Super Mario 3D Land for sure. There's a bunch of really good games on sale on amazon right now, and I hear Kid Icarus is really something. You could grab a handful of eshop games as well, like Pushmo or some Virtual Console stuff.

Alas, I am in Europe. Fire emblem and something else shall keep me occupied I'm sure while I wait for some bargains.

Everyone really talks up Super Mario 3D Land and really talks down the New Super Mario Bros one. If it's been a while since you've played Ocarina of Time, I can highly recommend the 3DS port, it looks fantastic and the game absolutely holds up.

I've been playing a bit of Fire Emblem, and I'd kill for some Valkyria Chronicles games on 3DS. They made two of them for PSP, so there's no reason it shouldn't work right?

If it's been a while since you've played Ocarina of Time, I can highly recommend the 3DS port, it looks fantastic and the game absolutely holds up.

Or never! It's in my list.

Ordered with Fire Emblem. I got some store credit to use up in GameStop so I shall wander in there when I get a chance. Woo.

Also, the guy next to me in work saw me browsing amazon and it turns out he has one too. Despite working in the rural part of rural Ireland (it's rather rural) I may yet get some street passes.

I'd definitely recommend trying out Donkey kong Country Returns 3D, if you didn't play it on Wii.

When you say the second one do you mean the one on Game Boy or Harvest Moon 64? (Harvest Moon 64 was so good, Game Boy one not so much)

I have always found it hard to trust reviews of Harvest Moon games. I still remember Nintendo Power only giving Harvest Moon for the SNES a 7/10 back in the late 90's. I bought it anyways and easily dumped over 100 hours into it across multiple playthroughs. That being said, 8/10 from a review site would probably translate to 10/10 for me.

It must have been the N64 one. I was somehow under the impression that there were two out for SNES.

I think I'm going to grab a copy of the new one, but I'll wait a little while for my wife's Animal Crossing habit too cool a bit first.

Edit: Maybe by then Rune Factory 4 will be out and I can compare and contrast.

I found my copies if Henry Hatsworth and Valkyrie Plume. I only played the latter for around a hour before retiring my DS. Excited to play these too. HH is one of my fave DS games.

Hey there. Long time lurker just popping in to say that this thread finally convinced me to get a 3DS; well, this and all the New Leaf mentions in my Twitter feed, even though I'm probably not interested in that game.

I own a DS Lite, but though it's a great little system I haven't used it much for years. I guess the size of my Steam library is mostly to blame for that, plus not having many opportunities for portable gaming. If I'm out somewhere I probably have stuff to be doing, and otherwise the PC just consumes all my attention.

That's changed for the next year, as I'm two months into a year of travels in Europe with my partner, having left all gaming devices bar my phone back in Sydney. I've been really missing playing games with tactile controls, and realised this is the perfect opportunity to play some portable games without so many distractions. I'm also not interested in carrying around a bunch of cartridges, so Nintendo releasing all their games via the eShop kinda tipped the balance.

So I picked up a black 3DSXL yesterday. Sadly I'm in Italy and don't speak the language, so navigating the potential discounts wasn't really possible, and I ended up spending €200 (plus €10 for a charger, because obviously that's an optional extra...)

I feel like I've chosen the worst possible way to jump on this bandwagon, in some respects. I apparently missed out on the buy-three-get-one-free promotion by a week, and since it's a European console I apparently can't even register it to my Club Nintendo account in Australia. (Any Europeans want some free stars? I'll send you the code.) Prices for full release games in the Australian store are just insane, if they even get a release at all, and switching regions to compare prices is a big hassle. Missing out on all the Ambassador stuff is a bummer too; I wouldn't mind if they were actually available for sale, but I want me some GBA games! Damnit Nintendo, even when you get digital somewhat right you're still insane.

Aanyway, despite all that I'm feeling positive about my purchase. There's lots of cool sounding download-only stuff, so I'm planning to stick with just one full release game at a time. First up is Super Mario 3D Land. In download I've got the Switch Force games, Starship Damrey, and Picross. After that probably Luigi's Mansion, then maybe Etrian Odyssey, Fire Emblem, and Donkey Kong Country. Looking forward to it all!

I also got a 3DS thanks to people going on about Animal Crossing. Thankfully, Sydney's not bad for StreetPass. PAX will be even better, but Sydney's pretty good.

I got a 3Ds yestersay too! Fire elblem is rad and difficult, I had to tone it down to normal. I also got zelda: link's awakening. Nostalgia oozing out of me right now.

The wahoo is expensive for games, do they ever have sales or the like?