Sombre

Spelunky!

It is possible, though extremely rare, for a block to be there and the shop to be completely inaccessible.  I've had it happen to me a couple times.  Getting in without triggering the shopkeeper is tricky.

On an unrelated note, I've been considering recording my daily runs again.  Don't know if there's still any interest in that kind of thing though.

When a lot of people were recording runs, I would go through them once or twice a week and just watch the last 30 seconds of the streams. There's something about the end of a run that I never get tired of. 

So yeah, I would watch you die more :P

When a lot of people were recording runs, I would go through them once or twice a week and just watch the last 30 seconds of the streams. There's something about the end of a run that I never get tired of. 

So yeah, I would watch you die more :P

If I had any video editing abilities (or software) I'd consider recording for a week then putting together a supercut of the last few seconds of each run.

SAM: I just used OpenBroadcast Software (it's free and gratis) and simply started and ended the recording with defined hotkeys. No editing required for a single run.

I use OBS too.  I can make the recording with no trouble.  The only editing I was considering was to cut out everything but the deaths (or beating the game, something I haven't had too much luck with lately).

I use avidemux for the basic editing. It ok enough to cut out parts of a video. It's not very precise, but it's good enough.

It is possible, though extremely rare, for a block to be there and the shop to be completely inaccessible.  I've had it happen to me a couple times.  Getting in without triggering the shopkeeper is tricky.

I'm talking about the missing piece of the ceiling.

Fuuuuuu Spelunky coming out on PS4 next Tuesday with cross-buy (you'll own it if you owned the PS3 or Vita version) and PlayStation Plus (if you're a PS+ subscriber, it'll be yours at no cost as long as you 'buy' it in October).

It's been just long enough since I played this ravenously that I can see myself falling right back into that black hole of obsession.

From Playstation blog: "Also, there’s a new feature for the Daily Challenge: friend ghosts! Wanna know how your friends perished in the Daily? Their ghosts will appear where they died, offering some creepy clues about what dangers are lurking about." That's a cool new addition!

I wonder if they mean ghost like a Mario Kart ghost or ghost like an actual ghost like in multiplayer.

Tried out the PS4 version last night. You can watch replays of your friends daily challenge attempts...pretty cool! Though it could really use some sort of playback control so I can skip to the good stuff ie stupid deaths.

I broke one million last night on a daily challenge.  Normally I don't go very far out of my way for score but I ended up screwing around long enough on a couple levels that the ghost spawned so I ghosted some diamonds.  I also had 80+ bombs going into the City of Gold and left with about 20.

Killed Yama with the Crysknife today! Another self-set goal achieved.

Got some decent action shots, too.

2014_10_20_00001.jpg

2014_10_20_00002.jpg

2014_10_20_00003.jpg

2014_10_20_00004.jpg

Haha, love the cover! I've not heard of this series before but I'm really intrigued. Will have to pick up the one about Earthbound, for sure.

Spelunky book by Derek Yu - a dream come true. Looks like a cool/good series, I really want to check out the SMB2 book too at least.

I tried the Blue Frog mod and even though it's just a texture swap it is quite an interesting and fun challenge for experienced Spelunky players. Most of the enemies are easy to recognize in their frog disguise and are pretty harmless even if you instantly do not, but there are couple of really evil instances that will make you furious and disappointed in yourself. Here is a mega compilation picture of all the Blue Froggines:

post-26597-0-83513400-1413880138_thumb.jpg

post-26597-0-69783100-1413880154_thumb.jpg

Sadly the pixel spelunker easter egg under the tutorial shop wasn't a frog sprite from the original game.

I tried the Blue Frog mod and even though it's just a texture swap it is quite an interesting and fun challenge for experienced Spelunky players. Most of the enemies are easy to recognize in their frog disguise and are pretty harmless even if you instantly do not, but there are couple of really evil instances that will make you furious and disappointed in yourself.

I really dug the Metroid mod for the same reasons.  It was really interesting to see just how much you rely on knowledge of enemy behavior and familiar patterns and situations.  The first few times playing with a new skin are almost like starting over again.  I think I previously compared it to Jason Borne.  I still have all the skills and reflexes, but I don't recognize characters and environments.  The Metroid mod in particular was really well done because it reskins almost the entire game, including items, environments, enemies, and even sounds if you get the additional mod pack.  I recorded a few daily challenges with it when it came out.  They're somewhere in the Idle Explorers thread if anyone cares to look for them.

Edit: Here's where it starts

I stumbled across this video today. It's a supercut of Remo's daily challenge videos, from days 1 to 99. I really enjoyed seeing the skill progression from start to finish, and there were a few moments in there that I recognised from watching the original dailies over a year ago. Thought some of you would enjoy it too.