Sombre

Spelunky!

Congrats! I think it's always best to work towards the various goals in baby steps. You'll get City of Gold/Hell/Yama next time!

I've been holding off until I feel more able to kill Olmec consistently. Which is possibly ridiculous; I've done the key run and apart from hell I only have a few character unlocks left.

I've hit a brick wall getting to the City of Gold.  I'm mostly just doing the Daily Challenge, but I'm consistently robbing the market, getting the Hedjet, and then dying in usually ridiculous ways on the first or second level of the Temple. The worst was dying within sight of the Golden Door. 

I will get there.  Oh yes I will.

This game depresses me so much because I love everything about it to bits - except platforming. Why does one of the best roguelikes have to have a core mechanic I dislike :(

This game depresses me so much because I love everything about it to bits - except platforming. Why does one of the best roguelikes have to have a core mechanic I dislike :(

It's interesting you would say that. I've always considered 2D platforming a genre that I just would never like. I didn't feel like the range of movement was large enough to feel like I had some personal expression in addition to the need to execute on a critical path.

Somehow, Spelunky ended up being one of my favourite games. I love how it brings decision making to 2D platforming, and actually makes use of the 2D space instead of being strictly horizontal.

I'm sad there have been no rushing water levels in recent dailies.

It's a huge testament to the game's other strengths that I still play it most days even though I find the core loop irritating. I wonder if I'll eventually get Stockholmed into really enjoying it. I kind of hope so.

Bananasaurs Rex just set the record for high score with an absurd amount of $3,105,850.  He got an incredibly lucky seed that gave him a plasma cannon on the first level and a jetpack on the second.  The whole thing is archived in a crazy long stream on his twitch channel.

The plasma cannon can be a random drop?  :blink:   Mind blown. 

Wow, I had no idea you could get the plasma cannon either.

Is... is Doxy in this video? I can't stand the way they talk to each other. There's something about it that creeps me out and makes me not like BANANASAURUS

Weird, why?

Also, oh my god, plasma cannon as a random drop!

There's no reasoning behind it; perhaps I'm just a hateful person.

Also I just realized that video is almost 8 hours long, and its going to be almost entirely ghosting, so I wouldn't watch it anyway. Still a really awesome accomplishment.

HEY GUYS! HEY GUYS! HEY GUYS!

I beat Yama for the first time today.  On the Daily Challenge.  The first time I had ever been to the City of Gold.  The first time I had ever been to Hell. 

FUCK YEAH!

761 total attempts to finally pull it off.

post-33601-0-05707900-1393036388_thumb.jpg

For a little while, I was ranked 42nd in the world.

post-33601-0-41471500-1393036392_thumb.jpg

Congrats man! That's awesome. Also I'm adding you on Steam so I have more people to daily challenge against. 

Bjorn, that's badass!

If anyone wants to add me on Steam, my username is my steam name. I only have a few people I "compete" against. I'm a nice guy! 

Congrats Bjorn.

The plasma cannon can be a random drop?  :blink:   Mind blown.

It's been in the mines on a couple of Vita dailies in the past few months. Once crated in a snake pit, and once in a vase I think.

Is there anybody who keeps track of interesting daily runs, so you can see in advance what's coming?  I'm not playing every day right now, but if there were a run where the Plasma Rifle dropped early, I would fire it up just for giggles of that.

The pots can only contain treasure or enemies, never items.

Ah, my mistake, must have been a crate.

Is there anybody who keeps track of interesting daily runs, so you can see in advance what's coming?  I'm not playing every day right now, but if there were a run where the Plasma Rifle dropped early, I would fire it up just for giggles of that.

I sometimes see people drawing attention to dailies on Twitter, but it's a bit random.

I remember hearing something about the Daily Challenge seed creation algorithm thingamajigger changing in the Pro HUD update? I might also just be pulling shit out of my ass here, as I cannot cite any sources, and I'm too lazy to go digging around right now.

ps. I beat Yama once again in the Daily today, huzzah. Seems that the red turban man is my lucky character. The teal milk-/postman guy is the exact opposite, damn him.

The old Daily Challenge seeds used to be generated based on the date, so certain daily challenges would repeat.  The Pro HUD update changed the seed so this wouldn't happen anymore.

could still be date based, but instead of month*day it could be more intelligent