JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

Man, can Steam not make the end of its sales confusing?  Glad I double checked my wishlist this morning and picked up a couple of more things.  All the sales ended except for the encore return sale. 

And as always, I bought more than I intended to:

Thirty Flights of Loving - Don't know why I didn't already own this
Papo & Yo
Spacebase DF-9
PixelJunk Eden
Shelter
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
Steam Marines
Don't Starve
Call of Juarez Gunslinger
Unepic

Guacamelee! Gold Edition
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
La-Mulana
Legend of Dungeon
XCOM: Enemy Unknown: Slingshot DLC
XCOM: Enemy Within
Papers, Please
Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut
The Stanley Parable

And as a bonus, a gift of Just Cause 2 from a Thumbs forum member!

I am still debating on FC3 at $7.49.  I actually own it on the 360, but think I would enjoy playing it more on PC.

19 games/DLC packs for a final total of $89.49, but half of that came from just 4 games.  And all of them are games that I really, really, really want to play or already love on console and want to replay on PC.  Which is better than prior steam sales where I bought things that I was just so-so on because they were cheap.

I bitch about Steam sales, but really, can you imagine walking into a Best Buy and buying 19 great games for $90, many of them contenders for Top 10 lists from their respective years.  And a lot of them from this year.  Good lord, Steam seriously spoils gamers.

If only Steam could sell me time to play all those games at the same discounted rate :)

I got away with just Gone Home, Brutal Legend, Just Cause 2, Fallout: New Vegas, and XCOM:Enemy Within

I was looking through the stats on the card sales and F2P items crafted during the sale.  About 1.4 million badges have been crafted so far.   It's kind of ridiculous how much money Valve is making from their gamification of their store during these events.  It's probably just a drop in the bucket compared to their overall revenue, but it's more money than a lot of game devs make in a year.

Since it's my B-day tomorrow I gifted myself Walking Dead Season 2, A Wolf Among Us, Amnesia A Machine for Pigs and Hate Plus. 

It really sucks that now you get items for games you don't use, then again, I also never got a discount that I wanted, at least I can sell these? 

I would complain about the way the sale effectively ends a day early, but really, the next summer sale is probably going to arrive before I get around to playing any of the cheapies I would potentially have bought today.

I started building up a big backlog when the Steam sales started in earnest back in about 2010, and every sale it gets bigger and I'm reminded of all these games I bought years ago and have never played. Ah well, even with a giant Steam library (1200+ games, and growing faster than ever) I spend far less each year than I would if I bought a dozen full priced console games. For being able to have every game installed at once and play anything instantly whenever I want, that's a pretty good deal.

This sale, I picked up:

Anachronox

Deathtrap Dungeon

Bit.Trip Runner 2

Bit.Trip Fate

Toy Soldiers

The Stanley Parable

Urban Chaos

Startopia 

Pool Nation

Guacamelee!

Sacraboar

Ace Patrol

You Don't Know Jack Pack

7 Grand Steps

Lilly Looking Through

Nihilumbra

TrackMania² Pack

Sacrifice

Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4

Final Fantasy VII

How to Survive

Endless Space + Disharmony

Cook, Serve, Delicious!

MirrorMoon EP

Castlestorm

Doom 3: BFG Edition

Deadpool

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Long Live the Queen

Wizardy 6, 7, 8

Sang-Froid: Tale of Werewolves

Magic Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014

BioShock Infinite Season Pass

Interstellar Marines

Valdis Story: Abyssal City

Delver

... wow, okay, that's a pretty big list. All up it probably cost me about $150, which for half a dozen games I'm really keen to play, and a big pile of others I'll get around to someday, is just SUCH an unbelievably better deal than buying one and a half copies of whatever big budget console release. Steam sales really do spoil us terribly.

the best year was when they offered raffle ticket for completing in game challenges. i definitely bought a few $1.50/$2.50 games just to complete a daily ticket meta. 

i also finished one badge, but there were 100 levels of it! that would be expensive. 

final damage report:

Rocksmith 2014

Ben There, Dan That & Time Gentlemen Please 

Brothers

Dust An Elysian Tale

Bioshock Season Pass

VVVVVV

Bulletstorm

Trine 2 Complete Story Upgrade (don't even know what this is, but it was .49)

$55.18

Each badge costs about a dollar... I'll give it sixty on average. $1.60, Valve gets a ten percent cut. $0.16, 1.4 million badges. $224,000 total. Certainly not bad for the effort they've put forth. Almost literally nothing, though, for a company the size of Valve. Still, nice.

There is a ME collection of all games and all DLC, for all systems, just not on Steam.

Boy do I love New Vegas, and even more so the 4 DLCs, significantly more than F3, though I've also really enjoyed all of Obsidian's games, warts and all. My favorite stuff is always warty, it's a sign of ambition! I thought NV also built nicely on the first two games, FOR THE FANS. 

I ended up having a lot of issues with Fallout 3, but I ended up picking up Fallout New Vegas because, you know, it cost less than what I usually spend on a cup of coffee, it felt crazy not to buy it. So far I'm more impressed with it even though it is largely the same thing, but there are a bunch of little things that are making me appreciate the game more. I'm only about an hour in, but looking forward to seeing how the game develops.

Each badge costs about a dollar... I'll give it sixty on average. $1.60, Valve gets a ten percent cut. $0.16, 1.4 million badges. $224,000 total. Certainly not bad for the effort they've put forth. Almost literally nothing, though, for a company the size of Valve. Still, nice.

About half of those cards are probably received as drops, so it's less than that, but then you also have 1.4 million items crafted, many of which will go up for sale.  They've made a few thousand dollars just on the fees for the TF2 "Precious" tier item, which sells for $120+.  About 2,400 "Precious" level items have been crafted and 24,000 "Extraordinary" level items, which will continue to sell a few a day for a long time at a fairly high cost.  You also have foil cards, which sell for about the same cost as a full set of regular cards. 

All told, I think a reasonable guess would be that they make up to a half a million from the fees for cards and items from the sale.  And individual gamers make several million that is deposited into their Steam wallets, which is then (mostly) dumped back into the system by buying more games/cards/items.  The self contained ecosystem it's generating is fascinating to me. 

I sold $12.64 worth of cards during the Winter Sale (mostly winter cards and cards from games I bought).  That's from both of my accounts, so a few more of the winter card drops than the normal person would get.  There are probably a few of the purchases I made that I wouldn't have, particularly the cheaper sub-$2 games.

I was actually just using the amount of money it costs to buy a set of cards from the market. But I know that's not really a valid measurement.

Anyway the point is money.

i also finished one badge, but there were 100 levels of it! that would be expensive.

If you're talking about the current snow globe badge, there's no upper limit. The highest I can find is this guy, who has a level 1000 badge.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/palmdesert/gamecards/267420/

Crafting that required 10000 cards, for a total cost of probably $2000+

Unless an automated tool was used to buy and craft badges, that's probably 20-30 hours of clicking through screens and waiting on the badge crafting animation.   And he's got hundreds and hundreds of level 5 badges. 

Ben There, Dan That & Time Gentlemen Please 

Wise decision! How much was that, about half a dollar? Remember to seek out the special features for BTDT once you've finished that game; they'll be squirreled away in a Steam folder somewhere, and they're brillo.

My damage:

• DuckTales Remastered (finished)
  • The Bridge (almost finished)
  • Eldritch (played a bit)
  • Rise of the Triad - the remake (played a bunch of levels)
  • Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches (finished)
  • Trials Evolution Gold (I absolutely regret this due to being a Ubisoft game1)
  • Dream (waiting for 1.0)
  • Giana Sisters: Twisted Bundle (started)
  • Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons (finished)
  • Mark of the Ninja: Special Edition DLC (finished)
  • Indie Game: The Movie Special Edition DLC (finished)

1) ever since ubisoft turned PC hostile I've refused buying any games from them on any platform. They've come close to reverting their hostile stance, but then came uplay. I didn't do my researched, and found out too late that Trials Evolotion is a ubisoft game requiring uplay. I've attempted a Steam refund, they refused, and after reading more about the EU I concluded I couldn't claim a refund because I "broke the seal" by installing the game. My only defence would be claiming the game is defective due to ubisoft's DRM (which is a real stretch at this point). I can't claim that Steam didn't properly notify me (which they didn't) because it was mentioned in the system requirements (but not as a standard mention of "3rd party DRM"). So... ubisoft, you win this time, you received 5 euros (minus Valve cut) from me, and 1 sales notch.

My damage:

• DuckTales Remastered (finished)
  • The Bridge (almost finished)
  • Eldritch (played a bit)
  • Rise of the Triad - the remake (played a bunch of levels)
  • Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches (finished)
  • Trials Evolution Gold (I absolutely regret this due to being a Ubisoft game1)
  • Dream (waiting for 1.0)
  • Giana Sisters: Twisted Bundle (started)
  • Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons (finished)
  • Mark of the Ninja: Special Edition DLC (finished)
  • Indie Game: The Movie Special Edition DLC (finished)

1) ever since ubisoft turned PC hostile I've refused buying any games from them on any platform. They've come close to reverting their hostile stance, but then came uplay. I didn't do my researched, and found out too late that Trials Evolotion is a ubisoft game requiring uplay. I've attempted a Steam refund, they refused, and after reading more about the EU I concluded I couldn't claim a refund because I "broke the seal" by installing the game. My only defence would be claiming the game is defective due to ubisoft's DRM (which is a real stretch at this point). I can't claim that Steam didn't properly notify me (which they didn't) because it was mentioned in the system requirements (but not as a standard mention of "3rd party DRM"). So... ubisoft, you win this time, you received 5 euros (minus Valve cut) from me, and 1 sales notch.

You are a wildman, finishing all that shit. I wish I had any kind of self-control and could buy and beat games with as little time between as this.

You are a wildman, finishing all that shit. I wish I had any kind of self-control and could buy and beat games with as little time between as this.

Most of the things I finished aren't that long. Brothers is about 3 hours, Mark of the Ninja SE DLC is about 1 hour. Dishonored Witches is between 1 and 4 hours depending on how you play.

According to Steam I've only spend 12.5 hours last 2 weeks on games (that seems a bit on the low side).

My backlog is still huge.

If you have the Enhanced Steam extension installed on your browser of choice it will insert a prominent 3rd Party DRM!! warning into the relevant Steam store pages (among other wonderful things).

yes I have that, but I mostly use Steam to view Steam store

New Humble Bundle.  I used to get so excited for these, but now it seems like I own all or most of almost every bundle that comes out.  Maybe I buy too many vidyagames.  Naaaaaah.

Gamefly Digital running a lot of good deals on Steam games:

Use code GFDJAN20 at checkout for 20% off

75% off games:

$9.99-20% off $7.99 Bioshock Infinite (PC Digital Download) [gamefly.com]
$7.49-20% off $5.99 Dead Island Riptide (PC Digital Download) [gamefly.com]
$7.49-20% off $5.99 Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition (PC Digital Download) [gamefly.com]
$4.99-20% off $3.99 Torchlight 2 (PC Digital Download) [gamefly.com]
$3.75-20% off $3.00 Metro Last Light Season Pass (PC Digital Download) [gamefly.com]

66% off games:

$13.59-20% off $10.87 Metro Last Light (PC Digital Download) [gamefly.com]
$13.59-20% off $10.87 Shadow Warrior (PC Digital Download) [gamefly.com]
$13.59-20% off $10.87 Company of Heroes (PC Digital Download) [gamefly.com]

60% off games:

$19.99-20% off $15.99 Batman Arkham Origins (PC Digital Download) [gamefly.com]
$19.99-20% off $15.99 Saints Row IV (PC Digital Download) [gamefly.com]
$3.99-20% off $3.19 Saints Row IV Season Pass (PC Digital Download) [gamefly.com]

50% off games:

$5.99-20% off $4.79 Final Fantasy VII (PC Digital Download) [gamefly.com]

Source: Slickdeals

New Humble Bundle.  I used to get so excited for these, but now it seems like I own all or most of almost every bundle that comes out.  Maybe I buy too many vidyagames.  Naaaaaah.

I've been having that issue for a while now. Also, the /home page is getting way too crowded for me.