JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

New Vegas is indeed much better than Fallout 3. Fallout 3 is quite linear.

I feel the opposite is true. FO3 lets you wander aimlessly through the desert pretty much right away. There is weird/cool stuff to find everywhere. FO3NV felt much more constrained to me: there are only a few areas you can go from the start of the game. Also I thought the FO3NV story was profoundly dumb and mostly unavoidable, and while the FO3 story is likewise dumb I didn't feel compelled to play through it.

I think if you are more interested in sandbox/exploration games FO3 is better, if you are more interested in narrative choice FO3NV is better.

If you wander off in FO3 you can easily jump major parts of the game which you can never go back to. In NV some major parts are locked off until you reach a certain point in a storyline. NV is much more safe if you want to wander off. The locked off stuff isn't that major. Or at least from what I recall.

I feel the opposite is true. FO3 lets you wander aimlessly through the desert pretty much right away. There is weird/cool stuff to find everywhere. FO3NV felt much more constrained to me: there are only a few areas you can go from the start of the game. Also I thought the FO3NV story was profoundly dumb and mostly unavoidable, and while the FO3 story is likewise dumb I didn't feel compelled to play through it.

I think if you are more interested in sandbox/exploration games FO3 is better, if you are more interested in narrative choice FO3NV is better.

I don't really know what you mean when you say there are only a few areas you can go from the start of the game. The only major limitations to movement around New Vegas are 1) New Vegas itself, which requires a toll or a small quest to enter and 2) Quarry Junction, which is essentially bound to destroy you until level 20 or so due to the ridiculously powerful Deathclaws and 3) the main quest, which tends (90% of the time, I'd guess?) to only lock off areas that are only relevant to the main quest. You can take multiple paths to subvert Quarry Junction, as a side note.

I haven't played FO3NV in a long time so my memory is not that clear, but as I recall you pretty much have to head counter-clockwise from the starting area. Otherwise you will get killed by high-level enemies (wasp dudes and deathclaws, mainly). One of my favourite things about all Bethseda games is your ability to just strike out in any direction and have an adventure, and I didn't have that experience with FO3NV.

If you wander off in FO3 you can easily jump major parts of the game which you can never go back to.

I don't care about the story in either/any of the fallout games, so that never bothered me.

There is a ME collection of all games and all DLC, for all systems, just not on Steam.

Boy do I love New Vegas, and even more so the 4 DLCs, significantly more than F3, though I've also really enjoyed all of Obsidian's games, warts and all. My favorite stuff is always warty, it's a sign of ambition! I thought NV also built nicely on the first two games, FOR THE FANS. 

Hm... maybe I'll get New Vegas after all... But I doubt I'll find time to play through it any time soon.

So does anybody know if tomorrow is the last day to get all the deals or the day after that? I know I'm not the only one who got confused by the fall sale and missed out on a few thing because of this. :|

Yeah, but Steam sales don't end on midnight, I guess the finale will be on the 3rd, but it's possible the "best of" could start that day? Since it doesn't specify the hour it confused me last time. :|

Hmm, it says the sale ends on the 3rd of January, but like elmuerte said individual sales say they end on the 2nd, now I'm really confused. I hope they make the "finale sale" obvious and that's when I'll get everything I want. XP

I have sold enough of those dumb Steam cards to buy a 2,5€ game. I'm torn between GTA: San Andreas and Flotilla.

GTA because I haven't played GTA games very much, and I hear San Andreas is one of (if not the) best.

Flotilla because space, and the Idle Thumbs praise it got back in the day. I doubt I'll have anyone to play it cooperatively (as I understand it's only local coop).

Flotilla does not require co-op. Single player is satisfying. It has massive difficulty curves though.

Oh man, I would love an FTL with Flotilla's 3D/syncronous-turn combat-system. If Individual upgrades were damaged and I could tell my little animals to go fix specific stuff on my flotilla, that would be perfect.

Weird, just checked and the DLC isn't on sale now (there's still time left on the community vote price for it).  I wonder if the DLC being discounted was another store glitch.

Wtf is the steam sale?! I thought there was at least 24 more hours of sale.

edit: oh.. the sale frontpage is back.

What the.... It ended tomorrow! ARGH! I was going to buy all my stuff tomorrow. :|

EDIT: Same here... Yikes! That was scary! XP

it ends friday. and WALKING DEAD SEASON 2 IS ON SALE !!!!

also Rayman Legends which I hear is good.

I see that the Under The Ocean alpha is 75% off ($1.99, €1.99 or £1.74) for another day, and I know we have a couple of fans here. It's a randomly generated island exploration and survival game based on a TIGsource competition entry.

The devs are now in the process of adding multiplayer and switching perspective (!) from 2D to isometric. A daring move.

@Farmergnome tweeted (Dec 12):

Few days early for #screenshotsaturday, but whatever, new water, view and hub world for Under the Ocean, More to come pic.twitter.com/iiY069T2Gt

BbTAXXACIAEPt4u.png

I think I'm gonna make this my third and final Steam sale Real Money Perch, keeping it even more thrifty than usual this year.

Is there a way to embed tweets on this version of the forum software?

Is it weird that I'm already sick of randomly generated survival games when most of them are still in Early Access? Even Minecraft is in Alpha, right?

Minecraft has been officially released for a couple of years now.

Either way, there a lot of minecraft-y survival games in Early Access, most of them with zombies too. :|