Jake

Idle Thumbs 50: "Farewell, Video Games" or "The Shitty Wizard"

The last podcasts that I'm going through are NYU Game Center podcasts of Jonathan Blow and Warren Spector. There were some other people also there. Very interesting stuff.

Nice, thanks for the heads up on these casts, they may lack the idle insouciance but they sure have a line up of heavy hitting guests. Basically, it's the 1994 Montreal Expos of games podcasting.

sorry, I have a propensity for dropping Expos references whenever I can... in this case Clint Hocking would be Larry Walker, Warren Spector - Felipe Alou, Jonothan Blow a young Vladimir Guererro and the schools semester based scheduling equates to the Player's strike... I go shut up now

Edited by Floordje

The random bs at the end of show 50 was the perfect way to go out--very thumbs. Thanks for the incredible archive of shows you guys. So much of the conversation is timeless and can be listened to again and again. I feel like I've really gotten to know you three over the last year and my week just won't be the same without your show. I wish you nothing but the best and I look forward to any and all future casts you decide to do. Swizard!

so, where's this week's episode?

Wait... you mean... :\

Thanks for the casts, guys. Congrats Nick I'll keep the iTunes sub on for the inevitable future casts.

so, where's this week's episode?

That broke my heart more than you know..

The first week off the Thumbs.

That broke my heart more than you know..

The first week off the Thumbs.

Cold turkey sucks. I'm on episode 19 right now.

I feel like something is missing. The only new podcast I have today is the Bombcast... :(

Any other good podcasts around? Aside from the usual NPR stuff, This American Life and the Moth, I want something funny to listen to.

Any other good podcasts around? Aside from the usual NPR stuff, This American Life and the Moth, I want something funny to listen to.

I would say yes, but i wouldn't want to suggest something because i feel that i am too indiscriminate.

Just got round to listening to the last episode. As Cheetohands said above, the nature of the show really does make you feel like (a very silent) member of the conversation you guys have and I'll certainly miss it. The only other gaming podcast I listen to regularly is Gamers with Jobs but it won't fill this hole. (check out the latest episode of that btw, they have an section with some of the torchlight guys).

Good luck to Nick (sincerely!) and I'll still be checking out the thumbs forum too as you guys here always have some good conversations going on. :)

Long live Idle Thumbs.

On another note, who's going to influence my purchasing decisions now? Just a quick list of the top of my head of stuff Thumbs made me buy:

Trine

Dawn of War II

Civ 4

Torchlight

and if I didn't already own Far Cry 2 when I started listening, I certainly would have by now.

Heh yeah, I wonder how many game purchases I made because of Idle Thumbs that I wouldn't have made otherwise. Definitely Far Cry 2. Probably Dawn of War II and possibly Torchlight though that one is getting a lot of pub elsewhere too.

Heh yeah, I wonder how many game purchases I made because of Idle Thumbs that I wouldn't have made otherwise. Definitely Far Cry 2. Probably Dawn of War II and possibly Torchlight though that one is getting a lot of pub elsewhere too.

Torchlight is a definite 'yes' for me. And I see Dragon Age being yet another one, when it goes on sale on Steam eventually.

Apologies if this had been mentioned, but has Chris uploaded the clip of Dragon Age where there was this wizard who was constantly casting spells at the background while the npc was talking real slow? I imagine that would really be hilarious.

I don't *think* he has uploaded it yet, but prior to hearing him talk about it, I got to the same part in Dragon Age and thought the exact same thing. That Wizard in the game is going NUTS with his casting while the Tranquil is just chillin' emotionless. It's pretty hilarious.

Very yes.

Unfortunately, I caught up on all the episodes of JJGo episodes right around the time Idle Thumbs wrapped up. I guess I'll have to go back to being productive at work :getmecoat

"Cool Cool Coolgame: Ask for him by name."

(They didn't. ;( But the mention of Goldblum in that comic immediately made me think of Thumbs.)

The new podcast should be called Cool Cool Game.

Or Gate Gold Fold Gold.

Or Blum Cool Game Gate Fold.

Over the run of Idle Thumbs, I have purchased the following games based in large part upon their recommendations:

- Far Cry 2

- Trine

- Torchlight

- Dawn of War 2

- Empire: Total War

- Civilization 4

- Hitman Blood Money (the PC version when it went on Steam sale. Already owned 360, but didn't like using the pad to play it)

- AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! A Reckless Disregard for Gravity

- Left 4 Dead (no joke. Probably wouldn't have cared as much without your musings on it.)

- Mass Effect (PC version again. Remo's replay made me want to experience it on a PC)

- Red Faction Guerrilla

- World of Goo

- Peggle iPhone (for $1)

Granted, most of these were on Steam sales, but still that's a lot of gaming thanks to the thumb. Actually, looking at it, all of these were on PC as well. Go figure.

I have purchased only a few games based on the Idle Thumbs podcast recommendations:

Far Cry 2

King's Bounty (still unplayed), possibly, or that may have been based on RPS

Anno 1404

Blueberry Garden (was initially quite disappointed with the demo, ended up liking the game)

Civ 4

i'm listening to this on my ps3 right now, but i haven't listened to the past ten casts or so. suddenly a reader mentions the podcast is ending!? i'm only half-way through and i haven't read this thread so i have no idea why. I AM FREAKED OUT. writing this on a virtual keyboard took a long time..

Aww poor Brkl. I was almost in the same situation, until I caught wind of it.

Episode 48 explains it all I think.

i'm listening to this on my ps3 right now, but i haven't listened to the past ten casts or so. suddenly a reader mentions the podcast is ending!? i'm only half-way through and i haven't read this thread so i have no idea why. I AM FREAKED OUT. writing this on a virtual keyboard took a long time..

In the end they all suddenly died of a common cold. It seems their alien biology wasn't equipped to handle a foreign virus. Sad really.

Man, Congrats Nick Breckon.

Nah, congratulations for the job. I guess some podcast will inform me of the title.