Thyroid

The Last Guardian

Whatever it is, the boy should pull out those damn spears.

Perhaps I just have no imagination, but I struggle to see a fun video game here. Surely that's why it's never been released, because it's just not good enough, what other reason is there?

http://youtu.be/EHzHoMT5eRg

ahh! That trailer gets me every time, even after all these years. I guess I'll just die before I cancel my Amazon pre-order.

I want to go on an adventure with my giant bird/dog friend.

That dog has always been fucking nasty. It's back is like that of a burn victim's with tons of blisters.

Oh God. This imagery has resided in the back of my mind since childhood because it was so gross and affecting:

I know, right?! Who the fuck was still buying VHSes by the time Shaun Of The Dead came out?

Man, I just wish this game released someday... I still think there are few works in video games there are so subtle and sensible as Ico and SotC. I wish Ueda could move on to other projects as well if this is not coming out.

At least it's nice to see that some people of the team founded a new studio, looking forward to their game. The problem is that they're equally optimistic as they were with the last guardian when it comes to release dates: "When it's done".

So The Last Guardian trademark has lapsed, which people are taking as being a sign that the game's no longer coming.

Incidentally, I'd be amused if someone swiped the trademark. How much do trademarks cost?

Hey, it's lapsed once before, so this will be the third time they've had to re-register it.  Third times a charm?

Important information: registering a trademark looks like it's $400.

I really, really want to swipe the trademark, and provide a company name that will send amateur game journalists down a carefully constructed rabbit hole of crazy. I should on no account be given a large disposable income, because I would spend it on things like pranking the game industry with elaborate fictional companies who are really pleased The Last Guardian trademark is not taken.

Hey, it's lapsed once before, so this will be the third time they've had to re-register it.  Third times a charm?

Third time... PS3... year of the PS3...

Oh my god!

The Last Guardian is Frog Fractions 3!

:fart:

Strategically letting a trademark lapse due to failure to show intent to use (because the game isn't out yet, and there hasn't been any advertisements to show off), and then following up with an amendment to refile is surely a sign that the game is still being worked on, but also still stuck in development hell.

Merus, I have a plan...

You buy the $400 trademark for 'The Last Guardian'. We then start to make a lowest-common denominater Online-FPS war game, put it on Early Access, wait for people to snap it up purely based on the name, take the money and run.

It'll be just like the AAA market. No-one will know.

Dear 'Merus',

Please ensure that the breadcrumb trail leads back to Kojima Productions. Thank you.

Your friend,

Jaokim O. Hedi

Looks like it's too late but this is a great idea.

You buy the $400 trademark for 'The Last Guardian'. We then start to make a lowest-common denominater Online-FPS war game, put it on Early Access, wait for people to snap it up purely based on the name, take the money and run.

...I'm starting to think I shouldn't have taken up that investment opportunity you convinced me to take up last year. No wonder I'm broke.

Last Guardian (Sony, PS4)

Yes, we know it has been in development hell since 2007, but we have it on very good authority that this will be the year that Team Ico finally presents its follow-up to much loved classics Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. Whether it’ll bear any relation to the game last shown at E3 in 2009 is anyone’s guess.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/gallery/2015/jun/09/e3-2015-most-anticipated-games?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

tumblr_mb1h3pm8t31qk6wc3o3_r1_250.gif

Probably be a short but sweet experience like Brothers if it does ever come out.

The way some people feel when the Half-Life 3 thread is brought up is the same way I feel when this thread is brought up.

I often think to myself that there are clear inheritors to HL2 (Wolfenstein, Metro 2033), and its influence is so pronounced in many games that my desire for a sequel isn't as strong as seeing another 3rd person action game that does what Ico or Shadow of the Colossus did (some people have suggested Nier to me). Am I totally wrong? Are there great games in the vein of Ico and SotC that I'm not seeing?

That assumes SotC is great! It's not! ): Ico is, though. Mmm Ico.

Brothers, I think, is a good example, though thousands of people right here on these very forums will insist otherwise.

The way some people feel when the Half-Life 3 thread is brought up is the same way I feel when this thread is brought up.

I often think to myself that there are clear inheritors to HL2 (Wolfenstein, Metro 2033), and its influence is so pronounced in many games that my desire for a sequel isn't as strong as seeing another 3rd person action game that does what Ico or Shadow of the Colossus did (some people have suggested Nier to me). Am I totally wrong? Are there great games in the vein of Ico and SotC that I'm not seeing?

Well said. This is exactly how I feel. With a very few exceptions, there are no games that I consider similar to SotC and ICO. To be honest, there was no game that I consider actually similar, of course that some games were inspired by them and we surely have a wider range of artsy games nowadays, but Team ICO games were so unique that you can't have something else to fill the gap.

That's why I just want this game to be released, even if it isn't as good as the others it will still be singular.

That assumes SotC is great! It's not! ): Ico is, though. Mmm Ico.

Preach, brother!