Thyroid

The Last Guardian

According to their website, "Since finishing Journey, the team has been hard at work to make an emotionally engaging experience centered around human connections for players of all ages and backgrounds."

No idea what that means, but I'm excited for whatever they do. Also, they're contract with Sony is now up, so hopefully their next project sees wider release. That's one studio that I think creates really important stuff and I hate that it's on such a limited platform.

Shadow of the Colossus is a game I want to love. It does so much cool, interesting stuff. But so many of the bosses have weaknesses or patterns that are really difficult to parse or solve. And then there's one that stun-locks you. Stun-lock is the worst. I quit the game there.

The first time I played through SotC I didn't run into any of these problems, so it was mostly a series of highs for me.

When I was reminded that the 10-year anniversary was coming up, I picked up the PS3 version and had a much harder time with it. (I got stun-locked in two boss fights!) It was an odd experience and I can totally see how someone would quickly put it down if they ran into those problems.

According to their website, "Since finishing Journey, the team has been hard at work to make an emotionally engaging experience centered around human connections for players of all ages and backgrounds."

No idea what that means, but I'm excited for whatever they do. Also, they're contract with Sony is now up, so hopefully their next project sees wider release. That's one studio that I think creates really important stuff and I hate that it's on such a limited platform.

It's that... ocean game. Underwater journey. There was a teaser at E3 last year.

I totally love Shadow of the Colossus, it's very unique and ambitious!

I can definitely remember being stuck on some guy's beard for a LONG TIME, and the climbing feeling very slow and unreliable too, though. I think it's a very cool feat, acknowledging it's flaws.

I like to play the PS2 version because it does have a bad framerate that compensates with big heavy motion blur. It gives the game an anime or stop-motion vibe that actually feels appropriate to me. The PS2 is struggling to move these giant things, and I like that as a concept!

Also I agree that you guys should quit playing games with my heart.

It's that... ocean game. Underwater journey. There was a teaser at E3 last year.

Ooooh, that sounds awesome. I'm excited.

Are you talking about ABZÛ? The game is looking pretty good, but it's not from thatgamecompany, it's made only by the art director of Journey, Matt Nava.

Today they released a new vídeo with gameplay footage of it, it looks super good:

In a game where all the fish move like natural schools of fish, it's really distracting to see these yellow comic-book robots pinned to the camera.

I think it's a very cool feat, acknowledging it's flaws.

If it wasn't clear, I was just joshing Twig and having some fun, until Syn decided to get all weird about it. 

Are you talking about ABZÛ? The game is looking pretty good, but it's not from thatgamecompany, it's made only by the art director of Journey, Matt Nava.

Today they released a new vídeo with gameplay footage of it, it looks super good:

Good catch! I was totally thinking that was from thatgamecompany. Now I'm glad I was wrong, because it means I get two games.

Ok, back to the question on the previous page, I think Prince of Persia: Sands of Time is pretty similar to ICO. Also the newer Prince of Persia that everyone hated, but I'm not so sure about the other ones (the one where they wen't all I BLEED DARK FANTASY kind of sucked).

Sands of Time does share a lot of similarities to Ico in terms of setting and style of environmental puzzles, but is completely different in terms of controls and tone.

Did everyone hate the 2008 guy? He was kind of a sarcastic asshole, but I thought in general people liked that game.

Forgotten Sands was really fun, but the story was nonsense and it seems like they finished half a game to get it out in time with the movie. That is the second generation prince though, and I don't know if anyone played it. Sucks, it could have been so much more.

PoP 2008 was fantastic in all the ways.

But it was largely derided, as far as I know, and not for the main character.

I'm finding myself talking a lot about Prince of Persia 2008, for some reason... I disliked the prince, because it was at a time that I had reached peak Nolan North. The guy was in eeeverything, always playing about the same guy, except the writing varying in quality by a lot. I haven't played it since then, but I just remember being annoyed at the bickering; it was all rather one-note.

Also has one of those infuriating cliffhangers that Ubisoft likes so much. There were a lot of good things in that game (e.g. the way that game handled "death" was a little ahead of its time, I think), but deserved most of the scorn it got, in my opinion. A lot of the gameplay was a step removed from it being a giant QTE obstacle course.

I think mainly had they just made a follow up game like PoP 2008 was set up to have, then it could have kept going. I wasn't a big fan of the open structure though in terms of traversing back and forth over and over and then collecting stuff along the way.

But yeah Lu, the Prince in 2008 was just written to be "funny sarcastic" but it didn't really make sense why he'd approach every sentence like that. It was even more strange that Elika didn't really seem to have any response to his bad attitude.

I thought Sands of Time's controls was almost directly inspired by Ico? It's mostly a refined version of those climbing schemes but instead of hitting with stick, you have a wider array of combat manuevers, wall runs, etc.

Haha, wow. ;(

I wonder if Fumito Ueda's work will be redone or if he is still contracting and with finish with Cerny? I don't really want it to be a Cerny game, I guess he's a good guy, he was design consultant on games I like but never really cared about his early Sega career. Knack looked so bad. Don't want it to be like Uncharted 4 and Amy Hennig, so hopefully Ueda is still there.

Did everyone hate the 2008 guy? He was kind of a sarcastic asshole, but I thought in general people liked that game.

I guess not everyone hated it, but I remember a lot of complaints here about the QTE-ness or how the simplified free-running ruined it or something along those lines. I kind of liked it, although unlike with Sands of Time I haven't had any wish to go back and play it again.

Good catch! I was totally thinking that was from thatgamecompany. Now I'm glad I was wrong, because it means I get two games.

If we consider that some of the staff of thatgamecompany founded another studio (Funomena), then we have three possibly great games in the making. However, Keita Takahashi (the guy from Katamari Damacy) is in this studio, so I wouldn't expect anything similar to Journey.

Isn't that game Wattam or something?

I always put journey in the same light as SotC. As well as child of Eden. (Even though it's no where near as good as rez)

I've yet to play either, but I'll check them out!

I put some thought into what games give me similar feelings and I thought of Eidolon. It's so wonderfully quiet just walking around. There are survival game elements, but they're not punishing. The game just lets you Wander through the world while providing direction that's equivalent to holding your sword up and following the light in SotC.

The God of War series came to mind as well. Specifically, it's the way both SotC and GoW can do scale. I distinctly remember in GoW 2 crossing the giant chain-reins and feeling so very small. I'll also note that while GoW has grander scales, SotC makes everything feel more dangerous. I think this is because while both Wander and Kratos are doing fantastical things, SotC doesn't operate with the same hyper, fantasy fulfillment that GoW does. From the way Wander wildly swings his sword to the way he staggers his steps after a jump, his animations make his actions feel precarious.

No, but it was finished.

*air horn*

Isn't that game Wattam or something?

Yep, the game looks super charming, but I really don't know what to expect of it, and that's kinda cool. Austin Wintory is involved too, I love his soundtracks.

Back to the topic, I'm completely excited for this E3 because of The Last Guardian, but if they don't show anything that's it , I'm moving. My heart can't take it anymore.

Only if they think it's perfect or the bee's knees.

I think that feeling compelled to 100% every game is likely to lead to seeing most games as far less enjoyable than you otherwise could have done.

I absolutely love Metal Gear Solid 3 for example, but if I felt that I had to non-lethally neutralise every single enemy in the game on European Extreme without ever raising an alert then I'd most likely just ruin the game for myself and get extremely pissed off. Similarly, Yoshi's Island is a masterpiece in my opinion but I'd soon grow to loathe it if I felt that I couldn't put it down before grabbing every collectible. In fact, I think that virtually every game I've ever played would become an inferior experience for me if I tried to 100% them. I don't enjoy that shit; it's purely there for those who do.

There is a lot to be said for being able to enjoy a piece of entertainment without needing to explore every last detail of it, slowly but surely eroding away the magic and mystery. And you certainly don't need to 100% a game in order to be able to say that — in your opinion — it's a perfect game. Because fundamentally, your experience with a game and how much you enjoy it is what matters.

Just because you endured a super-thorough journey through a game doesn't make you any more qualified to pass judgement on it than somebody who hasn't. It's a bit like saying that nobody is qualified to say the next Star Wars film is great unless they catch every single obscure reference that Abrams will inevitably squeeze into it. How dare there be even one minuscule fragment of the creator's vision you didn't experience? :D

The one concession I will make is that you probably should at least complete a game before being able to give a well-rounded opinion on it. But 100%-ing it, especially considering how arbitrary and pointless a lot of completionist stuff in games is? Why do that to yourself? Life is too short.

thrik you're just playing all your games wrong sorry that's how it is