Thyroid

The Last Guardian

That assumes SotC is great! It's not! ): Ico is, though. Mmm Ico.

You're right, because SotC is perfect!  Lots of things are great, but few things are prefect. 

I'm glad we could agree on this.

Not touching that second sentence with a thousand foot pole.

You're right, because SotC is perfect! Lots of things are great, but few things are prefect.

I'm glad we could agree on this.

Not touching that second sentence with a thousand foot pole.

Amazing haha

SotC is perfect indeed.

few things are prefect

I admit, I'd accept Shadow and the Colossus as my co-governors!

Shadow of the Colossus is a game I want to love. It does so much cool, interesting stuff. But so many of the bosses have weaknesses or patterns that are really difficult to parse or solve. And then there's one that stun-locks you. Stun-lock is the worst. I quit the game there.

Ico is perfect though.

Haha, that's literally exactly how I feel. I wanted to like it so much, but it just fell flat.

I wanna give it another try, though. The PS3 has a remastered version, right?

Haha, that's literally exactly how I feel. I wanted to like it so much, but it just fell flat.

I wanna give it another try, though. The PS3 has a remastered version, right?

Yes it does!

It's Ico and SotC remastered, and they both look lovely.

I hope all of you that think Shadow of the Colossus is near perfect finished the time attacks on both hard and easy, which unlocks all the extra stuff, which means 100%ing it. I mean you should 100% an amazing game right?

And now I'm getting nightmares of shooting a bunch of hard to see fruits from random trees for hours and swiping your sword at lizards trying hard to get past the terrible collision detection with those things. Even worse are all the copy and pasted save temples where you use your broken momentum to climb up and try to catch that lizard that is not scripted to come to the ground. Yesh.

If Shadow of the Colossus did not have such a bland overworld, all that incredible amount of tedium, and controlled like Prince of Persia Sands of Time instead of an improved version of Croc, then it might be a contender for one of the best games ever, but for all the hype it gets for a must play game especially among people new to video games, there's no way in hell I'd recommend it.

I hope all of you that think Shadow of the Colossus is near perfect finished the time attacks on both hard and easy, which unlocks all the extra stuff, which means 100%ing it. I mean you should 100% an amazing game right?

And now I'm getting nightmares of shooting a bunch of hard to see fruits from random trees for hours and swiping your sword at lizards trying hard to get past the terrible collision detection with those things. Even worse are all the copy and pasted save temples where you use your broken momentum to climb up and try to catch that lizard that is not scripted to come to the ground. Yesh.

Why would you ruin a perfect game by trying to do all that stuff?

Well if the game is perfect, then all that stuff is, as part of the game, also perfect, so why wouldn't you want to!

It's part of the design. That is what the designer created to be completed. There are ten exclusive items tied to those time attacks. It's too bad R1 really doesn't work that well since the game can't often figure out which direction the gravity is pulling from despite it being about a game where you hold on to stuff in all directions in mid air. If you can't love the game warts and all, then it's not a perfect game.

It would be like being in a relationship with someone that is great but they also like to pour rubbing alcohol into the eyes of children as a hobby. How are you just gonna ignore that?

There's also that secret fruit garden on the top of that tower tied to getting your stamina from beating the game nearly four times. Luckily in the PS2 version everyone could just glitch and skip that poorly thought out tedium. Too bad almost no one playing the HD collection will ever see it because it's patched.

Also that one fucking boss where you fall into the water and have to swim back. Fall again, swim back. Please spend 3 minutes holding the analog stick up for failing.

Haha wow, I'm mostly just ambivalent about the game. You've got some real hate for it!

Fight on, keep strong.

I don't think I have much more to say. Everything else was fine. I'm usually very forgiving of games that have gameplay ticks among otherwise amazing atmosphere, art direction, and story, but this one was particularly messy.

Also the 100%ing is important. If it's a great game, then all design elements should be taken into account as part of the game. Otherwise why would they be there if not to be completed? It's the reason I made sure you got all masks in Majora's Mask, Twig, since that is a game where 100%ing is actually rewarding and illuminates some of the best parts of the design. You rescue all the slaves in an Oddworld because those are the meatiest puzzles. You get all of the pearls and photos in Beyond Good and Evil to see every nook and cranny (Christ that game is smooth).

Oh wait one more: I'm very grateful they didn't allow you to constantly ride your horse off a cliff, since it seems like that would be good design in Ueda's eyes.

It would be like being in a relationship with someone that is great but they also like to pour rubbing alcohol into the eyes of children as a hobby. How are you just gonna ignore that?

That's not a normal hobby?

Serious answer, the combination of world, tone, exploration, discovery, failure, success and wonder all created a perfect experience (for me).  You kind of sound like someone angry that the director's commentary of their favorite movie was bad and so it ruined everything forever.  You don't actually have to engage with extra content if you don't enjoy it. 

Extra content would be the videos on the HD disc, which is why it's billed that way on the box. The rest is in the game, part of the game design. Why would they figure out numbers for the time attacks and implement them to unlock the weapons if that were truly extra?

Since there's no case where there's bad commentary that has ruined a movie for me, that really doesn't make any sense. But you didn't 100% a perfect game so I don't see why I should take you seriously.

So do you not take reviewers seriously if they don't 100% games because if they don't they don't really "get" the game?

Man, what a silly argument.

I don't think you need to 100% to consider it great. Depression Quest is one of my favourite games ever, but I doubt I'll ever play it again. I've played Journey twice, but I don't think I'll go for a White Robe. I've unlocked nearly everything in Super Smash Bros. Melee, but there are definitely still some trophies and challenges I never beat. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I finally unlocked the last couple Warioware microgames I had left and I almost certainly will never ace every one of them.

Really, the only games on my top 6 favourites that I've "100%"ed are Pikmin and Portal and both have fairly low-bar.

Each of those games is still brilliant and I could easily articulate what makes them great and why I love them.

But you didn't 100% a perfect game so I don't see why I should take you seriously.

Sick burn!

I don't feel like it was a perfect burn though, there is definitely additional content you could have explored before wrapping up, so not 100 percent complete. 

So do you not take reviewers seriously if they don't 100% games because if they don't they don't really "get" the game?

Man, what a silly argument.

Only if they think it's perfect or the bee's knees.

The way some people feel when the Half-Life 3 thread is brought up is the same way I feel when this thread is brought up.

I often think to myself that there are clear inheritors to HL2 (Wolfenstein, Metro 2033), and its influence is so pronounced in many games that my desire for a sequel isn't as strong as seeing another 3rd person action game that does what Ico or Shadow of the Colossus did (some people have suggested Nier to me). Am I totally wrong? Are there great games in the vein of Ico and SotC that I'm not seeing?

I always put journey in the same light as SotC. As well as child of Eden. (Even though it's no where near as good as rez)

Yeah, Journey's the only game I've played that feels in the same way at all to those. It's much smoother than either though.

What is ThatGameCompany working on? Perhaps Sony could just hand them all the assets from Last Guardian like Gearbox and Duke Nukem Forever.

Probably not though, but I can dream.