The only thing that really bothered me about that video was that the combat looked REALLY slow. There was a lot of the guards just standing there looking at him blankly, which has always been a bizarre and unintuitive situation.

Oh good, a Dishonored clone. They just lost my money, but maybe you guys will enjoy it. Annoying "Interview" interrupting gameplay, as a warning.

It's funny that you say "Dishonored clone" because Dishonored is a spiritual sequel to Thief (made by some ex-Looking Glass people)

Dishonored has far more of a combat slant than Thief though, and the second i saw bullet time and executions in Thief 4, i tuned out.

I didn't much like Dishonored, and i don't want Thief to be that.

Dishonored has more of a combat slant if you let it. U: You can definitely play that game avoiding most combat.

Until the typical Shitty Last Level where everything blows up all at once. Unfortunately.

Dishonored has more of a combat slant if you let it. U: You can definitely play that game avoiding most combat.

Until the typical Shitty Last Level where everything blows up all at once. Unfortunately.

I don't think this choice matters when the fact remains that the design itself is slanted to combat, many of Dishonored's abilities are only applicable in acts of violence.

It's stealth purely for personal amusement, where stealth in Thief was very much enforced, there was a real physical threat to Garrett because of his inadequacy in a fight.

That, to me, always felt like a much more meaningful and thoughtful design. The efficient response to being spotted was more stealth, it wasn't to go murder everybody in the immediate vicinity.

I hate to be one of those people who shits all over the new thing because it doesn't line up with the memory of the old, venerated thing, but fuck this game.

haha oh boy, that sounds terrible. 'We limit you to one path so that you see all the fancy shit we made. If you had freedom in our game you might miss all the work we put into it.'

"We released our new multi-song album as one long track to discourage skipping over anything."

Haha I like that analogy. I have nothing else to say other than that I'm now completely turned off of Thief.

Oh except to people who still want to compare it to Dishonored: lol@u.

rope arrows only attach to specifically marked anchor points that have been placed by level designers – anchor points that seemed to exist when the only way forward was through the use of a rope arrow.

I made a quiet hissing noise at this point. This sounds… uninteresting.

I made a quiet hissing noise at this point. This sounds… uninteresting.

Hmm... yeah. Although in Thief it was similar -- most places you'd want to get up were stone and sometimes a special wooden thing would be placed for rope arrow fun. Still, that was way more systemic-like than special anchor points.

Still, that was way more systemic-like than special anchor points.

Which trigger a sweet mini-cutscene of Garrett mantling up and over the obstacle in a way that won't be tedious at all the twentieth time you've seen it.

I hope said mantling is accompanied by a similar amount of heavy breathing as in the older games. I was always afraid a guard would hear Garrett's gasping and choking.

WHO TALKS LIKE THAT IT'S TERRIBLE

edit: Is that a common way of doing video narration? Have I just lived my whole life without ever hearing that kind of horrible droning, or have I suddenly become aware of it? Is it just me? I couldn't watch the video all the way through – my brain kept focusing on the disgusting fake enthusiasm repetitive tone pattern recitation, easily predicting exactly how every next word would come slithering out, and I missed the message completely.

This game has followed a depressing trajectory, starting by launching off the high expectations people naturally had after playing the fantastic «Deus Ex: Human Revolution,» and today scraping along the ground as a whittled-down, watered-out version of the original game(s) without any of the exploration, systems or room for improvisation. Everything I've read about it makes it seem like a good contender for disappointment of the year. Let's hope it surprises everyone by being terrific!

Honestly, I think I'll actually like this game. I prefer the modern stealth games that empowers you than the hardcore ones.

I just think that they shouldn't do it with a franchise that wasn't like that, it creates wrong expectations among the fans. Why not create a new IP then?

Honestly, I think I'll actually like this game. I prefer the modern stealth games that empowers you than the hardcore ones.

I just think that they shouldn't do it with a franchise that wasn't like that, it creates wrong expectations among the fans. Why not create a new IP then?

Try watching the above preview, they complain a lot but not even more than a few words about too much action. Mostly it's both way too linear and way too easy. Not too mention that the action itself is generally supposed be quite boring. This game has looked horrid in everything except visuals, in literally every manner you can imagine, in every preview I've seen of it. I don't think I've seen a single praisworthy assessment of it, the closest I've seen come is Polygon's latest which mostly praises that there weren't the game crashing bugs present the last time they played it.

Please, please do not be suckered in by this awfulness in any way. They've gone through like 4 lead developers, and 5 years and don't have anything to show for it. Maybe if people stopped buying awful games as soon as they came out (cough, Sim City) then we'd get less awful games.

I think it looks fine. Linear doesn't have to mean bad. Lots of linear games are fucking fantastic. And as for "easy", well, it's a preview?

I get the anger over it not being a true Thief game, but it is by no means bad-looking. Bad Thief game doesn't have to mean bad game. (Though I still have no personal interest in it.)

I think it looks fine. Linear doesn't have to mean bad. Lots of linear games are fucking fantastic. And as for "easy", well, it's a preview?

I get the anger over it not being a true Thief game, but it is by no means bad-looking. Bad Thief game doesn't have to mean bad game. (Though I still have no personal interest in it.)

Again though, no praise, from ANYONE. No one thinks this game is good. But there's this cognitive dissonance. "Well... maaaaybe." Like people want to think, physically need to think that somehow, some way it's going to be good.

Show me one preview, one that's actually positive on the gameplay. I've yet to see any, checking Eurogamer and Polygon and RPS and Kotaku and... no one is impressed with this thing. Now ask yourself why you're suddenly defending it and interested in it? And look back at last year, at Battlefield 4 and Sim City and NBA 2k14 and... Marketers are getting to you man, they get to all of us. Shoving into our brains to spend $60 on a brand new title that's going to be crap because hey the graphics look pretty! or something.

Well I want to lead a revolution against that. Time to stop paying for crap because it looks pretty, when you may not even be able to physically play the game you just bought after release because the devs felt more like releasing before christmas than releasing a working game. All I'm saying is, please wait for reviews. Reward good products rather than flashy advertising, we've had way too much of the latter for years now.

interested in it?

I pretty explicitly said I'm not. I don't even know what marketing you're talking about. This is the first media I've seen of the game that lasted more than thirty seconds. What marketers? Point to the marketers that have infested my brain! As for why there's no positive press: could just as easily be because everyone wants Thief and isn't getting it as it could be the game actually being bad. This playthrough looked decent enough for what it was trying to do, even if it's not something I want.

Sorry I'm not about to get all up in arms because a game does something I don't like. I don't have the energy for that shit anymore.

All I'm saying is, please wait for reviews.

Haha, is that so. I almost said that exact same thing in my post but opted not to for various reasons. You're getting super goddamn angry before any reviews come out, so you're being a bit hypocritical!

Again though, no praise, from ANYONE. No one thinks this game is good. But there's this cognitive dissonance. "Well... maaaaybe." Like people want to think, physically need to think that somehow, some way it's going to be good.

Show me one preview, one that's actually positive on the gameplay. I've yet to see any, checking Eurogamer and Polygon and RPS and Kotaku and... no one is impressed with this thing. 

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/wtiada/thief-preview