It took me way too long to figure out that people were pronouncing it "Five - no" like a sports score. I suck at this game.

Oh shit. That makes even more sense. Not a word I ever think about using though.

Oh shit. That makes even more sense. Not a word I ever think about using though.

I was pronouncing it five:null

If you're going to use nill, use \0

No, it's a common way of scoring, particularly in Football.

Exactly, it's one o' them "britishisms" that us North Americans take forever to figure out.

Inspired by Kieron Gillen and Steve Gaynor, I put my Xbox copy of Thief: Deadly Shadows into my Xbox 360 to keep the memory of Thief warm as we wait for the sequel.

The Xbox 360 conversion of the game is just barely playable. The first thing you must do is go into the options menu and turn the Music volume down to zero. Otherwise, you must listen to a horrible, pulsing, screeching buzz throughout the entire game. Since Thief's music is ambient noise, it removes a lot from the game. Every guard sounds like he's patrolling a hotel lobby.

Also buggy: fire effects. Torches shine through the walls, making it extremely difficult to tell if you can douse them from a distance.

And load times have not improved at all on the Xbox 360.

Other than that, Deadly Shadows still feels like Thief and it's still fun to sneak around and blackjack guys who share the same three voices. I don't know if I'm going to play through to the Shalebridge Cradle, though.

I have the Xbox and PC versions of both DXIW and DS. I initially bought both for PC, but they ran horribly. Years later I bought the Xbox versions cheap, but they also run horribly. I've played most of DXIW two or three times but never more than a few missions of DS. I always get totally and utterly stuck in the Thief games, just unable to find the thing I'm supposed to be interacting with, so as soon as I'm done mucking about with the guards and the hilarious voices I lose interest.

Thief: Deadly Shadows is 75% off on Steam—but only for the next 13 hours!

Do these sales hint at any possible upcoming announcement about the fourth game? Or does Steam just have sales to have sales?

Anyway, go buy Deadly Shadows if you haven't already played it.

Thief: Deadly Shadows is 75% off on Steam—but only for the next 13 hours!

Do these sales hint at any possible upcoming announcement about the fourth game? Or does Steam just have sales to have sales?

Anyway, go buy Deadly Shadows if you haven't already played it.

It is announced http://www.thief4.com/. I expect it's no more than a Steam daily sale.

After Deus Ex and seeing that I really can't wait. Loved Thief and am confident that they can carry on a quality game.

I hope they don't go down a more Dishonored/Deus Ex-like road with the game, because if it ends up being the kind of game that you can just murder your way through, they fucked up. Thief should be a stealth game first and foremost.

Also, shadows need to be a big deal, the light gem and all that. Given that Human Revolution downplayed shadows and focused entirely on line of sight stealth, i'm a little worried on that front.

I loved the hell out of Human Revolution though, those Eidos Montreal guys have earned some good faith.

I don't like the look of this at all. I hope those images are not representative of the final product.

Human Revolution had really strong artistic direction and a unique style.

This looks like all overly detailed textures and teal and orange like fucking everything else coming out for the past few years. Deadly Shadows got carried away with the bump mapping for sure, but at least it had that cool purple light that made it stand out.

I won't turn my nose up at the rest of the game if it's good, but this stuff sucks. Where's Jonathan Jacques-Belletête when you need him?

These are certainly "safe" screenshots—no beastmen or moss arrows to scare away the AAA crowd!

Also not enough loot! Show us the goods!

I don't like the look of this at all. I hope those images are not representative of the final product.

Human Revolution had really strong artistic direction and a unique style.

This looks like all overly detailed textures and teal and orange like fucking everything else coming out for the past few years. Deadly Shadows got carried away with the bump mapping for sure, but at least it had that cool purple light that made it stand out.

I won't turn my nose up at the rest of the game if it's good, but this stuff sucks. Where's Jonathan Jacques-Belletête when you need him?

I think it looks fantastic! Finally, the first real next gen looking game, not Ubisoft's crap split gen stuff that you can tell is being held back by being on the 360/PS3. Sure, I hope the entire City doesn't look like that, would be rather dreary, but so far I'm sold on the visuals.

I like the thought of a Thief game with similar city rendering tech to Assassin's Creed. I cringe at the thought of it having AC's game design. <-- edit: oops, my bad. Yes, I have a lot of faith in them too since Deus Ex: HR

Everything is flat, sharp as fuck, and uniformly busy at a micro scale. Looks like Skyrim with overly sharpened textures. There is no art direction, only a texture mill and a model farm and nothing in between. It is very much not like Dishonored in this way at all.

Then again, the original Thief was ugly as sin, so who knows. I would've preferred something more inspired by decisions made by Mark of the Ninja. You know, something all-around more designed.

I'm a bit disappointed by the art direction (or lack of it) as well. Still can't wait to play it, though.